Storing old laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a new laptop and I want to store my old one as a backup.....so should I take the batter out to store it? Thank you!

Discharge the battery to <50% then store it cold. Thing is, they self discharge, so you'll need to top it up a bit every now and again.

Lithium Ion batteries should be stored at 40% charge for long term storage and should be topped off to this point every 6 months to 1 year period depending on how much natural discharge happens.

It doesn't need to go in the refrigerator! A bedroom closet would be ideal.

I think the OP meant to take the battery out so it doesn't leak or whatever. He doesn't need to have it ready to fire up at a moment's notice. I'd just put the laptop in the back of the closet in a bag with the charger cord. Nothing special.

Leo99 is right. There is nothing special to do.
Logically, you don't want to store it where the laptop is subjected to extremely high heat or extemely high temperature fluctuation.
The battery will get weaker over time whether it is used or not used.

Last edited:
In my experience it will just collect dust as it depreciates towards being worth nothing. I would wipe the drive (clean factory OS on it) and sell while it still has some value.

Originally Posted by Dave9
In my experience it will just collect dust as it depreciates towards being worth nothing. I would wipe the drive (clean factory OS on it) and sell while it still has some value.

Yup. Just like my drawer full of worthless cell phones.

I would also do a preliminary wipe-- browser history and remembered passwords, wifi passwords, documents, etc. Just in case you wind up in hospital and a well-meaning relative gets rid of it, takes it, gives it away etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back