Hitch Wiring installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am trying to install a hitch wiring kit, so that I can hook up a motorcycle trailer with the recently installed hitch on Honda Civic.

Can anyone please confirm if I would have to splice the wires after looking at the connector?

I am bit confused, because the kit doesn't look the correct(and butchered) one
smile.gif

Thanks for the help.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I assume your civic has separate (amber) turn signals? That diode pack is correct.

You'll need new scotch taps (or splicing or whatever) and you might need more wire if they cut it short. But otherwise it looks legit.

Originally Posted by eljefino
I assume your civic has separate (amber) turn signals? That diode pack is correct.

You'll need new scotch taps (or splicing or whatever) and you might need more wire if they cut it short. But otherwise it looks legit.

Yes, mine has separate bulbs, I think. It's an 06 Civic EX Coupe, Should I splice the wire or safe install the connectors?

Was told to have a wiring, in order to rent a uhaul motorcycle trailer and hence the need
thumbsup2.gif

What should I do with the 'black' wire, as it says 'Battery' on it?

Originally Posted by maverickfhs

Run it off an ignition only wire-- I like the powered (heated) seats fuse for stuff like this. But first I'd see if it works without it, LOL.

These diode things are cheezy and short out all the time (typically because of the plug dangling under the bumper) so if you hook it to "always positive" it can run your battery down.

Run it off an ignition only wire-- I like the powered (heated) seats fuse for stuff like this. But first I'd see if it works without it, LOL.

These diode things are cheezy and short out all the time (typically because of the plug dangling under the bumper) so if you hook it to "always positive" it can run your battery down.

Thanks, is there a way I can test it out first to see if it actually is in working condition? I don't want to splice all the wires and realize this whole things is no good
laugh.gif

This one does not show anywhere 'battery' or black wire or that's an add on kind of thing?

It's a powered converter due to the amber tail lights. It protects the towing vehicle electronics for shorts.

Dave

Originally Posted by bmod305
It's a powered converter due to the amber tail lights. It protects the towing vehicle electronics for shorts.

Dave

Thanks, any idea if it can be used as a non- powered and if I can just ignore black/battery wire? Thank you

I have a powered light converter on my car hooked up to the battery. I have a fuse right off the battery I keep removed unless I'm towing. I forgot to pop the fuse in once and didn't have any trailer lights.
Some vehicles need a PWM type converter. The big advantage to having a powered converter is that trailers with incandescent bulbs will be brighter.

Has to be powered.

Thanks, can I use a 12V cigarette lighter plugin or has to be connected to the battery? I'll have to try a few things before I finalize it.

Has to be powered.

Thanks, can I use a 12V cigarette lighter plugin or has to be connected to the battery? I'll have to try a few things before I finalize it.

you can get power from the 12v outlet wire.

Originally Posted by Rand
Has to be powered.

you can get power from the 12v outlet wire.

Thanks, one last thing, if polarity would matter from cigarette lighter or should I just connect "+" to 'Battery' on the hitch connector and just ground the "-" on the 12V output?

You definitely know a lot!

Everything so far seems to be working well, will find out if it stays like it
smile.gif

Thanks all for your help and tips
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by blupupher
Good luck with it, you have some good advice here.

Make me glad to have paid a little extra to get a plug and play harness in the last few vehicles I have put them in.

Totally worth it, agreed.

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back