2019 RAM Hemi 4x4 is the dumbest oil change I've encountered

Status
Not open for further replies.
The oil filter is way up there and when removed, oil dumps all over a wiring harness and some steering components making a giant mess. The oil drain plug is right by the front sway bar and oil dumps all over that when draining. Simply unreal. My driveway is a mess now. I won't be doing this again. Ridiculous. Shame on the engineers.

My Acadia dumps oil all over the front motor mount. So sure enough at 45,000 miles the motor Mount failed. It is as if auto engineers have never worked on an actual vehicle.

This sounds very similar to my grandmothers 2nd gen Jeep Liberty. Tucked way up infront and spills everywhere when you remove it. No matter how you try and clean it all up it drips for a couple days; free undercoating I guess. I'm spoiled by the top access filter on my GTI and now new to me Tacoma. More vehicles should be that easy!

Should be the same as my liberty...a little hard to reach but drains super neat. There's a tray that catches the oil from the filter and directs it down. Yours might be missing that if it's ever had the steering rack out. The only thing it can hit is the steering rack bushing, so I just put a bag over it. It's an easy, 15 minute oil change!

Originally Posted by Delta
This sounds very similar to my grandmothers 2nd gen Jeep Liberty. Tucked way up infront and spills everywhere when you remove it. No matter how you try and clean it all up it drips for a couple days; free undercoating I guess. I'm spoiled by the top access filter on my GTI and now new to me Tacoma. More vehicles should be that easy!

My wife had the Liberty and after it's first oil change, which I performed, I took it to my mechanic from then on for that task.

Sounds messy indeed. I changed the oil on a friends 2018 Chevy Traverse V6 last weekend and the oil filter is as difficult to reach from the top or the bottom. When loosening it from the bottom, care must be taken not burn your forearm on the exhaust down pipe right next to it. Once loose, oil drains all over an O2 Sensor harness. Not terrible but not ideal either.

Gentlemen, we were given brains for a reason.

- I always put down cardboard, old plywood, or whatever to keep drips off the floor.
- Have a suitable drain pan to catch everything.
- A ziplock bag over the filter will catch most of the mess.
- A few rags under the filter will catch any missed drips
- In some difficult locations, I form aluminum foil to catch and direct oil to the drain pan.

I hate cleaning up oily spills. A few minutes prep time eliminates the messy clean up.
[Linked Image]

We did my first change on the hoist at the dealer and I didn't find it that messy
21.gif
Yes, the filter is quite a ways up there, but that's pretty standard with the HEMI. Our old Expedition had the filter in a really tight spot (way harder to get at) and Ford actually put a splash/direction shield so that the oil went to a common spot, because otherwise it would be all over the front axle.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Our old Expedition had the filter in a really tight spot (way harder to get at) and Ford actually put a splash/direction shield so that the oil went to a common spot, because otherwise it would be all over the front axle.

Sounds like our 2005 Explorer with the 4.6 V-8. The oil filter is buried up in the front suspension and is a pain to remove and install a new one. I do it on the Rhino ramps. Also it's getting Fram Ultra filters so I only have to change it every other oil change
grin2.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted by doitmyself
In some difficult locations, I form aluminum foil to catch and direct oil to the drain pan.

I had to learn that trick on my 2008 Honda CBR600RR. Removing the oil filter would dump oil all over the exhaust headers and it would be smoking for miles after an oil change.

Originally Posted by dwcopple
The oil filter is way up there and when removed, oil dumps all over a wiring harness and some steering components making a giant mess. The oil drain plug is right by the front sway bar and oil dumps all over that when draining. Simply unreal. My driveway is a mess now. I won't be doing this again. Ridiculous. Shame on the engineers.

The best thing to do is adapt and overcome. A well placed plastic bag plus preventative protection could eliminate most of the mess. Taking it to a shop might just mean that someone else is creating the same dripping mess at your expense.

The Fumoto valve is a good idea.

My '07 Silverado 4x4 4.3 MT W/T had similar issues with poor placement of filter. Had to make up a drip tray out of disposable turkey pan. I did appreciate the molded in rubber gasket in the drain plug and cast aluminum oil pan.

So were the engineers who packaged things down there to make a regular maintenance event more difficult than necessary.

But, if anyone thinks vehicles are designed to make anything easy for the DIY guy you might be mistaken.

Originally Posted by AZjeff

So were the engineers who packaged things down there to make a regular maintenance event more difficult than necessary.

But, if anyone thinks vehicles are designed to make anything easy for the DIY guy you might be mistaken.

It depends on the manufacturer and the model. My Mazda has a access panel that reveals the drain plug and filter with no obstructions. I'm surprised when I hear of vehicles where the entire splash shield has to be removed.

- I always put down cardboard, old plywood, or whatever to keep drips off the floor.
- Have a suitable drain pan to catch everything.
- A ziplock bag over the filter will catch most of the mess.
- A few rags under the filter will catch any missed drips
- In some difficult locations, I form aluminum foil to catch and direct oil to the drain pan.

I hate cleaning up oily spills. A few minutes prep time eliminates the messy clean up.
[Linked Image]

That is what I do and have minimal mess. I drap an old tshirt over the steering rack to catch anything the ziplock bags misses.

I think the problem (where filters and drains plugs are in poor locations) stems from: engine design and where it fits are done by different teams with no communication between. Engines have optimal filter placement and are packaged for builders' convenience...engine builders have to fit into a size but likely aren't told what's just outside those areas.

So, what's just outside.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdv2Wp9MzY0

Originally Posted by HoosierJeeper
Should be the same as my liberty...a little hard to reach but drains super neat. There's a tray that catches the oil from the filter and directs it down. Yours might be missing that if it's ever had the steering rack out. The only thing it can hit is the steering rack bushing, so I just put a bag over it. It's an easy, 15 minute oil change!

It's a brand new 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back