Leaking F150

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after the recent spring rains I noticed a fairly large leak coming down the back of my 2011 F150. Looks like driver side above the c-pillar. Headliner was locally saturated and rear seat was saturated but no obvious dripping and no water tracks found. I figure its leaking from the driver rear corner under the black rubber piece riveted to the roof and flowing down the c-pillar behind the trim. Doing a lot of reading online and it sounds like this is a known issue that is somewhat less common than the CHMSL leak.

Anyways, figured I'd start with the CHMSL since thats a very common leak. I'm seeing reports of replacement being ineffective and people having good results with cutting out a DIY gasket and using RTV. Has anybody experience dealing with either of these potential leaks? Any tips or suggestions before I get after it?

The CHMSL mounting screws were loose on my Ford Ranger and created a leak exactly like you describe during a torrential downpour a few years ago. I was able to stop the leak just by snugging down the screws after I got home. However, like most of us on BITOG, I wanted to ensure the problem was permanently resolved. So a week later, I removed the CHMSL assembly, cleaned the rubber gasket with alcohol, and applied a thin film of black RTV on the gasket. I also used blue Loctite on the screws when I reinstalled it. It has been leak free for over 5 years.

My f150 leaked around the third brake light, the fix was to take it apart and dry it all out then seal around the third brake light with black RTV.

Never had a leak after that.

3rd brake light would be the first thing I'd check. Not F150 related, but I know it's super common on Rams and it's disturbing that the only thing keeping water out of the interior space is that thin foam gasket around the 3rd brake light housing.

Problem with RTV-ing them in place is, Lord help ya on the next bulb change and you don't want to scratch the paint around the housing removing RTV.

Was a common problem in earlier 2000's F-150s. It is the rear window gasket. It dries out, shrinks and allows water in. There is a better gasket material that solves this. That's what I was told anyway at the glass shop. I had issues with the front and rear glass. I think the front was the adhesive is attached to the paint but the great Ford paint isn't adhered to anything and peels off. Ford tough!

Last edited:
I bought a new 2010 F150 that leaked water around the satellite radio antenna. The dealer fixed it under warranty but they and Ford refused to replace the stained headliner.

If I wanted to utilize an rtv type solution what would the best led bulbs (or led chmsl assembly) be to minimize the need of disassembly later?

Had a similar problem on my previous generation F150 to yours. MIne was the 3rd brake light assembly - it was cracked, and leaking water through past the gasket. Replaced with an OEM unit for a reasonable price and I never had another issue.

The bulk of the aftermarket LED lights I looked at at the time (2013ish) were pure junk...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back