Daks Over Normandy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by tom slick
30+ C-47 aircraft are flying from the US to France to commemorate D-Day.
A C-47 can fly 1,600 miles. It's 3,000 miles from Maine to London.
I haven't watched the video. Maybe they explain that. In WWII, they put them on ships.

Interesting:
Apr 1944 --- Departed US for England (Shipping Code "SOXO") and was assigned to 9th Air Force
21 Apr 1944 --- A new plane is assigned to the 61st Troop Carrier Squadron stationed in Saltby England, # 42-92841
6 Jun 1944 ---- Small excerpt detailing the night of D-Day accounted by the Crew Chief, "The red warning light had been on for a few minutes, and as we came out of the cloudbank, the green light flashed on and the pilot yelled for me to get the troopers out. The lieutenant's face looked ghastly in the green light as he felt my hand tap him on the shoulder. He gave a yell and sprang out the door followed by screaming, yelling troopers. The eighth or ninth trooper got stuck in the door--too much equipment, he couldn't get himself through--so I kicked him out. As soon as the last yelling trooper had gone out the door I thumbed the mike and yelled "All clear" and yanked in the static cords. All [censored] was breaking loose outside. Planes were blowing up in the air and the roar of exploding shells was deafening. The plane gave a lurch, then headed toward the ground at an angle as the pilot stuck the nose and the left wing toward the ground to get the utmost of flying speed. At first I thought we had been hit and was all ready to jump out the door. With one wing pointing almost directly at the ground and the throttles pushed solidly against the stops, we went barreling out as fast as the plane would go." ... "We dropped our troopers at 2:06, right on the nose as far as time calculations."

https://amcmuseum.org/at-the-museum/aircraft/c-47a-skytrain/

How Will They Get There?

The Squadron will depart from Oxford, Connecticut (KOXC); stop to refuel in Goose Bay Airport (CYYR) in Newfoundland, Canada; refuel at Narsarsuaq Airport (BGBW) in southern Greenland; refuel at Reykjavik Airport (BIRK) in Iceland; and refuel a final time at Prestwick Airport (EPIK) on the Western coast of Scotland.

The fleet will then make the next leg of this epic trip with a jaunt to Duxford Airfield (EGSU) north of London where they will position themselves with the entire international C-47 fleet for the final leg to Caen-Carpiquet Airport (LFRK) in Normandy, France as part of the Daks Over Normandy event on June 6, 2019.

When we first moved to the house, we had 2 daily aerial events . 8 AM every morning the Concorde would go subsonic. Later on the DC3 to Hyannis flew over.
grin2.gif

Graceful old birds. I got a soft spot for B-24's. My Dad was a tailgunner. The 8th Air Force, 460th Bomb Group, 761st Bomb Squadron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back