Will LUBRIZOL PEA fuel additive damage catalytic convertor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to use LUBRIZOL PEA fuel additive ,but worry it clean the carbon deposition in the combustion chamber and then damage the catalytic convertor.
Thank you for your advice.

Originally Posted by Caiwu
I want to use LUBRIZOL PEA fuel additive ,but worry it clean the carbon deposition in the combustion chamber and then damage the catalytic convertor.
Thank you for your advice.

It's not going to clean much, if anything from the combustion chamber. Its job is to clean the fuel injector. Once in the chamber it just burns like the rest of the fuel.

There is a tiny chance that the fuel air mixture with the PEA cleaner will clean something (maybe the top of the piston) before the combustion actually occurs.

As to whether it would damage a catalytic converter? If your engine has pistons with so much carbon on them that they would damage a CC if they were dislodged, you have bigger issues. Also you wouldn't be worrying about the CC at that point, you'd be worrying about large pieces scoring the cylinder walls, getting caught between the valve and head, stuff like that.

If carbon pieces happened to make it out of the cylinder, past the valves and to the catalytic converter I suppose it could theoretically cause a hot spot that could damage the CC.

What's the likelihood this would happen? Probably nil. Like HangFire said the cleaning is going to be extremely mild or unlikely. If it does do anything it's not going to take chunks of carbon off, it's just going to dissolve a little bit of it as opposed to full-on rip all carbon off the piston tops.

PEA is harmless when it comes to cats. The question is: what kind of products do you get in your market. They can market anything as long as they can get away with it. Not counting counterfeit items.
Again, PEA is good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back