Why doesn't NAPA carry Motorcraft wheel cylinders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only one they carry is their house brand which I think is Raybestos.

I think the WC is frozen because I can't get the drum around the shoes. I tried loosening the parking brake all the way, and the drum still won't go over the shoes!

Nobody carries the Motorcraft WC locally, only the respective house brands (Napa, Autozone, and AAP). Chinese wheel cylinders probably suck, and I don't want to do this again

Last edited by a moderator:
Your adjusters are probably not set correctly. If it really is the wheel cylinder, there's no need to go OEM on this part. Any high quality brake manufacturer like Raybestos or Centric is perfectly capable of making a decent wheel cylinder. There's not much to this part...it's just a hydraulic piston.

Originally Posted by ted s
you do know motorcraft doesnt make parts

Yes I know that, but the Motorcraft WC is made in Italy and includes new bolts

all the others are Chinese of questionable quality
mad.gif

Originally Posted by AandPDan
Did you back off the self adjusters?

I'm not replacing the shoes. I am replacing only the drum because of a bad wheel bearing (the Mk1 Focus rear wheel bearing and hubs are built into the drums)

Now I have another problem. The bolts are all rusted! There is no way to get them off! One of them crumbled on me

Motorcraft includes new bolts with their WC, while the others don't

I went and bought a WC at AAP. It is Chinese and likely rebranded Raybestos, judging by the part number. It includes a new bleeder screw, but not the other bolts.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by ted s
you do know motorcraft doesnt make parts

Yes I know that, but the Motorcraft WC is made in Italy and includes new bolts

all the others are Chinese of questionable quality
mad.gif

Italian made vehicles have a pretty bad rap ...

My only option now is to sand down the shoes until I can fit the drum around them, or take the shoes off completely and have only three brakes until I can have it done somewhere

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
My only option now is to sand down the shoes until I can fit the drum around them, or take the shoes off completely and have only three brakes until I can have it done somewhere

Drill out the bolts? Try a 90-deg drill if possible?

Originally Posted by Miller88

Italian made vehicles have a pretty bad rap ...

Nothing wrong with Brembo hydraulics, and I think Continental(ATE) has a plant in Italy.

I realize this doesn't help about the bolts, but Rabestos may make a wheel cylinder repair kit. I used that on my '94 Grand Am. They were also USA made.

The only wheel cylinders I have ever stocked are for an Escape and Taurus. Other than that they are not worth giving shelf space, especially when I can get them same day or overnight. I have gone over a year without selling them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
The only wheel cylinders I have ever stocked are for an Escape and Taurus. Other than that they are not worth giving shelf space, especially when I can get them same day or overnight. I have gone over a year without selling them.

Yeah, you're in California. Rust doesn't happen over there

This is a Mk1 Focus

So now that this had gone around round, is the issue that your Ford dealer can't or won't order them, or that you just aren't willing to wait for them?

I got it towed to a shop

Originally Posted by MNgopher
So now that this had gone around round, is the issue that your Ford dealer can't or won't order them, or that you just aren't willing to wait for them?

The issue is that I couldn't wait for them.

If I could, I can get it anywhere online. eBay, Amazon, and Rock Auto all have it in stock, and I'd get it Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back