Kentucky derby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Opinions? It looked to me like Maximum Security moved over a couple of lanes coming off the 4th turn. Whether a sloppy track caused it or the jockey, after watching the replay several times, I feel it was a good call.

Yup, the horse did not maintain his lane and drove another horse into the rail. Took way too long to make the decision.

Last edited:
My layer of insulation from not having a dog in the fight is surprisingly thick.

I've never heard the word, "lane", used in horse race talk....not sayin' it's not.

I always thought ploughing one's way through the pack was part of the game.....not sayin' I know.

To me, it seems that the whiners want horse racing to be conducted like boxing and figure skating: The competitor with the higher ranking going into the match is given the benefit of the doubt at any decision making time. Bend the rules. Blame the track conditions, the crowd noise, the inexperience of the horse. The stewards were in a no-win situation whatever call they made. To me, the decision was the lesser evil of the options and demonstrated more integrity than had they made an interpretation otherwise.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Yup, the horse did not maintain his lane and drove another horse into the rail. Took way too long to make the decision.

Why are the race horses allowed to move lanes, but not the last turn-forward? They should be allowed to block late surges from the outside.

Seems unfair that only offense can be displayed by a horse and not defense.

Best defenses often win championships in other sports. My Gawd!.... even Billiard Championships. So why not horse racing too?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Leo99

Why are the race horses allowed to move lanes, but not the last turn-forward? They should be allowed to block late surges from the outside.

Seems unfair that only offense can be displayed by a horse and not defense.

Best defenses often win championships in other sports. My Gawd!.... even Billiard Championships. So why not horse racing too?

I think blocking while horse racing, would put the horses and jockeys in life or limb danger. If they clipped heels horses or people could be dead.

Justin
The movement right was subtle and done by the horse, not the jockey. Plus no one was to the direct-right when the subtle changes occurred. Lastly, proof that the jockey didn;t lead the horse to the right was the jockey has no eyes in the back of his head. He never looked around to see if a late charge was taking place immediately to his right.

Lastly Pt2: There should be limits to appearances in this race. Instead of doing this for the love of money by the Kentucky Derby Association, they should limit the race to Top-10. When they run 19, closeness, bumping and tightness, should be all part of the race. So should lane changes, both early and late in the race.

The Derby Association and any other organization governing these top-3 races, have their brains up their butts with crazy rules. No jockey in the lead wants to endanger his life either. Nor does he want his horse to break a leg, so-to-speak.

Defense should be allowed. Matters-not if it's intentional or non-intentional.

Last edited:
Personally, I think it's an obvious call if the action causes horses to check strides and forces them into another track...I've never heard of the kind of defense being talking about in this thread but that's irrelevant. The danger involved should be self-evident along with the money involved in procuring and maintaining a top horse. These aren't throwaway investments in a demolition derby that could severely injure or kill jockeys.

You'd think that the long delay was as much about "How much does this hurt the race, the sport, and monied interests?" as it does doing the right thing. There's always a first...

Maybe the horse thought it was in NASCAR, at Talladega, and wanted to do a little block? Lucky he didn't get spun into the wall!
crazy.gif
Lawsuit filing in 3...2...1...

I've walked on that track and it is 2-4" of deep sand dry. When it has water on it,it is pure slippery slop. To me the horse sort of slid to his right in the slop. He didn't really block the other horse. Guess it is technically correct per the rules but it means No Triple Crown this year. They took that away from racing fans with their decision.

Every horse should be allowed to change lanes subtly, as long as they don't bump the horse next to them. If no changing lanes is allowed late in the race, then don;t allow it earlier in the race.

example: Every horse out of the gate has to stay in his own given lane.... throughout the race...... or be disqualified.

If you do that,. then the entire course needs to be re-designed. Make the course straight instead of oval. Fastest in a one mile race wins.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by csandste
too many dead horses this year, especially Santa Anita.

+1. It's a vile "sport".

Last edited:
It's evident I know nothing about horse racing, but what's next, painting a line around the track the horses must follow. I have nothing to gain, but I think the real winning horse was robbed.

I think they need to turn Santa Anita into a real dirt track. Put up catch fencing and race Modifieds, Stock Cars, Midgets, Silver Crown, and Sprint Cars like at DuQuoin.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal

I think they need to turn Santa Anita into a real dirt track. Put up catch fencing and race Modifieds, Stock Cars, Midgets, Silver Crown, and Sprint Cars like at DuQuoin.

Horse vs car vs man vs dog vs ostrich. But stay in your lanes.

There's several videos on YouTube explaining why Maximum Security was disqualified. It's obvious once one sees the video breakdown and commentary from the experts. His position went from the inside rail entering turn 3 to several lanes to his right ( yes, the experts used the word lane) between turns 3 and 4 then back to the inside rail upon exiting turn 4 and down the front stretch. At least 2 horses had to break their stride to keep from running into Maximum Security. IMO the jockey subtly moved the horse over to impede the horses around him then moved him back to the rail down the stretch. The race steward made the right call and the experts seem to agree. The horses can switch lanes all day but when they impede another horse doing it, they suffer the penalty. I haven't heard the owner or jockey screaming they were robbed, which also is telling.

Last edited:
In most all thoroughbred horse races, if your horse does what Maximum Security did, you will be penalized in your finishing place. Track stewards do this all the time in keeping with the rules of horse racing.

The only difference here was that it was in perhaps the biggest horse race of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back