DI engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by Eddie
SA?

Sulfated Ash.

The oil I'm using in my Corvette has very low sulfated ash (0.6%) and very low NOACK (5.6% supposedly) so those two things are key factors why I chose it for my DI engine.

Neither GM or Mobil recommend that oil for a Corvette...but the OW-40 is a "GO"! From Mobil:

" Of the product lineup, Mobil 1â„¢ ESP Formula 0W-40 is the first and only dexos2â„¢-approved motor oil developed specifically for Chevrolet Corvettes. Although Mobil 1â„¢ 5W-30 motor oil is still recommended for many generations of Corvette, ExxonMobil recommends upgrading to Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W-40 to help reduce oil consumption and provide maximum performance."

Originally Posted by K20FA5
I've settled on 0W-20 PP for my Silverado. The GTL basestock is supposed to have low volatility, at least according to the old PQIA tests they did on the GTL PP a while back.

I've always been a Pennzoil fan (Dad uses it, grew up using it), and all our cars call for 0W-20 so it's easy to buy in 5 quart jugs and use it in everything.

My truck is still new, but I don't seem to be burning any oil so far! Changed at 2000 and then again a 5000 miles.

I'm using Pennzoil Platinum for my 2018 Silverado too, at first it seemed to not consume oil with the Platinum, but now it is. I'm probably using between 1/2-1 quart per 5,000 miles. I used Super Tech once and I used around 3/4 of a quart in 5,000 miles.

I installed a catch can at 12,000 miles

Originally Posted by Bill_W
Since DI engines have a carbon deposit issue on the intake valve, is there a 0w-20 oil out there that addresses this issue?

Yes, since SA sulphated ash has been associated with increased valve deposits, you could get Mobil1 AP or EP 0w20, majority PAO oils too, and with only 0.8 SA.
Also, there is Valvoline Modern Engine 0w20 which is supposed to help. All the above oils can be ordered from Walmart online or are already on their shelves, the easy good option.
The highest performance specs for a 0w20 are in the German MB 229.71 low-SA oils: https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.71_en.html like Ravenol ECS, Mobil1 ESP X2, and LiquiMoly TopTec 6300, for example, which can be ordered online.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Originally Posted by Bill_W
Since DI engines have a carbon deposit issue on the intake valve, is there a 0w-20 oil out there that addresses this issue?

Yes, since SA sulphated ash has been associated with increased valve deposits, you could get Mobil1 AP or EP 0w20, majority PAO oils too, and with only 0.8 SA.
Also, there is Valvoline Modern Engine 0w20 which is supposed to help. All the above oils can be ordered from Walmart online or are already on their shelves, the easy good option.
The highest performance specs for a 0w20 are in the German MB 229.71 low-SA oils: https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.71_en.html like Ravenol ECS, Mobil1 ESP X2, and LiquiMoly TopTec 6300, for example, which can be ordered online.

From memory, hasn't Modern Engine been pulled from the marketplace?

Originally Posted by csandste
Why use your memory when you have walmart.com to see?

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Originally Posted by csandste
Why use your memory when you have walmart.com to see?

Must have had a ministroke cause it is on the Valvoline site. Customer ratings lowered by a zealous Amsoil user.

Originally Posted by ammolab
SA?

Sulfated Ash.

The oil I'm using in my Corvette has very low sulfated ash (0.6%) and very low NOACK (5.6% supposedly) so those two things are key factors why I chose it for my DI engine.

Neither GM or Mobil recommend that oil for a Corvette...but the OW-40 is a "GO"! From Mobil:

" Of the product lineup, Mobil 1â„¢ ESP Formula 0W-40 is the first and only dexos2â„¢-approved motor oil developed specifically for Chevrolet Corvettes. Although Mobil 1â„¢ 5W-30 motor oil is still recommended for many generations of Corvette, ExxonMobil recommends upgrading to Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W-40 to help reduce oil consumption and provide maximum performance."

I realize it's not recommended, but it's a similar formulation with lower SA, higher HTHS (even though it's viscosity at 100c is lower) and (most likely) less VII. The 5w30 ESP Formula also has a lot more certifications as well, such as BMW LL04, MB 229.31 and 229.51 and Porsche C30 (although I suspect the 0w40 might pass some of these if it were tested for it) I'm taking a bit of a warranty risk by using it since I'm sort of combining the two recommendations from the 2018 and 2019 Corvette manual. I'm using the 5w30 viscosity specified for 2018, but instead of going with a dexos1 oil, I'm going with the dexos2 recommendation from the 2019 manual. But once again, I'm super confident in my choice of oil, I think it's a very good oil, I'm just disappointed that they've reformulated it and it's NOACK is higher, HTHS slightly lower and SA is higher now. But I will still most likely run the new version once my supply runs out (I have enough for 5 more oil changes, so that should last another 3-4 more years for me)

Now I'm second guessing my choice of PP in my truck
smile.gif
Thanks guys!

I hate this site (Just kidding I LOVE it)

I might move over to the M1 AFE when this run is done. I'm second guessing the GTL now. I am planning on sending off an UOA of the PP that is in there now. I put it in at 5000 miles and going to run it until the OLM tells me to change it. The way that is going, it's going to be close to 10000 miles. It's soon, and I'm sure there will be some crud in the sample, but I want to know what is going on in there. I changed the FF out at 2000 with PP and then again at 5000 with PP.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain
That's why I've gone to a heavier oil 10w30 from 5w30. Much lower noack

NOACK does not correlate to intake valve deposits.

I disagree. I think having an oil with a lower NOACK is a big benefit to reducing intake valve deposits, along with an oil with lower SA too.

Lower NOACK does not help the intake buildup is a combination of oil mist from the PVC system, additives, combustion, and fuel.

Originally Posted by buster
SA?

Sulfated Ash.

Great choice. I believe the ESP line is the most cutting edge right now.

^^^^^^^^^

I agree... The fact the Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 has the Porsche C30 approval says quite a lot.... That is a hard spec to meet.

Low NOACK may or may not have an impact on intake valve deposits. Actually, the PCV system in general has more of an impact.... how well it is designed by the OEM to prohibit particulates and oil from going thru the PCV to the intake. Some are poorly designed, some better.

Each person can determine how they want to deal with it. I do a CRC Intake Valve cleaning procedure on my GDI engine every 10,000 miles. We will just have to see over time if that is a positive. None of my engines call for anything lighter than a 30 weight oil. So the 20 weight thing really is moot for me.

I disagree. I think having an oil with a lower NOACK is a big benefit to reducing intake valve deposits, along with an oil with lower SA too.

Lower NOACK does not help the intake buildup is a combination of oil mist from the PVC system, additives, combustion, and fuel.

+1 (PCV)

Yes, and when that oil mist is from an oil with a lower NOACK, you should have lower intake valve deposits too. And even if I was wrong, using an oil with a lower NOACK is never a bad choice.

Yes, and when that oil mist is from an oil with a lower NOACK, you should have lower intake valve deposits too. And even if I was wrong, using an oil with a lower NOACK is never a bad choice.

I fully agree with you on this, but there are some on here who claim that lower NOACK levels actually contribute to more intake valve deposits.
21.gif
confused2.gif

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by buster
Great choice. I believe the ESP line is the most cutting edge right now.

^^^^^^^^^

I agree... The fact the Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 has the Porsche C30 approval says quite a lot.... That is a hard spec to meet.

IF it would not cost me even more than the Ravenol DXG (or REP/DFE) to get, I would consider this oil for my use.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back