Rotella T6 15w40 not 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Shata
Thats excellent its not a SN oil either.

SN doesn't matter in a 40. Shell just isn't bothering with the SN for the entire T6 line except for the one I run.

Originally Posted by LotI
T6 15w-40

This might be the unicorn tears oil we motorcyclists have been yearning for!

Agree... They advertise lower oil consumption and it is JASO DH-2 MA/JASO MA2.... So that it is happy, happy in shared sumps with a clutch.

I've never been happy with how my bikes "drank" 5w40 T6, yet near zero consumption on conventional 15w40.

I just bought a gallon of T6 15w-40 and it will be the next oil in my KTM 950 Adventure.

Last edited:
I bought some of the new T6 15w40 in San Antonio, TX. This will be my next oil change for sure... Just have to wait a few more thousand miles to change it... I'm getting antsy...I don't understand how engine oil can be this exciting but this is my life now.

Originally Posted by oakaro68
I bought some of the new T6 15w40 in San Antonio, TX. This will be my next oil change for sure... Just have to wait a few more thousand miles to change it... I'm getting antsy...I don't understand how engine oil can be this exciting but this is my life now.

Welcome to BITOG.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Garak

SN doesn't matter in a 40. Shell just isn't bothering with the SN for the entire T6 line except for the one I run.

Wait Garak, isn't the T6 0w40 SN?

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Originally Posted by Garak

The T6 0W-40 is a CJ-4/SN oil.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot

Yes, it is. As SubaJew mentioned, it's CJ-4/SN, which is relatively uncommon, and that probably explains why. If the T6 0w-40 migrates to CK-4, Shell might not carry on with the SN. Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 was also CJ-4/SN rather than CJ-4/SM, given the time period in which it was released in North America. Ordinarily, we'd look at either as the normal CJ-4/SM lube of the day, but they were brought out after the SN rollout, rather than before, when most other CJ-4 lubes were sent out. That reminds me of the Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 certifications. It was new enough in North America to have gotten SN, old enough to have been CJ-4, and also old enough to have the previous iteration of the Ford spec before they got wigged out about phosphorus, since LE was a low phosphorus lube by virtue of its ACEA specs.

Would someone please consider posting a pic of the UPC (or numbers)? I tried to scan from pics posted with no luck. Ty

Don't get too excited about it.

Why? It's a synthetic blend, not a full synthetic.

Synthetic-blend 15W-40 oils actually perform worse in many ways than conventional 15W-40 oils because they are made of a thinner base oil and use more viscosity-index improver (VII), possibly leading to more engine wear and more engine deposits.

I would skip it and use a quality Group II 15W-40 instead.

Here is my spreadsheet for the base-oil viscosity (HTFSV) and VII content. You can see that Delo XLE did worse than Delo SDE. I don't have the HTHSV data for the T6 15W-40 but using a guess, A_Harman index is pretty low, meaning a high VII content and low base-oil viscosity (HTFSV). If you prefer or need a synthetic-blend 15W-40 (because that's what the manufacturer specifies), go with Delo XLE, which has less VII and higher base-oil viscosity.

Estimated base-oil dynamic viscosit... improver (VII) content of selected oils

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Gokhan
I don't have the HTHSV data for the T6 15W-40

Nevertheless, it's hard to give a clear verdict on the VII content and base-oil viscosity without the HTHSV data. So, perhaps it's OK, similar to the conventional Rotella 15W-40. I'm wary about synthetic-blend 15W-40 oils as I said in my previous post for the given reasons. Here is a nice brochure by Chevron on the superiority of Group II base oils in 15W-40 oils:

Chevron Group II base oils: optimise automotive engine oils

Synthetic-blend 15W-40 oils actually perform worse in many ways than conventional 15W-40 oils...

I found that Mystik JT-8 15w40 Synthetic-blend gave the best UOA wear numbers in my VM Motori 3.0L Diesel.

I asked it months ago in this thread with no answer. How exactly do you make a synthetic 15W-40? I'm not aware of any group 3 over 8cst. Must have a ton of VII and/or a lot of heavy group 2. I doubt they're using any heavy group 4 or 5 in this oil.

Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
I asked it months ago in this thread with no answer. How exactly do you make a synthetic 15W-40? I'm not aware of any group 3 over 8cst. Must have a ton of VII and/or a lot of heavy group 2. I doubt they're using any heavy group 4 or 5 in this oil.

The Rotella T6 15W-40 product label says "synthetic" (full synthetic) but the TDS says "synthetic blend." It looks like they messed up the label.

You're right that you can't make a synthetic (full-synthetic) 15W-40 out of Group III or GTL, as these base stocks are too thin.

Amsoil makes PAO-and-POE-based full-synthetic 15W-40 oils (Signature Series).

A synthetic-blend 15W-40 could be Group I & Group III or Group II & Group III. The amount of Group III varies, and it can be minimal, especially when blended with Group II.

The Rotella T6 15W-40 product label says "synthetic" (full synthetic) but the TDS says "synthetic blend." It looks like they messed up the label.

Curiously enough, Delvac Elite 222 0w-30 does something similar. The label and the data sheet say synthetic but the box (when you buy a 4x4 L) says synthetic blend on it.

All lubes available for public consumption are "blends". There's no "pure" product out there I'm aware of, in a sense that's useful for the typical BITOG application.
Even PAOs have small amounts of conventional oil in them; that's so they will carry the additives in suspension (something PAOs cannot do well).

I urge people to spend more time looking at results, and less time looking at a bottle or jug.

That's exactly it. When it comes to Delvac Elite, I'm sure the buyers aren't all that worried about base stocks, but the results when it comes to the weather conditions for which it caters.

hello thinnies! did you note chevron noting wear DECREASES with heavier viscosity lubricants!

Originally Posted by benjy
hello thinnies! did you note chevron noting wear DECREASES with heavier viscosity lubricants!

No, it does not say thicker oil. It says thicker base oil. There is a big difference.

For example, a 0W-40 has a thinner base oil than a 5W-20.

See my base-oil viscosity (HTFSV) table and thread.

Originally Posted by ofelas
So a thicker base oil (rather than a thicker oil grade) = less wear?

You may need both: thicker oil (higher HTHSV) for bearing protection and thicker base oil for cylinders/pistons and valvetrain. Higher HTHSV may also help with the cylinders/pistons.

As usual, you don't need thicker oil than necessary. You don't run 25W-60 and expect the wear to be less. This may cause other problems on its own, especially with a cold engine.

Heavy-duty diesel engines need thicker oil because they generate more torque and run at lower rpms, which pushes the lubrication regime further left on the Stribeck curve, as the lubrication parameter increases with the viscosity and rpm but decreases with the torque. [See Pages 10 - 12 in this presentation (Chevron base-oil quality by Rosenbaum).] The oil in a heavy-duty diesel engine also has abrasive soot, which further increases the viscosity requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back