Anybody dislike FedEx Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had UPS and Fed Ex as shipping providers on orders. Only to find they were shipped via. Sure Post or Smart Post without my knowledge after the fact. (I found out after they shipped the items, and provided a tracking number). Some gun supply places do this, Midway USA included. It could easily be cleared up by the shipper showing it was going Smart or Sure Post. Not standard Ground They will sometimes conveniently avoid mentioning that. Cost is the obvious reason.

Bottom line is when you place your order, you think you are getting your items shipped UPS or Fed Ex Ground, when in reality you are not. In that regard it is a type of fraud. If they, (UPS or Fed Ex), intend to ship anything via Sure or Smart Post, it should be mentioned clearly as such, BEFORE the purchaser checks that box. This doesn't always happen. And if you go by cost, you're guessing because shipping costs can vary greatly depending on bulk, weight, distance, and location.

Originally Posted by talest
I am presently having a FedEx SmartPost nightmare at this time. The expected delivery date has came and went - as you say, handed off to post office for final delivery, they say - and it never came. It is gumming up some plans.

If you have "plans" for something then SmartPost is not the proper shipping method. Absolutely nothing is guaranteed with that.

Originally Posted by billt460
Bottom line is when you place your order, you think you are getting your items shipped UPS or Fed Ex Ground, when in reality you are not. In that regard it is a type of fraud. If they, (UPS or Fed Ex), intend to ship anything via Sure or Smart Post, it should be mentioned clearly as such, BEFORE the purchaser checks that box. This doesn't always happen. And if you go by cost, you're guessing because shipping costs can vary greatly depending on bulk, weight, distance, and location.

But "they" are the vendor, not the carrier. If the vendor sends it via regular UPS or Fedex (whatever speed) it doesn't get changed to SmartPost via the shipping company.

I too do not like shady shippers that say "Fedex" when it is in reality SmartPost. Vendors like Rock Auto do it right by explicitly stating the carrier.

Originally Posted by kschachn
I too do not like shady shippers that say "Fedex" when it is in reality SmartPost. Vendors like Rock Auto do it right by explicitly stating the carrier.

I wish they all would. Clarity is not difficult to achieve.

kschan beat me to it - your issue is with the vendor you purchased the item from. They are not being open about the shipping option they will use. UPS or Fedex can't change the shipping service type or level.

I am presently having a FedEx SmartPost nightmare at this time. The expected delivery date has came and went - as you say, handed off to post office for final delivery, they say - and it never came. It is gumming up some plans.

If you have "plans" for something then SmartPost is not the proper shipping method. Absolutely nothing is guaranteed with that.

USPS just as bad. Tracking says package out for delivery at 8:24am. Mailman delivers after 7pm.

Originally Posted by atikovi
USPS just as bad. Tracking says package out for delivery at 8:24am. Mailman delivers after 7pm.

Okay, how is that bad? It's still delivered on the day it was put out for delivery, right?

Okay, how is that bad? It's still delivered on the day it was put out for delivery, right?

Used to be the mail got delivered at 10am or early afternoon the latest, so you could deposit a check you got or install the part you received the same day. Seems like USPS postage rates have gone up and the level of service has gone down the last 5-10 years.

So what, things change.... There are fewer mail carriers and while "letter" volume has no doubt increased, it's been offset by small packages. As petty as this sounds, and I'm not defending them, in many cases they no longer just drive mailbox to mailbox and insert people's mail. They now frequently have to stop and get out to bring larger pieces to people's doors. That will have a huge impact on their delivery times and/or schedule.

They all do that unless you pay for before 10:00 AM delivery. "Out for delivery" means just that. That day. When that day is anyone's guess.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by grampi
In this example I would choose the $7.99 option, and my package would arrive via USPS...fraud!

You're wrong. If you choose the $7.99 option, it will come by Fedex Ground. How do you get that it will come by USPS when it says Fedex Ground ?

You haven't comprehended what I've said. I'm saying I've had things shipped Fedex ground and they were final delivered by the USPS. Are you trying to tell me you were there each time and saw otherwise?

I've had their tracking status list my package as delivered when it hadn't been...more fraud...

You haven't comprehended what I've said. I'm saying I've had things shipped Fedex ground and they were final delivered by the USPS. Are you trying to tell me you were there each time and saw otherwise?

Try and stay focused. I can't evaluate all online shopping orders and shipment choices you've made in the past. I'm referring to the scenario at Rockauto that is being quoted. I comprehend this just fine.

Seems dependent on area. I actually have had good experience with FedEx ground. They have drivers with FedEx vans around here that deliver them even on Saturdays. It always seems to be a different guy but never a bad experience so far. We do have a large FedEx hub nearby so that might be part of it. UPS has been pretty good here as well. The post office is the only one I seem to have constant issues with.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

Try and stay focused. I can't evaluate all online shopping orders and shipment choices you've made in the past. I'm referring to the scenario at Rockauto that is being quoted. I comprehend this just fine.

I guarantee if I ordered from Rock Auto and used the $7.99 shipment method, it would be handed off to USPS...the ONLY time we ever see a Fedex guy at our building is for a pick up...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back