Unknown ELC in cast iron diesel - how to proceed

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
My 82 MB 300CD turbo diesel had an orange Rotella ELC of some sort when I bought it out in LA, CA. I used the rest in a maintenance routine around 2013. The car has sat since then due to kids, but I want to start driving it again...

OE coolant was G-05, now superceded to G-48. I'm not a huge fan of going to G-48 due to the 2-eha. Ive had a lot of these cars that all keep original cooling systems on Oe coolant. They all have aluminum radiators and the nitrite content of g-05 hasn't been an issue over 35+ years, so... I'd rather take continued chances with nitrite than 2-eha in the nitrite free g-48.

I have no reason to think poorly of the ELC, I just don't know what I have. It seems that there are many types of ELC and EC-1 coolants out there, even under the rotella name. The stuff in my car is a pleasant, solid orange color. It may well be a gen-1 ELC that has 2-eha in it. But I'd rather not, if possible.

So, any opinions on what to do? I just got some G-05 on sale at Napa. I'm thinking of going to JD Coolguard II in my 91 350SD. But the 82 is not a mixed metal engine, so...

My 240D (one less cylinder) runs G-05. I'd prefer to have at least the 240d and 300cd on the same coolant, but in reality another coolant in the garage isn't a big deal given that I already have Dex, g-05, g-48 and Honda blue...

Rotella ultra ELC? G-05 via a lot of draining and refilling? Cool guard II? Something else?

Thanks!

Just for interest's sake, you may want to take a look at Shell's document portal. They have something like three or four HD ELC type coolants under Rotella, and you mentioned them in your original post, and one of them might suit your fancy.

Originally Posted by Garak
Just for interest's sake, you may want to take a look at Shell's document portal. They have something like three or four HD ELC type coolants under Rotella, and you mentioned them in your original post, and one of them might suit your fancy.

I did, and even contacted them. Rotella Ultra looked good, but Imwas told it is being discontinued. They were pushing Rotella NF though it has 2-EHA.

Ah well, that doesn't help. Maybe a fair bit of the Ultra might be available at a distributor, at least to keep you going for a while.
wink.gif
G-05 is always an easy option, but I'm beginning to wonder about its availability, too, with both Mercedes and Ford changing things up.

Nitrites are the bad ones for aluminum. My system has aluminum in it...

Actually, just got 6 gallons of JD Coolguard II because it was recommended for my 350SD mixed metal engine. So I'm going to use that in both the SD and my 300CD. I have enough G-05 in stock to use that in my 240D for another few changes...

Originally Posted by Garak
Ah well, that doesn't help. Maybe a fair bit of the Ultra might be available at a distributor, at least to keep you going for a while.
wink.gif
G-05 is always an easy option, but I'm beginning to wonder about its availability, too, with both Mercedes and Ford changing things up.

Yeah, G-05 long term availability was one thing on my mind. Seems like JD Coolguard II is the (IMO) rightful replacement for G-05 as it is a low Silicate Antifreeze HOAT with new-tech OATs, excellent corrosion protection, and no 2-EHA.

The 2-EHA was a great part of my concern. My 350SD was really well maintained. The HG hadn't breached into the combustion chamber. In being well kept, it had G-48 in it as that's what the MB 325.0 sheet now lists (vs G-05 which it used to). G-48 is nearly identical but it has 2-EHA. Could my HG have a silicone seal that was breached?

So now I'll use the same coolant for two if not three of my diesels, keep Dex in my S-10, Honda in the Hondas, and G-48 I my BMW... unless I go cool-Gard there too!

Yes, fortunately JD can be relied upon for some of these things over the years. I haven't been in the Walmart auto section for so long, I'm not even sure how much G-05, if any, is still available there, and if it's only premix, or what. Generally speaking, we do okay up here, since there are obvious problems in providing premix only coolants in our climate. You do a real flush and fill without a concentrate, January and February could get very interesting.

ELC coolants can really do well. After a decade in the car, this stuff is clean, clear, no sludge or dirt to speak of. I'm pleased. Probably could have found to a nitrite free ELC versus JD Cool-Gard II, but I think the JD product will be best for my 350SD, so I'll ultimately have fewer variants to stock.

[Linked Image]

In is going some G-05, as I have some older bottles I found in my garage, and I think it's a better mix to change over to Cool-Gard II from...

So in it goes, will drive the car maybe 50 miles and a few hot-cold cycles, heat on, and then drain that and install Cool-Gard. Will do a short interval (few months?) first time, then put it in for the long run...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back