Thinking Pentofrost A3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hit 50k miles and I wan't to flush my coolant in my 17 Subaru 3.6. Will my car know the difference between Pentofrost A3 and Subaru OEM?

I believe Pentofrost A3 is the correct one for my vehicle.

Any others to consider? Looking for 50k miles between flushes.

Yes. Your car may blow a gasket if you use the wrong coolant.

Literally...LOL

I have read that some Subaru's need a special conditioner if the head gaskets have not been replaced. I'd research it a little bit if I were you.

My choice would be Subaru OEM Long Life Blue.

I have the H-3.6 in my Tribeca, great motor! Drinks a lot of fuel though. I use Pentofrost A3 with Subi coolant additive.

I believe I have read the newer version of Subaru coolant has the conditioner already in the coolant. Your motor is probably out of the range of head gasket leak problems, but I would not take the chance, I'm pretty sure the H-3.6 is an open deck motor. The open deck motors are the leak prone motors. Most Subi motors are open decks.

Subaru coolant conditioner is said to be the equivalent of Bars stop leak.

I believe brand new, the coolant is long life and good for 10 years. Not sure if there is any mileage limits. Check your manual might not really be needed yet.

Don't consider any other coolant, Pentofrost is what you want to use for your Subi!

Pentofrost A3 is good stuff
smile.gif

Another good choice is the Zerex Asian Blue at Walmart.

Pentofrost A3, Zerex Asian Formula/blue, WM Valvoline/Zerex Asian Vehicle/blue and/or if you can find it PepBoys OEM brand concentrate blue tint. Like Suby LLSC, all long service interval Asian PHOAT AFs. I'd buy strictly on price, remembering PB OEM brand a concentrate and the others premixes.

Thanks for the info. I have the Suby conditioner already. Comes cheap ($9 for 2 bottles) from Amazon.

Just wanted to make sure on the A3 designation but sounds like there are other choices as well.

Originally Posted by BISCUT
Thanks for the info. I have the Suby conditioner already. Comes cheap ($9 for 2 bottles) from Amazon.

Just wanted to make sure on the A3 designation but sounds like there are other choices as well.

I have 2 Subbies right now and I'd use Pentofrost A3 or the Valvoline Zerex Asian blue

Mark

I'm running the Pentofrost green stuff in an 05 Subaru. Have for years.. Not sure what number/label it is but the jug is in the back of the car. As long as it's the same type/chemical makeup Subaru requires you're fine. OEM is easiest because it's OEM but my local Indy uses equivalent aftermarket fluids for tranny, coolant, brakes, etc. and it's been fine. Search and check to make sure it matches the silicate stuff and whatever special chemicals Subaru requires. There is a Subaru coolant conditioner but not sure what years it's recommended for. I think newer models it might not be necessary but I'm not sure.

I used to have a '14 Subaru Crosstrek and I bought a gallon of the Subaru brand stuff from the dealer. I eventually sold the car and still had most of the Subaru coolant leftover. Then I bought a Honda CR-V that used the "Honda blue" stuff. I did some research and as far as I could tell, the Honda blue coolant is the same stuff that Subaru uses, so I used the rest of my Subaru coolant in my CR-V, and bought Pentofrost A3 to use in it from then on. I just wish I'd known about the Pentofrost before I paid about twice as much at the Subaru dealer.

Sooo Pentafrost 3 is a rough find by me. Moving on I was told by Auto Zone that Peak Asian is replacing the Pentafrost 3 they use to carry. Is this a ok for 17 Subaru or should i stick with Subaru coolant?

Sooo Pentafrost 3 is a rough find by me. Moving on I was told by Auto Zone that Peak Asian is replacing the Pentafrost 3 they use to carry. Is this a ok for 17 Subaru or should i stick with Subaru coolant?

You can go to a Napa store, and they will order Pentofrost A3 for you. Most every independent Subaru repair shop I have heard of uses Pentofrost A2 green in older Subies, and A3 in newer Subies.

As I had stated earlier in this thread, your coolant is good for 10 years for the initial fill I believe. Its long life coolant. I only flushed my Subaru last year when it turned 10 years old. I think all Asian vehicles now have 10 year long life coolant as initial fill from factory. Second fill I believe the maintenance schedule cuts it to 5 or 6 years. That's the real reason they changed the color to blue, identification. Pentofrost A2 green and A3 blue are chemically exactly the same, only difference is A2 is 100%, and A3 is 50% prediluted ready to pour.

I don't trust Peak OET for some reason
45.gif

Advance Auto should have Pentofrost A3, and if not, Walmart has Zerex Asian Blue. Napa carries both

Other than the price, I've got no problem with Peak OET. I've contacted Peak/Old World twice about OET AF. It's a typical Asian Phoat AF, no 2eha. Bring price down and it would be a better choice. I see now selling it at PepBoys too for about same price.

That said, at current prices WM Valvoline/Zerex Asian Blue would be my choice here. ~$12 jug vs ~$20 for Peak OET. I don't know what the Suby blue premix is going for, can't imagine much more than the latter.

Thanks for the all toe advice. I have a Napa near me, I'll check them out.

Originally Posted by KneeGrinder

You can go to a Napa store, and they will order Pentofrost A3 for you. Most every independent Subaru repair shop I have heard of uses Pentofrost A2 green in older Subies, and A3 in newer Subies.

As I had stated earlier in this thread, your coolant is good for 10 years for the initial fill I believe. Its long life coolant. I only flushed my Subaru last year when it turned 10 years old. I think all Asian vehicles now have 10 year long life coolant as initial fill from factory. Second fill I believe the maintenance schedule cuts it to 5 or 6 years. That's the real reason they changed the color to blue, identification. Pentofrost A2 green and A3 blue are chemically exactly the same, only difference is A2 is 100%, and A3 is 50% prediluted ready to pour.

I believe ya! For me 10 years would be 250k or so. I will be doing CVT fluid exchange at 60k and plan on the coolant at that same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back