Two Questions about Lucas Oil Stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
OP have you verified your oil pressure with an actual gauge? The cluster is not accurate. My ,97 XJ reads 10psi but actually is 25psi, spec iirc is 13+ warm idle

^^ This first.

Then this vv
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
As others have noted:
- Say no to Lucas, it's super heavy Group I brightstock garbage with no additives other than a tackifier to make it "cling". Great for chainsaw bar oil, useless in an engine and may actually cause aeration.

- The Seafoam (stoddard solvent) is thinning your oil, which is the opposite of what you want to be doing in limping this engine along

- I'd run 15w-40 or 20w-50 as stated.

Keep in mind, none of this FIXES the problem. Neither will an HV oil pump. If your bearings our worn out of spec, you need a bottom-end overhaul. The best you can hope to do is limp it along until you can afford to do so.

Originally Posted by thescreensavers
OP have you verified your oil pressure with an actual gauge? The cluster is not accurate. My ,97 XJ reads 10psi but actually is 25psi, spec iirc is 13+ warm idle

X3. Verify first.

Put in the 10W-40, and if it doesn't give you enough oil pressure, put a bottle of STP oil treatment in with it.

It does have some AW additives, and will bring the oil up to a 50-weight without having to dump perfectly good fill of oil.

You can add a pint of STP to a full pan of oil without over-filling it too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back