Donaldson filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
After looking online, I've had no luck finding a place to buy Donaldson filters for a decent price, does anyone know where they can be bought for a fair price?
My co worker just picked up a few P550794 oil filters for his 4.8 Chevy (P550794 crosses to ACDelco PF48/PF48E) He bought 6 at $4.61 each, but shipping was $17 so he wont be buying them again unless they can be had for cheaper. They are built like a tank, very heavy, and the louvers in the center tube are well formed and open. It has a nitrile anti drain back valve but seems to be well made. Does Donaldson make most of their filters in house or do they source some to an outside party?

I can get Baldwins from a local distributor for a great price, they have a large selection in stock at all times. Which would you pick between Baldwin and Donaldson? Either one seems built very well.

https://www.genosgarage.com/category/oil-filters

This is a good place for Fleetguard like you are using now and Mopar. Not to bad on shipping. Good source for Ram trucks stuff.

Donaldson DBL 7349 or the ELF 7349 seem to be pricey from everywhere. Baldwins BT 7349 or BT 7317 are also decent filters and inexpensive.

If you are interested..

Baldwin's BT filters are intended to be used as transmission filters...

All of Donaldson's 20mm thread filters are nowhere near even Premium Guard quality; on Donaldson's website I think their best 20mm filter is 99%@35 microns. Some don't reach 99% until 40 or even 50 microns. That, coupled with the price premium, means I will never have a Donaldson on my Subarus unless they're given to me.

OTOH, the DBL filters are phenomenal if they fit your thread size and you've got room for the length. They're essentially diesel-only unless you've got a remote mount.

OP- try crossfilters.com & for larger orders, dieselequipmentinc.com

If available for an application, I'd pick Donaldsons SynTeq over equivalent Baldwins & Stratapores 8 days a week.

I don't see a Donaldson DBL filter cross reference for that part number, only Donaldson's standard cellulose 40 micron @ 99% efficiency filter.

I'd get a Baldwin or Wix/NAPA Gold in this particular case.

Why not Amsoil? I thought Donaldson made their EaO line of filters? They advertise 98.7% efficiency at 20 microns.

Donaldson SynTeq media - 20µ @ 100%, 15µ @ 98.7%, 7µ @ 59.97%

Amsoil either uses or licenses SynTeq media, but their canisters/valves etc are not made by Donaldson.

Originally Posted by metroplex
Why not Amsoil? I thought Donaldson made their EaO line of filters? They advertise 98.7% efficiency at 20 microns.

Originally Posted by ofelas
Donaldson SynTeq media - 20µ @ 100%, 15µ @ 98.7%, 7µ @ 59.97%

Amsoil either uses or licenses SynTeq media, but their canisters/valves etc are not made by Donaldson.

Originally Posted by metroplex

Given the OP's original parameters, I would think that the Amsoil filters are a little steep in the pocket anyway.

I use a Baldwin B7243 right now, and being an idiot, I deleted the actual numbers, but according to the tech department, they were more efficient than a Mann W811/80 filter, but not up to the Fram Ultra Guard specs. So a happy medium given my habits and needs.

I sent a new B7243 to 53' Stude which he graciously C&P'd last year, and am getting ready to send the used 7243 for C&P. The can will be ugly though, I was teaching my stepson how to change the oil on the Odyssey since we gave it to him and he mangled the feces out of it with a filter wrench since he has no grip strength. It's not 20 micron strong, but it is constructed superbly and is probably 99%@25 micron. The biggest thing that prevents me from running Baldwins are two things: no local places to buy them; and every online place that carries them charges more for shipping than the cost of the filter itself!

I buy Donaldson filter at the local Kenworth dealer. Great service and reasonable prices - $4.50 to $6.50 each.

Sam

I'd go with Baldwin if you can get them easier. Both filters have a great reputation in the heavy duty diesel market, can't go wrong with either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back