GY WeatherReady - initial review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ponied up for a set in hopes of having one tire for all two seasons: road construction & winter. I'm liking the dry & wet traction - it's all good. However; I've lost 10% of my usual MPG: down to 27 from 30 as reported by the DIC. I'm not happy about that. These better do well next winter to make up for it...

10% MPG drop is not due to the tires. You might see something like 1-2%. Did you replace with the same size?

The only set of GY tires I`ve bought when we had the Trailblazer dropped the mileage down by 2.2 mpg and noticed when letting off the gas on familiar road the vehicle slowed more than before. Changed them out 10000 miles sooner.

Meh..new tires vs old, give it time. Friend of mine ran these here in Montreal over winter and thought they performed quite well on a FWD Buick Regal. He is used to running dedicated winters...

Originally Posted by NO2
10% MPG drop is not due to the tires. You might see something like 1-2%. Did you replace with the same size?
The tires were the only thing I changed, so what else caused the drop? Yes, the size was the same as the old set & factory spec - 205/55/R16.

Originally Posted by stevejones
Originally Posted by NO2
The tires were the only thing I changed, so what else caused the drop? Yes, the size was the same as the old set & factory spec - 205/55/R16.

Wind can reduce MPG a lot. Weather has the biggest influence. Then, driving style and tire pressure.
Some tires are "LRR", that is true. LRR means "Low Rolling Resistance", and a few stand out. Best I've seen is the Michelin Energy Saver A/S which is why they are on many hybrids and electrics.....

I reject the idea that the WeatherReady tires are causing any significant MPG drop. Based on this instrumented test on TireRack.com
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=237

weatherready.JPG

I may get WeatherReady tires this fall or next year. In my area, I just need a good all season tire, so thinking of spending the extra money for these when it's time.

Last edited:
If your old ones were worn out that could account for at least 3% of the difference

Maybe check your alignment?

By son runs them on his Escape, and he has not seen any noticeable change in MPG. But he said they were excellent during this last winter in Ellensburg WA.

TPMS shows slightly over-inflated ...

So you posted here about MPG and never even checked the tire pressure yourself? Do you even know what it was before?

Originally Posted by HangFire
TPMS shows slightly over-inflated ...

So you posted here about MPG and never even checked the tire pressure yourself? Do you even know what it was before?

I know the TPMS has been dead nuts accurate the many times I've compared the readings to a gauge for the 10 years I've owned this car.

ETA: I posted a review, not a question. I'm not looking for help understanding what isn't wrong with my car. The tires handle great, but the impact to fuel economy is there & it's real. Take it for what it's worth or isn't.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hemitruck
Steve thanks for the update. I am wondering if the tires are heavier than what you were previously running.
That wouldn't be much of a factor. Tires don't differ in weight that much anyway. You can look at tire weights on TireRack.com. Example: Ecopia is 20 lbs, WeatherReady is 21 lbs. This is about the typical difference. I've seen about a 5 lb difference in wheel weights, OEM vs. aftermarket, and have them on my C-Max with little difference in MPG.

There can be about a ~2% difference in MPG with a brand new tire vs. half worn though. Not much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back