2013 Ford Fusion 2.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, my wife drives a 2013 Ford Fusion 2.5 with about 73k miles. I just put some MC 5w-20 for its current change. She drives about 5k miles per year with a lot of short trips. Would you guys run the fillnfor the full year or drain it at 6 months or so?

I usually use PP 5w20 but they were out of stock at Walmart when I went shopping

Originally Posted by mattd
I usually use PP 5w20 but they were out of stock at Walmart when I went shopping

It's fine you could have saved some coin and used SuperTech Synthetic.

Well I'm not going to drain it out and change it again. Would you guys change it out before winter or let it ride until spring?

Just use OLM. The Fusion's 2.5 is really the Mazda MZR engine which is quite stout. It also happens to be pretty easy on oil. I got a data set of well over 200 UOA samples from Blackstone for the Fusion 2.5, and the average iron wear was barely 1.1ppm/1k miles, so have no fear. I'd run it until the OLM gets down to 10-20% regardless of how long it takes, it is fairly accurate and will adjust for lots of short trips.

If you're concerned, just change it around 12 months regardless of mileage. I have over 100k of UOAs on a 2011 Fusion here on the board which is mechanically identical to yours. I started with about a 7.6k OCI and ended up stretching it to over 17,000 miles. I'd say you have zero concerns with anything 10k and under as long as you're using a name brand oil in these engines.

Thanks for the info subie. I have been running the OLM to 15-20% and changing it with PP and a MC filter. I'll let the MC 5w20 and the MC filter go the year unless I get bored.

Pretty sure any any for a year...

I've been doing 1- 1.5 years on Full syn oil changes for my low mileage Cavalier for a good 6-7 years now with no issues at all.

Once a year is probably sufficient as long as there some long trips thrown in the mix
smile.gif

It's very rare we take the car on long trips. It's usually my truck when we go out of state or anything that. The car sees a lot of idle time especially in the winter and short trips to and from work, grocery store, etc

I have put some 480K (miles) on my last three Duratech Ford engines using M1 0-20 oil and MC filters at 10K OCIs. Great combination.

In my wife's 2016 fusion 2.5 I use the Havoline bag in a box, Pro Ds 5w30 synthetic because its 6qts,I also use the motorcraft filter, total cost is less than 25 bucks.
For your application it would work well for a once a year service. Based on the miles you may be able to stretch it out to 18 months.

We have the 2.5L in our escape. Coming up on 200k with a diet of mostly QSUD 5w20. The 2.5L is virtually Indestructible as long as you use an API rated 5w20/30

I agree with a once a year change with a synthetic 5w20 and decent filter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back