Need a new garbage disposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any suggestions on what to buy, probably from Home Depot? Not something I use very much so don't need the high end 1 HP $300 model, but would avoid the made in China ones that will quit in 5 years. Are any still made in the USA?

There has been about 3 threads here in last few months.. try search.

Personally I'd go with the Wasteking L-8000. Its been great.

I have the smallest Wasteking that costs around $60 and probably only can hold a cup of loose waste. It STILL is quieter and stronger than the base level Whirlpool from the mid 2000s that it replaced. I even made it seize up once when I dropped a shard of metal down into it and ran it.. so I uninstalled it, and then hand cranked the grinder with a screw driver and it's back in service now.

Costco has the best deal usually. American Standard 1.25 HP for $89.00. I purchased one as a spare several months ago for when my current one goes (not American Standard) and while Costco had an additional $10.00 instant rebate on them.

I just had a plumber over to unplug the kitchen sink, the snake I have was not long enough to unplug it. So as he was running hot water down the sink he turned on the disposal and mentioned it sounds like it is on it's last leg. I have a badger brand which I believe is made in Wisc., it's only been about 5 years with it. The American Standard at Costco is made in China and from the size of the box looked to be on the XL size, but that could be just the packing.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Any suggestions on what to buy, probably from Home Depot? Not something I use very much so don't need the high end 1 HP $300 model, but would avoid the made in China ones that will quit in 5 years. Are any still made in the USA?

It's not so much how often you use it, as it is cheap garbage disposals have a habit of developing leaks. The cheaper model disposals also tend to be loud because they have smaller, cheaper bearings and motors. Another thing is the cheaper, low H.P. units tend to do a lousy job of breaking down solids into small enough pieces. Consequently, larger bits of food can get hung up and rot in the disposal, creating a smelly situation.

The better units are not much more, and perform a lot better. Check the make and model of what you have. Sometimes you can buy an upgraded model of the same brand that will allow for a, "twist off / twist on" installation. Making it easy to change out. I know several Insinkerator Models have this. Waste King may have as well. The less work you have to do under a sink, the better.

I hardly ever use my garbage disposal. I compost nearly all kitchen waste. When I was in grade school, our house didn't have a garbage disposal. Just offering this as a choice.

I recommend an In Sink Erator Evolution 3/4 horsepower. Reasonably priced and a lot better product than the base Badger. Quiet and smooth and should give years of trouble free service.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Picked up this one at HD https://www.homedepot.com/p/InSinkE...rizontal3_rr-_-206758755-_-303543080-_-N Made in USA, 7 year in home service warranty. Definitely going to be the nicest thing in the house. Can't think of any fixture or appliance here that's newer than 10 years old.

I have the Lowe's version of that, you'll like it.

Last year I could say the same thing about the age of all my home appliances. As of next week, I won't have anything less than a year old. Only one upgrade was voluntary... the one next week.

Badger 5 at Home Depot for less than $100. If the previous one was a Badger you won't need to redo the sink attachment. My last Badger lasted 18 years but, I only use it a couple of times per week and I don't shove large steak bones into it. Ed

Wasteking L-8000 when I bought it was $100. Now slightly more.
Have Lifetime warranty.
Easy DIY install.

I had the smallest Wasteking but it only lasted 5 years but it was only $50.
That is why I opt for the biggest one with LT warranty.

I've got a basic Badger from Home Depot.

Garbage disposals are so ridiculously easy to change i don't see why it would matter pulling it after 5 years.

The wasteking l-8000 has lifetime warranty. you can get adapter flange for it to mount on the badger mount (if you dont want to replace the sink drain)

took me 30min total including shortening 1 pipe with hacksaw to install.... and 5min of watching youtube video.. not very hard first one I ever did.

costs
That costco model looks good too but no personal experience.

If you want to pay more(double) the 3/4 and up evolution models are decent too.

I put a 80 dollar badger in my last house. It was a good replacement for the last badger in there, lasted about 5 years before someone ran a spoon through it.

Every time I do it, I choose to replace the whole mount and the sink bowl. The old one looks crummy afterall, you are replacing it so why throw out new parts.

Seating the bowl is simple to do with plumbers putty. Just clean the sink up with SOS pads first and get the putty in properly it won't leak if you use common sense.

The .5hp ISE is fine.. Cheap and easy to replace. Stop worrying about it. Just make sure the take the plug out if you have a dishwasher drain and make sure the clamp is fully tightened. That is the most common problem when someone new to replacing one attempts it and causes a huge mess.

Originally Posted by walterjay
I recommend an In Sink Erator Evolution 3/4 horsepower. Reasonably priced and a lot better product than the base Badger. Quiet and smooth and should give years of trouble free service.

This ^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back