Help me grease my mower!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a new Scag Zero Turn (Turf Tiger II) Below is the info from the manual. If you notice under the chart where is states "Compatible Greases". I think it's telling me to use Mobilgrease XHP 222 for the PTO and deck spindles. Then "chassis grease" for everything else. I can't tell by looking at the chart if the chassis grease is the Ronex MP or Unirex EPS? Or, if Ronex MP and Unirex EPS are more Lithium White Grease options.

I know very little about grease... In order to avoid buying 2 grease guns can I just use the Mobilegrease XHP 222 for everything? I certainly don't want to do anything to harm my new $15k mower. I want it to last the rest of my life.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Mystik Hi Temp 2- Rated GC-LB - GC-LB designation means that the grease is suitable for use in wheel bearings or as a chassis lubricant

Easy to find, cheap and excellent water washout resistance.

All of those greases listed are lithium complex greases. None of them are actually white.

If it were my mower I would go to the auto parts store and buy myself a tube of lithium bearing grease from a known maker and use it in every fitting. The U joints and spindle bearings are the high wear points. You could probably use lard on some of the low wear points and they would last for years before lubrication failure damaged them.

The important thing is that you use a lithium based grease in the places where it is specified because a grease with an incompatible base might cause runout.

Thanks guys! Sounds like I can use the same lithium based grease high temp ep grease in all the fittings. That should make things easier.

The manufacturer recommended Mobilgrease XHP 222 also comes in a XHP 222 "special" version that contains Molybdenum Disulfide. Is the Molybdenum Disulfide a good or bad idea here. The specs look the same on the to greases with the exception of one containing Molybdenum Disulfide.

Originally Posted by stealle
Thanks guys! Sounds like I can use the same lithium based grease high temp ep grease in all the fittings. That should make things easier.

The manufacturer recommended Mobilgrease XHP 222 also comes in a XHP 222 "special" version that contains Molybdenum Disulfide. Is the Molybdenum Disulfide a good or bad idea here. The specs look the same on the to greases with the exception of one containing Molybdenum Disulfide.

The moly grease is great for sliding surfaces or linkages but i wouldn't use in the spindle bearings ep high temp is what you want for roller bearings.

Here's what Scag has to say about it: https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/24130-Grease-Job-Turf-Tiger

A google search of sites such as Lawnsite.com seems to indicate nobody uses 2125 grease and most use a good lithium complex grease for everything. The XHP 222 is just a run of the mill lithium complex grease. It seems that the Scag recommendation is a holdover from decades ago when "chassis grease" was very cheap product and the good stuff was only needed for the spindle and pto bearings.

I wouldn't use a moly grease in a place where it wasn't specified, nor would I not use it in a place where it is.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
Mystik Hi Temp 2- Rated GC-LB - GC-LB designation means that the grease is suitable for use in wheel bearings or as a chassis lubricant

Easy to find, cheap and excellent water washout resistance.

The specs look great for this grease. I guess I just figured I would need to pay 4 times as much for a quality grease. I think I was wrong. Thanks!

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Here's what Scag has to say about it: https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/24130-Grease-Job-Turf-Tiger

A google search of sites such as Lawnsite.com seems to indicate nobody uses 2125 grease and most use a good lithium complex grease for everything. The XHP 222 is just a run of the mill lithium complex grease. It seems that the Scag recommendation is a holdover from decades ago when "chassis grease" was very cheap product and the good stuff was only needed for the spindle and pto bearings.

Thanks to EVERYONE who responded! Wow! I never would have thought there could be so much difference between one tube of grease and the next.

After reading numerous threads and articles about grease and comparing specs. I think it would be hard to beat the Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp. The specs look better than the more expensive XHP 222. It also helps that I can get it at my local Farm & Fleet for $2.59 a tube. Please tell me if I'm missing something, but I think this at least meets or exceeds the suggestions here.

I also use Mystik JT6 hi-temp red grease on everything for my Mother-in-law's John Deere x475. Everything from the chassis points to the mower deck pulleys. One gun, one grease, it's all good to go.

L8R,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back