Replacement Struts: Struts or Quick-Struts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Dave9
The Monroe are tempting because right now Rock Auto has both the L&R on closeout for $40 each. I mean whatever you pick I would definitely replace both on the same *axle* at this point, but I too feel that Monroe have too little dampening, great for highway cruising but that's about it.

The quickstruts in this case are a significant extra cost I would not pay unless you are sagging and if you get those, definitely get both L&R as they will be stiffer and sit higher till they settle in, and continue to be stiffer than a worn spring on the other side so it's a balance/control issue. That is unless you are afraid of using a spring compressor, Some People Are but IMO it's not a big deal if you pay attention to what you're doing.

KYB are decent, cost less than SACHS and have a lifetime warranty but not against wear, just defects (though what the retailer honors may vary).

SACHS are a little better quality, probably the factory strut, cost $10 more each and have only 24 mos. warranty, and a ride stiffness somewhere between Monroe and KYB, KYB being the firmer of the 3, but even the SACHS should be firmer new than old.

$40 ($50 with shipping) is a great deal but I would hate to go through all the work to get a bad strut. I will be selling the van soon and just want to make sure the strut isn't shot like the one that is in there now.

Originally Posted by Leo99
I used Monroe and Gabriel quick struts. Took me 3 tries to get a non-defective Monroe strut and the Gabriel struts squeak whenever the temperature drops below 40°F. Therefore, I'd avoid both those brands.

What defects did you have with the Monroe's?

Originally Posted by Dave9
The Monroe are tempting because right now Rock Auto has both the L&R on closeout for $40 each. I mean whatever you pick I would definitely replace both on the same *axle* at this point, but I too feel that Monroe have too little dampening, great for highway cruising but that's about it.

The quickstruts in this case are a significant extra cost I would not pay unless you are sagging and if you get those, definitely get both L&R as they will be stiffer and sit higher till they settle in, and continue to be stiffer than a worn spring on the other side so it's a balance/control issue. That is unless you are afraid of using a spring compressor, Some People Are but IMO it's not a big deal if you pay attention to what you're doing.

KYB are decent, cost less than SACHS and have a lifetime warranty but not against wear, just defects (though what the retailer honors may vary).

SACHS are a little better quality, probably the factory strut, cost $10 more each and have only 24 mos. warranty, and a ride stiffness somewhere between Monroe and KYB, KYB being the firmer of the 3, but even the SACHS should be firmer new than old.

I do agree with this statement. Sachs has been great on my civic, I used the struts/shocks and honda oem mounting hardware, been very good. Next time I'll probably just get the Sachs quick strut. Sachs is a supplier to Honda in europe.. I can see why! good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back