2015 Nissan Frontier V6 VVT question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2015 Nissan Frontier V6 with 88000 miles. I also have a 2013 Toyota Highlander with 90000 miles.
I think the VVT lock pin in the Toyota is getting defective. Noise on startup. ( I had a Honda do this too and was fixed under warranty.

My question is how is the Nissan VVT designed? Could it fail like the others? Anyone with experience with Nissan VVT failures?

thanks

From what I understand, the VQ C-VTC system itself is very reliable as long as oil is changed. The entire chain drive system is supposed to be quite robust on the VQ40, but occasionally you will hear of someone with a guide or tensioner problem.

Originally Posted by CBR.worm
From what I understand, the VQ C-VTC system itself is very reliable as long as oil is changed. The entire chain drive system is supposed to be quite robust on the VQ40, but occasionally you will hear of someone with a guide or tensioner problem.

The early (2005-2010ish) Frontiers and XTerras had secondary chain tensioner issues, but those were long fixed by 2015. I have read about these engines sometimes setting VVT codes simply because of old/dirty oil, but changing the oil resolves them.

My XTerra (same engine, 10 years older) had the secondary tensioner issue, I fixed it about a year ago and it's getting close to 175k now and hasn't missed a beat.

Last edited:
reliable + simple engines, no turbo or DI + good power with decent mpg's. i love my 2011 fronty SV, manual 6 spd of course!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back