Freeze Frame P-000008 code but no DTC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings All-
Is it possible to register a freeze frame P-000008 PID on a scanner but not have any stored or pending DTCs or an illuminated CEL? My understanding is that once a DTC is stored, and the CEL lights up, the freeze frame records what happened when the code was thrown. If no DTC or CEL, then what is the freeze frame recording?
Perhaps its the cheap ELM adapter and free Car Scanner that are confused and there really is nothing to report. Car runs great and if I had not poked around looking for trouble, I would not have known of any issue.

Could very well be your scanner. I used to have a cheap-o unit that would set a CEL on my Tacoma (and only on my Tacoma) for O2 sensor voltage low when plugged in. The CEL would immediately go away when I removed the scanner.

Turns out p-0000 indicates no malfunction. The -08 on the end is a checksum for data integrity and is what caused my confusion. p-0008 by itself means engine timing differences between banks. On a Porsche which may have 3 or 5 chains driving the camshafts this would be a cause of concern. You guys with a timing belt-consider yourselves lucky and don't complain about changing them LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back