Amsoil Signature Series warranty discussion

Looking to put Amsoil in my new 2019 F150 3.5 EB like the rest of my cars.
Signature Series 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil with an Amsoil EAO17 oil filter.

But since their signature series oil is not certified by API, I heard Ford could potentially void your powertrain warranty.
Wondering if anyone else is concerned about that or had issues in the past.
I know Amsoil has a few oils that have the API starburst but I really wanted to use their best oil (Signature Series) that is not API certified.

Welcome to the forum.

35.gif
If you want to run Amsoil and are concerned run their oil that has the API starburst and meets the mfg. specs. This is usually a hot topic here, with lots of opinions, sometimes arguments. Honestly my suggestion leaves no area of gray.

If you don't run SS, not much point in Amsoil -vs- Walmart variety Synthetic and follow Ford PM writing

If you DO run SS, you don't break even unless you run a long OCI, and your owners manual will not support

Thats a compact torque machine … turbos and loooong chains …

Owned them before and I'd never run over 7k OCI in them …
BTW: Unless they changed, the Fram XG10575 filters that engine just as good for way less money …

The "best" oil wont do you any good if you gotta go through a long legal ordeal while your truck is sitting broken down in the remote chance you have an issue if Ford can legally deny your warranty.
I imagine if you ask Amsoil, they will give you an answer full of spin. I'd be more concerned about the octane than finding the absolute best oil.

How would Ford actually prove this with sampling? I highly doubt that there will be lubrication issues, but If they were to pull a sample, how would they determine its Amsoil, which by defaults should blow the MotorCraft spec out of the water, and secondly how would they determine that its not API rated?

Originally Posted by skyactiv
broken down in the remote chance you have an issue if Ford can legally deny
"Remote Chance", yes. I guess its about 1 in 1,000 odds. I'd play that. First of all, these engines rarely have engine lubrication problems that need warranty attention. Second, many times Ford will likely just see if the oil looks clean with no signs of sludge or deposits, which Amsoil will deliver ! People have written in to these forums about this with direct experience working at dealerships, and around half the time they just do an engine inspection to look for signs of oil-neglect.

Originally Posted by Audios
How would Ford actually prove this with sampling?
Potentially they could demand oil change receipts to show the owner used an API oil of the right spec & weight, something they don't always do though. A sample to Blackstone would result in a match between almost all known brands, potentially again, since this probably wouldn't even happen...
Originally Posted by Audios
I highly doubt that there will be lubrication issues,
That is the real key here. I say go ahead and play the 1 in 1,000 odds there would ever be an issue. The odds might be even better than that, I'm not sure. Conservative odds.
Originally Posted by dseg42
Signature Series 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil with an Amsoil EAO17 oil filter.
Their oil filters do not filter as well as the Fram Ultra oil filter. Ultra is cheaper too, good for up to 20,000 miles due to its synthetic wire-backed media an silicon ADBV.
I'd choose a patial-PAO name-brand oil like Mobil1 Annual Protection or EP or Castrol Edge gold-jug if you want a better oil than Motorcraft. .... Amsoil SS is very good, yet the others have caught up over the years.
Another premium oil choice for ecoboosts would be Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5w30, extra HTHS to battle fuel dilution that plagues your engine, or there is also Mobil Delvac 1 Advanced Fuel Economy 5w30 (HTHS 3.2), both oils carry the API SN gasoline engine ratings, along with a lot of tough diesel engine specs too.

Ford can say "let me see your maintenance records and receipts for materials".

Pretty slim chance. Worst chance is if something in your motor is making them eat their shirts on warranty costs. Then they'll look over every claim with a fine tooth comb.

Trav is - of course - on point.

I've seen a similar denial and a couple cases where records were requested. I also recently overheard a Ford transmission denied for lack of records, but wasn't privy to the details beyond "Ford won't pay for it unless you can produce maintenance records". I was waiting on a driveshaft recall at the time and thats all I know about it.

