Firefox Broken

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are other fixes possible, and some work better on certain platforms than others. I don't want people to be breaking their Firefox installs if they're not sure what they're doing, but in Linux, I simply had to change the addon signing policy in the config and all was in order. In Windows, it didn't seem to help in user mode but it did when Firefox was opened with administrator privileges.

All I can say is be patient. If it isn't resolved in a couple days, I'll be experimenting with a proper workaround and post it, no warranties express or implied.
wink.gif
I'm fairly confident in my Linux workaround. Windows is a little more flaky.

Nonetheless, what a bunch of fatheads.

Of course, they have to be cautious with the user base, which is why the potential work around requires some caution. I generally have a pretty good idea of what I'm installing, so circumventing a security provision for a few days or weeks isn't a big deal, and, besides, I know exactly how to undo what I did. As uc50ic4more pointed out some time ago in a thread, people see the tongue in cheek warranty warning when going to a config screen in Firefox and get a little nervous. The setup isn't exactly user friendly, to make matters worse. As an aside, messing in the config screen is getting to be easier than the convoluted menus.

Originally Posted by 69GTX
"Studies" didn't work for me either....and I have the current Firefox updates. And they said as much in their twitter updates that it doesn't work for everyone. Looks like I'm stuck with this. Maybe I'll head to another browser...though I hate the Google Chrome set up and Internet Explorer is a nightmare.

Same here. When I heard about this "hotfix" I made sure studies was enabled then rebooted. The hotfix was then listed as "active" but no addons. A short time later I closed FF and then restarted. The hotfix was then moved to "completed", but still no addons.

about:config and set xpinstall.signatures.required to false
Worked for me on ESR and OSX.

Originally Posted by CrAlt
about:config and set xpinstall.signatures.required to false
Worked for me on ESR and OSX.

Thanks. I do get weary of their activism.

Originally Posted by Touring5
Same here. When I heard about this "hotfix" I made sure studies was enabled then rebooted. The hotfix was then listed as "active" but no addons. A short time later I closed FF and then restarted. The hotfix was then moved to "completed", but still no addons.

Has it come back for you? The CrAlt suggestion is the temporary fix, and may have to be done under administrator in Windows. In Linux, it simply works, and I tried it with several LiveDVD distributions to verify that. Fortunately for me, with the Windows at the office, the fix came through and everything is back to normal, and I reverted to the default XPI signing behaviour, which does have some importance here and should not be overlooked.

I tried several restarts over an hour or so and didn't pursue it any further. This morning it downloaded the new version (66.0.4) and all the extensions are back.

That's good. At worst, I would have recommended a clean install if it was still picky. It was smooth on the office Windows. It hasn't come down the repositories in Mint yet, and my workaround is good enough until it does, so I'm not going to play around finding the package.

Same here.... Came back today and downloaded latest version. Fixed. Things happen in the "IT" world - glad to see it wasn't a major issue.

It is a reminder of some of the features we take for granted and how much all the browsers have been slipping in that regard. I don't like feature bloat, but some of these things could be easily be incorporated into browsers. I realize ad blockers are a little more trouble to have as inherent to the browser, since they are going to need some reasonable developer attention; after all, it's a competition between those selling ads and those blocking them. The ability to shut down various types of scripts, however, without going into the guts of the browser settings, should be there, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back