JASO MA class oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by bulwnkl
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Originally there was only JASO MA ... then JASO split MA it into MA1 and MA2 (ie, two separate friction level definitions).

So if a bottle of oil says "JASO MA" it could mean either MA1 or MA2

Agreed, but JASO MA can also mean that the fluid meets MA1 for one or two of the friction tests, and MA2 for the other(s), as your chart shows.

it means Jaso MA (as in pre split spec)
as in if the bottle says Exceeds JASO MA its referring to the org. spec.

if its Jaso MA its fine for bikes and if it says MA2 its fine for bikes.. if it says MA1 its not is the bottom line.

Jaso MA1 doesnt exceed JASO MA in this case.

Originally Posted by Rand

if its Jaso MA its fine for bikes and if it says MA2 its fine for bikes.. if it says MA1 its not is the bottom line.

That is a misunderstanding. MA1 is a sub-segment of MA. If the spec is MA, MA1 meets the spec. In fact, if the spec is MA, any of:
MA1,
MA2, or
MA
meet the spec.

There are some motorcycles which specify MA2. For those, MA does not meet spec, nor does MA1; only MA2. Japanese bikes are generally easy: anything that's MA, which includes all MAx sub-divisions, meets the spec.

Originally Posted by Rand
Originally Posted by bulwnkl
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Originally there was only JASO MA ... then JASO split MA it into MA1 and MA2 (ie, two separate friction level definitions).

So if a bottle of oil says "JASO MA" it could mean either MA1 or MA2

Agreed, but JASO MA can also mean that the fluid meets MA1 for one or two of the friction tests, and MA2 for the other(s), as your chart shows.

it means Jaso MA (as in pre split spec)
as in if the bottle says Exceeds JASO MA its referring to the org. spec.

Jaso MA1 doesnt exceed JASO MA in this case.

Look closely at the table I posted earlier. The MA friction spec range is now divided into MA1 and MA2.

I'm not current as to what they all mean but generally you want Jaso MA or Jaso MA2, if it calls for Jaso MA you can also use Jaso MA2 just like SM/SN or SN/SN+ in that regard. I have never seen Jaso MA1 nor oil that has that spec, MA1 says low friction so I'm guessing means for bikes that use a dry clutch such as Moto Guzzi. The problem that I've found when shopping for motorcycle oil is that they sit on the shelf a very long time and will not have the current specs. I bought a ton of Castrol Power1 on sale at Auto Zone fairly recently and one of the bottles was Power RS which is the old version but the Power1 is the current synthetic oil they make. Me personally I look for MA2 because it should mean in theory that it's a newer oil in that sense.

Jaso MA and Jaso MA1 are totally different and not really interchangeable.

Originally Posted by Merek
I'm not current as to what they all mean but generally you want Jaso MA or Jaso MA2, if it calls for Jaso MA you can also use Jaso MA2 just like SM/SN or SN/SN+ in that regard. I have never seen Jaso MA1 nor oil that has that spec, MA1 says low friction so I'm guessing means for bikes that use a dry clutch such as Moto Guzzi. The problem that I've found when shopping for motorcycle oil is that they sit on the shelf a very long time and will not have the current specs. I bought a ton of Castrol Power1 on sale at Auto Zone fairly recently and one of the bottles was Power RS which is the old version but the Power1 is the current synthetic oil they make. Me personally I look for MA2 because it should mean in theory that it's a newer oil in that sense.

Jaso MA and Jaso MA1 are totally different and not really interchangeable.

How can JASO MA and JASO MA1 be "totally different" when MA1 is a subset of MA. Look at the friction ranges defined by MA, MA1 and MA2 in the table I posted on page 1 of this thread. JASO MA2 spec has a higher friction spec than MA1.

If a motorcycle has a dry clutch, JASO spec wouldn't even come into play because the JASO MA, MA1 and MA2 spec is specifically addressing wet clutch use.

More info: https://www.ducati.ms/forums/120-oi...ar-vs-catalytic-converter-longevity.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back