Not once have I been involved in (or heard of) an oil sample being requested on a warranty claim, though some of the Europeans use dyes and UV markers in approval requirements (no UV marker/dye it is not an approved oil). If they ask for something it is going to be receipts/records.

The major misconception around here is that MM gives you license to do what ever you like, which isn't true. It says a manufacturer cannot require you to use their parts (Tie in Sales). So they can't say "You must use Motorcraft oil and filter" they can recommend it, even encourage it but they can't deny coverage because you did not. They can say you must use an oil which meets "WSXXXXXXX" or "SAE XXXX". The other one is that the manufacturer must PROVE the aftermarket part caused the failure, which is technically true, but in practice if they deny, you're up against a huge corporation with a legal staff. By the time you win, you will have spent a new truck on lawyers. Maybe you could get Amsoil in the boat with you...

It is highly unlikely this would ever come into play, but why open yourself up to it, just use one of the oils which actually meet the specification.

Just keep it changed within Ford's mileage range. If Ford says change it every 5K,DO NOT go to Amsoil's 25K or yes,Ford can tell you to take a hike. I'm sure Amsoil (just like M1's EP line) will tell you in fine print to go by your car mgf's mileage recommendations.

I wanted to throw this out there. Something I have heard mentioned a few times elsewhere is that changing oil yourself will void your warranty. The writing states to keep your vehicle in warranty, the work has to be done by a qualified mechanic. Yeah its just a oil change and who can mess that up. But if its in writing "i have no clue where this writing exists" keeping a simple log and staying in all the correct oil specs would not do any good. ?
21.gif
?

Under warranty I wouldn't extend intervals beyond manufactures specs. I run Amsoil in both my 15 Tacoma and 18 CRV with the problematic 1.5LT. 17K on the CRV following the olm and so far so good. 7500 miles with SS 0W20.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Just keep it changed within Ford's mileage range. If Ford says change it every 5K,DO NOT go to Amsoil's 25K or yes,Ford can tell you to take a hike. I'm sure Amsoil (just like M1's EP line) will tell you in fine print to go by your car mgf's mileage recommendations.

This

Originally Posted by GaryPoe
I wanted to throw this out there. Something I have heard mentioned a few times elsewhere is that changing oil yourself will void your warranty. The writing states to keep your vehicle in warranty, the work has to be done by a qualified mechanic. Yeah its just a oil change and who can mess that up. But if its in writing "i have no clue where this writing exists" keeping a simple log and staying in all the correct oil specs would not do any good. ?
21.gif
?

Not this.

As noted, oil is never the cause of failure not changing it usually is. the problem though with warranty language is that it states the oil must be changed within a specific interval, usually (at a max) one year and 10,000 miles) now using Amosil SS and going 12-25,000 in a year is going to be a tough go with the dealer after a few years of this and an oil related engine failure. They could even try to push it and say not changing the oil is related to whatever failed. Now, Amosil of course will say that the oil is not the cause of the failure.

The problem is really the owners, the time to battle the dealer and or Amsoil to get coverage is huge, loss of the use of the vehicle, cost of attorney etc. the hassle is simply not worth it, Thus, many Amsoil users just go by the warranty OCI intervals. Now, not being API certified is a separate issue, and could be a problem but I feel less of a problem than not changing the oil within warranty specs. Again, oil related engine failures are extremely rare, the oil is not the cause, failing to change it is!!!! IMO, just go with an off the shelf synthetic and change within the warranty OCI.

skip the overpriced amsoil + use whatever synthetic that is approved until warranty is out if it concerns you as most synthetics including super-tech are very similar except the price.

Originally Posted by Trav
All hypothetical arguments aside I have only ever seen one denial for warranty based on lubrication, the engine had massive sludge and no proof of any oil changes in almost 40K. No UOA necessary on that one, if the engine is relatively clean inside and has the correct oil level I never heard of the oil coming into question.

I agree 💯

Back