Anybody dislike FedEx Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had some documents sent to me from a car dealership that had to be sent back via Fedex. I ended up taking the envelope to 3 different Fedex places before I found one that was actually able to take it. I don't know why, but some of the Fedex places can only handle certain types of packages...

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
I hate FedEx home delivery where they wont deliver on Monday... WHY MONDAY?!?

Because they are closed on Monday. They deliver Tuesday through Saturday.

Originally Posted by grampi
I don't get why both Fedex and UPS hand off packages to the USPS for final delivery. Why do they do that?

Only if it is shipped through the SmartPost or SurePost programs. Otherwise each carrier delivers their own packages.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by kstanf150
When you oder online you don't have a shipping choice

Sure you do

I've never had a choice before
Only choice I've ever noticed is how I want my purchase delivered (ground, 2 day, next day)
Not who delivers my package

I don't get why both Fedex and UPS hand off packages to the USPS for final delivery. Why do they do that?

Efficiency. The mailman comes to your house or a neighbours house pretty much every day anyway. If Fedex can drop off 100 packages at your local post office letting USPS deliver them with your regular mail instead of directly driving to 100 addresses, Fedex saves a ton of money.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I hate FedEx Grounds business model of not having company drivers. Their drivers get paid crap compared to UPS drivers with little to no benefits to boot.

And the quality, or lack thereof, shows it. I should say at least in my area. UPS guy is a jackpot. Fed Ex not so much.

Originally Posted by atikovi

Efficiency. The mailman comes to your house or a neighbours house pretty much every day anyway. If Fedex can drop off 100 packages at your local post office letting USPS deliver them with your regular mail instead of directly driving to 100 addresses, Fedex saves a ton of money.

It's as simple as that: Efficiency

Originally Posted by kstanf150
I've never had a choice before
Only choice I've ever noticed is how I want my purchase delivered (ground, 2 day, next day)
Not who delivers my package
Choose 1-day or 2-day service. Fedex Ground / SmartPost will not deliver your order in those cases.

Originally Posted by researcher
Originally Posted by 02SE
UPS and FedEx both seem to do well delivering to me. The USPS OTOH seems to have real issues. I often get other peoples mail, and I have no idea how much of my mail I never see.

Just had to tell you there is a feature USPS has called "informed delivery". It will email you when mail is coming and they give you a scan of the front of the mail. Not boxes, just envelopes that can be put in your mailbox. Thought that could help ya know that you're getting your mail..

to everyone else... I've seen Fedex Ground and Fedex Home delivery. The ground people I thought were employees of Fedex while the Home delivery people were the contractors. It sucks for those contractors, I feel sorry for 'em. I will say that the UPS driver is like clockwork around here. Within about 30-40min if there are packages to be delivered! The Fedex express is the only one you can set a clock to, around here at least.

Yes, and in my case it shows just how inept the USPS is. I've had letters (scanned image) show up as 'delivered' for two or three straight days - finally showing up in my mailbox. Recently my property tax bill was shown, but never made it to my box. Either a lot of mail is being mis-delivered or the USPS employees simply regatd delivery as optional.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

It's as simple as that: Efficiency

What did I say?
lol.gif

I can't say I've had problems with FedEx Ground but I have two warehouses within about 10 miles of my house so that may help with delivery times.

FedEx Smart Post has made some of my packages take very scenic trips though. I recently ordered some furnace filter media online and found out after the fact that the company actually has a store I could have driven to in the city next door. Instead of routing the package to the Carol Stream or Bedford Park or even Chicago, the package went all the way to Franklin, Wisconsin, to get handed off to the USPS which finally delivered the package.
21.gif

Another thing I like about USPS Priority Mail, is routine Saturday delivery. With UPS or Fed Ex ground, depending where you live, weekend delivery is much more expensive. And if it falls too late for Friday delivery, it means an extra 2 day wait.

I currently have a UPS Ground package coming from Sarco, (some 1911 Hi-Cap .45 ACP magazines). It's slated for delivery this coming Monday. If they had sent it out USPS Priority Mail, I would have it by today, or tomorrow at the latest. But I didn't have a choice on choosing the shipper. So now I ended up paying more for what amounts to a later delivery.

Originally Posted by billt460
Another thing I like about USPS Priority Mail, is routine Saturday delivery. With UPS or Fed Ex ground, depending where you live, weekend delivery is much more expensive. And if it falls too late for Friday delivery, it means an extra 2 day wait.

Fedex Ground to a residence (Fedex Home Delivery) is not extra for a Saturday delivery, but Fedex Express is.

I don't see much difference between FedX and UPS except for the drivers. They vary a little, but the same 2 guys have been a regular on this route for quite a few years now. I like the UPS guy. He gives the pups dog treats when we're outside. The FedX guy is a jerk. He'll wait 5 whole seconds and leave with a signature package. But that's just down to people - the root cause of most consumer angst I see - people just being jerks.

Originally Posted by Touring5
Yes, and in my case it shows just how inept the USPS is. I've had letters (scanned image) show up as 'delivered' for two or three straight days - finally showing up in my mailbox. Recently my property tax bill was shown, but never made it to my box. Either a lot of mail is being mis-delivered or the USPS employees simply regatd delivery as optional.

I've seen that happen as well but in their defense (rarely do I defend the USPS), it does indicate that the pieces are scanned in their system for upcoming delivery. It doesn't mean they should absolutely arrive that day.

You have mail and packages arriving soon

Mail may arrive several days after you receive this notification. Please allow up to a week for delivery before reporting missing mail.

It may be more efficient, as long as they don't care about the timeliness of the delivery, or even if it gets delivered at all. Once the package is left with USPS, the UPS/Fedex tracking number is longer valid and the recipient now has to rely on the antiquated USPS tracking system, which is horrible. I've had packages sent this method that have ended up being delivered to the wrong address, USPS claiming it has already been delivered when it hasn't, or they just plain lose the package. When I pay for something to be shipped UPS or FEDEX, I expect them to do the shipment all the way through, not hand it off for someone else to deliver...if I wanted USPS to handle the shipment, I would've chosen them in the first place...I also don't see how this is not a form of fraud...

Last edited:
When I pay for something to be shipped UPS or FEDEX, I expect them to do the shipment all the way through, not hand it off for someone else to deliver...if I wanted USPS to handle the shipment, I would've chosen them in the first place...I also don't see how this is not a form of fraud...

Then don't pick SmartPost or SurePost, nor those vendors or sellers who do. Go somewhere else that will ship by straight Fedex or UPS and states that they do so.

What an amazing mental contortion trying and make what is your choice in shipping as "fraud". Wow wee.

Originally Posted by kschachn
atikovi said:
grampi said:
When I pay for something to be shipped UPS or FEDEX, I expect them to do the shipment all the way through, not hand it off for someone else to deliver...if I wanted USPS to handle the shipment, I would've chosen them in the first place...I also don't see how this is not a form of fraud...

Then don't pick SmartPost or SurePost, nor those vendors or sellers who do. Go somewhere else that will ship by straight Fedex or UPS and states that they do so.

What an amazing mental contortion trying and make what is your choice in shipping as "fraud". Wow wee.

I don't even know what you're talking about. I've never seen those shipping options. The only options I've ever seen when choosing a shipment method is USPS, UPS, or Fedex. I always choose either UPS or Fedex, and my shipments still end up being delivered by USPS. I'm paying for UPS or Fedex, but they are only doing part of the shipment. In my book that's fraud...

Yep, not a fan of Fedex in the MPLS area. Every time I've tried to use them the package is always late, delayed, they put some BS excuse for not delivering etc. UPS is my go to, they never have let me down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back