Universal Joints Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the u-joints that "fixed themselves" last winter. They're still not making noise but my truck is getting close to 150k and some posted I would have trouble with them again at some point. So, I'm going to replace the current u-joints with the Moog Super Strength greasable 270. I noticed that Spicer and some other brands that fit my truck had 4 identical snap rings. With the Moogs, one of the rings is c shaped with the ends of the c curved inward. What's the purpose for this?

Screenshot_20190502-181705_Samsung Internet.jpg

The odd shape clip goes on the u-joint cap with the grease fitting. If you used the other style, it would cross directly over the grease port. Some manufacturers put the grease fitting on the body of the joint, negating the need for a differently shaped clip.

Last edited:
Any reason you're going with Moog over Spicer? I know Moog had quite a reputation maybe 10 years ago but it seems their newer stuff isn't what it used to be.

Moog Ujoints haven't lasted for me. Maybe 20k miles at best. I called a local driveshaft shop looking for Spicers and he said he stopped using them, since they're off shoring them and they've had quality issues. He sold me some nice Neapco ones for $8 each. So far so good, knock on wood, about 40k later.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Any reason you're going with Moog over Spicer? I know Moog had quite a reputation maybe 10 years ago but it seems their newer stuff isn't what it used to be.

I've read good reviews on the Moogs. Part store websites contradict each other on which Spicer u joints fit my truck. The guys at the store are just as confused as I am. The Spicer website doesn't have a feature to look up parts for specific vehicles. The Moog site is easy to navigate and I found what I need very quickly. With that, good reviews, and a competitive price, I thought I would give them a shot. Maybe I should reconsider.

Spicer makes Big truck parts and has been a benchmark in the Big truck market for many decades. They have made consumer vehicle parts for many decades also. They specialize in drivetrain. Spicer is a top shelf name, unless they let it slide down hill with all of the other corp's moving to overseas. Spicer.

eta; Read post above yours, Spicer has moved to overseas sources and has resulted in an inferior product? Sad!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142
Check out the precision brand of u joints. I have them in both of my cars and am happy with them. Definitely better than the Moog junk.

I think Precision is a brand owned by Federal Mogul who also owns Moog. Same company..

Originally Posted by Chris142
Check out the precision brand of u joints. I have them in both of my cars and am happy with them. Definitely better than the Moog junk.

I think Precision is a brand owned by Federal Mogul who also owns Moog. Same company..

The precision ones are made in USA. At least my part numbers are. Have 60k on the ones in my truck and 90k on the ones in the Jeep. I break the rules and grease them with moly grease every 3-4k.

I had a rude price shock when looking at the u-joints for my Mercruiser Bravo 3 boat sterndrive. It turns out they had an early model, and a later model which is beefier. The later model was good for 525 hp and around 900 ft/lbs. Each is about $250 and you need 2. Fortunately when my mechanic was reviewing my drive, he said mine where fine.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger

I've read good reviews on the Moogs. Part store websites contradict each other on which Spicer u joints fit my truck. The guys at the store are just as confused as I am. The Spicer website doesn't have a feature to look up parts for specific vehicles. The Moog site is easy to navigate and I found what I need very quickly. With that, good reviews, and a competitive price, I thought I would give them a shot. Maybe I should reconsider.

On my Ford truck, there were so many different u joints for that truck, I just took the old ones to the "drive shaft shop" and matched them up. I would have rather bought from Rockauto but knew I would likely have to return them.
My brands are either Spicer or Neapco.

Last edited:
I would think so. Guessing my XJ has the OEM Spicer Ujoints, I can get them with a normal grease gun. Same with the Neapcos in the Liberty.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
Do Spicer u-joints have a regular zerk? You need a needle adapter to grease the Moog u-joints.

Yes. Been using the Spicer's with the zerk in one of the caps for a while now. Supposedly stronger and such but I like that they are really easy to get to. I think they are called the Life series or something similar. I think the part numbers end in 1UX (?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back