QANTAS to do Australia to NY non stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your input and expertise Astro. Aircraft utilization of 18 hours a day is amazing. Boggles my mind.

Sam

Originally Posted by PimTac
As always Astro14, your expertise is most welcome. Thanks again for a thorough explanation.

The above numbers do not count the cabin attendants, is that correct? I'm not sure if their rest period schedule but if figuring 12-16 attendants a flight, that would mean a fair sized contingent as well on top of the flight deck crew.

Exactly, I was speaking only of cockpit crew.

The flight attendants have rest and augmentation requirements, though I am not familiar with the details, and a crew rest area on the long haul airplanes. On the 747-400, it was a bunk room, with eight bunks, over the passenger compartment. It was accessed by a small spiral stair case in a closet by door 5R (the aft galley area).

The 787 has a flight Attendant rest area, also in the overhead, but I've never seen it.

Originally Posted by Astro14
As always Astro14, your expertise is most welcome. Thanks again for a thorough explanation.

The above numbers do not count the cabin attendants, is that correct? I'm not sure if their rest period schedule but if figuring 12-16 attendants a flight, that would mean a fair sized contingent as well on top of the flight deck crew.

Exactly, I was speaking only of cockpit crew.

The flight attendants have rest and augmentation requirements, though I am not familiar with the details, and a crew rest area on the long haul airplanes. On the 747-400, it was a bunk room, with eight bunks, over the passenger compartment. It was accessed by a small spiral stair case in a closet by door 5R (the aft galley area).

The 787 has a flight Attendant rest area, also in the overhead, but I've never seen it.

I was thinking in terms of the total crew support needed. After the flight each crew has a set number of hours (days) to rest before their next flight. So for the flight crew this would require multiple crews as it would also for the cabin crew though their schedule may differ depending on the regulations.

You mentioned 48 hours in your previous comment. So if you have 5 flight deck crew plus 12-15 cabin crew the number of total crew support could easily be several dozen just for this one route.

It's something we SLF don't see nor realize.

I wish I knew the exact ratio for staffing. It's high though, and it depends on how the fleet is used. Longer international requires more crew for the same hull as the utilization goes up.

We have, for example, 45 787 aircraft. Some (787-10) are being used just in domestic service, so it's not a pure international fleet, but it's close.

For those 45 airplanes, we have over 400 captains and over 800 FOs.

Thanks Astro
when I saw the article I immediately thought that there's an assymptote there somewhere.

In order to carry the fuel, provisions and crew, plus keep the passengers exercised and comfortable reduces the number of passengers, and exponentially hits the costs...

Airship cruises...can see them now...

Last edited:
Maybe that the Operation Sunrise that CEO Alan Joyce keeps pushing. Dirigibles.

I've read about a lot of head scratching on how Qantas is being run.

Shannow… You think on 21 hour flights the Aussies will get in/out of thier Roo branded PJ's twice ?
Can't hardly get a restroom now …

BTW: I took one of your Virgin flights … nice !

Dunno...my BIL stayed here last weekend, drove 7 hours, stayed 3 nights, then drove another 7 hours home, without showering or changing his jocks.

Originally Posted by Astro14

*Why Chengdu? Huge technology manufacturing hub. Intel, Apple, and others all have interests there. So, people from Silicon Valley visit Chengdu often...

On business class too. If SFO-HKG is $5k for business round trip, I don't know how much it would cost to Chengdu on business class....

I heard from my brother in law (flight attendant) that some airline have configuration that are MOSTLY first and business classes and little to no economy for these business routes, if I remember right it was Singapore.

Last edited:
CLP policy is
domestic - economy
international - premium economy (I did that to HK the other week...it was VERY good (Cathay).
international over 9-1/2 business class.

So I can see why they wouldn't have much economy of a really long haul...for the increase in price for a no stop flight, you could probably upgrade a regular stopover flight for similar coin.

Originally Posted by Shannow
CLP policy is
domestic - economy
international - premium economy (I did that to HK the other week...it was VERY good (Cathay).

So I can see why they wouldn't have much economy of a really long haul...for the increase in price for a no stop flight, you could probably upgrade a regular stopover flight for similar coin.

For business passengers this will be a boon as time is important. For the rest of us a stopover is not a bad thing. One of my favorite stopovers is at Narita and having a bowl of ramen. It helps to break up a long Transpacific flight and gets the legs moving.

DVT is something to watch for on these longer flights. The good airlines have exercise videos that you can follow in your seat.

I used to do the 18 hour LAX to SIN (SQ37?) … it only had 100 business class seats and maybe 3/4 full … no surge to board with bin space galore. A345 burned too much fuel and it was eventually pulled.

CLP policy is
domestic - economy

For business passengers this will be a boon as time is important. For the rest of us a stopover is not a bad thing. One of my favorite stopovers is at Narita and having a bowl of ramen. It helps to break up a long Transpacific flight and gets the legs moving.

DVT is something to watch for on these longer flights. The good airlines have exercise videos that you can follow in your seat.

When I was traveling (not much really), they ask us to be at the destination Monday morning or Sunday night, and leave the destination to come back Friday afternoon / night, so you are going to take away some family time instead of company time.

When you consider an extra hotel night of a 5 star hotel cost about $275-400, paying extra for a non-stop may not be a bad deal at all.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
CLP policy is
domestic - economy

When I was traveling (not much really), they ask us to be at the destination Monday morning or Sunday night, and leave the destination to come back Friday afternoon / night, so you are going to take away some family time instead of company time.

When you consider an extra hotel night of a 5 star hotel cost about $275-400, paying extra for a non-stop may not be a bad deal at all.

Good point. Add in food etc as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back