My auction find 1996 Chevrolet C1500 W/T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought it for $1000 only needed a good tune up and some preventive maintenance done nice to have creature comforts like a/c over my last two vehicles. It is a retired county water company truck it has high miles but runs smooth and quiet it has a 4.3 vortec and a 5 spd.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Really impressed someone thought a stick shift was a good idea for a fleet vehicle driven by many.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Really impressed someone thought a stick shift was a good idea for a fleet vehicle driven by many.

For a bare bones WT a quarter of a century ago you would not have many options.

Economy is surprisingly good averaging 21-22 highway around town is 17 the only dislike i have is the rather large 34 gallon fuel tank it seems to take a small fortune to fill it.

Originally Posted by jakewells
Economy is surprisingly good averaging 21-22 highway around town is 17 the only dislike i have is the rather large 34 gallon fuel tank it seems to take a small fortune to fill it.

You got the thrifty dad package! Rock it.

Originally Posted by mobilaltima
Simple and reliable with a great engine. Make sure the intake gaskets arent bad, replace if needed and itll last you another 23 years.

I have driven 2400 miles since i bought it and everything seems fine no coolant or oil loss and the engine is smooth.

Those were good trucks back in the day. Looks like you got a heck of a deal there. Who says you gotta spend $50,000 for a truck?

Originally Posted by HM12460
Those were good trucks back in the day. Looks like you got a heck of a deal there. Who says you gotta spend $50,000 for a truck?

The people selling $50,000 trucks.

My dad owned that exact truck in blue. His came from a Whirlpool factory in Ohio that the paint faded around the removed door stickers.

Had a 4.3, 5 speed, 8' bed, 34 gallon fuel tank. His had a vinyl bench seat. It had less miles than than the OP's, but the valve stem seals were shot when he got it.
I replaced them. I also replaced a bad engine mount and a little later the fuel pump died which I replaced.
See it if puffs smoke on a cold start. Replacing the valve stem seals is cheap and easy if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back