QSUD 10W30 In Honda ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently came upon a like - new Honda Lawn Mower (190cc) HRX217 . Not knowing when the oil was last changed , I had a quart bottle of QSUD 10W30 SN in my stash ... Hoping the oil is stout enough in the Honda with good cleaning for approx. a 25 OCI . Anyone using 10W30 QSUD in the small engine power equipment ?

OPE engines aren't stressed. Keep an eye on the oil level just to be sure.

I've used 10w30 dino in my lawnmowers Honda 160 without issue so the dino should work even better.

Tell project farm - He will do a video!

Can I run a Premium Synthetic Automotive motor oil in my Honda Lawn Mower? Lets find out ....

Last edited:
My 20+ year old Murray 3.5HP Briggs has had everything from 0W20 to 20W50 Harley oil in it. The bottom of the sump is spotless clean aluminum. I don't think these lil' engines care one bit.

Originally Posted by CT8
OPE engines aren't stressed. Keep an eye on the oil level just to be sure.

I disagree with that because they typically run under a constant load and filthy conditions.

Originally Posted by oldhp
My 20+ year old Murray 3.5HP Briggs has had everything from 0W20 to 20W50 Harley oil in it. The bottom of the sump is spotless clean aluminum. I don't think these lil' engines care one bit.

You actually change the oil ... THAT is what is most important to these engines. Most lawnmowers go a decade with no oil change ... DIE ... and get replaced.

Originally Posted by geeman789

You actually change the oil ... THAT is what is most important to these engines. Most lawnmowers go a decade with no oil change ... DIE ... and get replaced.

My lawn mower was purchased new in Oct 2004; wrote that in black sharpie on it. I've never changed the oil; it's still honey colored. I DO check the level, it actually has a dipstick. Full disclosure, it's stored in a heated garage, and I actually HAVE a lawn, so it's NOT used in dusty conditions. Starts every spring on first or second pull...BTW, it has Amsoil SS 5W30 in it.

Originally Posted by Ihatetochangeoil

My lawn mower was purchased new in Oct 2004; wrote that in black sharpie on it. I've never changed the oil; it's still honey colored. I DO check the level, it actually has a dipstick. Full disclosure, it's stored in a heated garage, and I actually HAVE a lawn, so it's NOT used in dusty conditions. Starts every spring on first or second pull...BTW, it has Amsoil SS 5W30 in it.

I'm impressed you should do a UOA on it, the commercial grade oil is pretty impressive you should look into it, heavy ZDDP dosing

Last edited:
You will be absolutely fine with the QS in there. I have a Troy Bilt push mower with the Honda gcv160 and I have PP 5w30 leftover from the truck in it but I also use Delo xle 10w30 as well. The QS really is an awesome sleeper oil and gets overlooked by so many.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
I tried QSUD 10W-30 in my car for about 3000 miles. Never again will I ever use that oil. I thought my engine was wearing out.

Do explain....

If you've never changed the oil, how did the Amsoil SS get in there ... ?

Originally Posted by BigShug681
Do explain....

Mechanical noise. It's the sound an engine makes when it's not being lubricated properly. There's been lots of complaints about Mobil 1 5W-30 being the culprit of mechanical noise. I've never experienced the Mobil 1 noise first hand, but if it's anything like QSUD noise, I wouldn't recommend it.

no readings, no theory, just noise about noise …
interesting this same company provides base stock for a couple dozen blenders too …

If you've never changed the oil, how did the Amsoil SS get in there ... ?

The plot thickens...

Originally Posted by das_peikko
Originally Posted by BigShug681
Do explain....

Mechanical noise. It's the sound an engine makes when it's not being lubricated properly. There's been lots of complaints about Mobil 1 5W-30 being the culprit of mechanical noise. I've never experienced the Mobil 1 noise first hand, but if it's anything like QSUD noise, I wouldn't recommend it.

Very interesting

Originally Posted by 4WD
no readings, no theory, just noise about noise …
interesting this same company provides base stock for a couple dozen blenders too …

Just a description of my experience with the oil. An eyewitness account. I'm not saying people shouldn't buy it. I'm just saying I will never buy it again and will not recommend it.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
I recently came upon a like - new Honda Lawn Mower (190cc) HRX217 . Not knowing when the oil was last changed , I had a quart bottle of QSUD 10W30 SN in my stash ... Hoping the oil is stout enough in the Honda with good cleaning for approx. a 25 OCI . Anyone using 10W30 QSUD in the small engine power equipment ?
It completely meets Honda's oil recommendation specs. So it would be no doubt up to the task. Better than 10w30 conventional that Honda recommends. II do have 5w30 QSUD in my B&S engined Snow Blower. I also once used that oil that ran an interval in my Kawi FR730V for 40 hours. Didn't need to add a drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back