New Motive Power Bleeder - awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cos

I bought a Motive Power Bleeder (for GM) and have to say it's great, worth every cent. Makes bleeding brakes a fast one man job. The 2 qts of DOT 3 I pushed through would have taken a l-o-n-g time with a helper pushing down the brake pedal. This was truly a timesaver. I used Prestone high temp DOT 3, 460°F (238°C) Dry Boiling Point, about $6.75/qt at Walmart.

Pic of the four yr old factory fluid:

Dot 3.jpg

Last edited:
I have one I bought back in 2010. Used it twice. They are handy but the Sienna I used it on needed the cowl removed to get it hooked up properly.

I need to sell it. I just use the two man method now.

I made one out of a garden sprayer, pressure gauge, a used reservoir cap, some hose and some fittings. Works wonderfully. I don't add any fluid to the tank though. I just keep the car's reservoir topped up.

Good job.

How old is that fluid ?
I can see why you used two quarts.
If you do the flush every two years, one quart of fluid would be plenty.

Suggestion if you haven't already done it.
Always pour 'old' fluids back into their original containers.
There is never a question of what's in it while sitting in your garage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by E365
I made one out of a garden sprayer, pressure gauge, a used reservoir cap, some hose and some fittings. Works wonderfully. I don't add any fluid to the tank though. I just keep the car's reservoir topped up.

I started to make one with an old sprayer, a bolt in schrader valve and took a step back and did some thinking....I already have 21gallons of compressed air so I didn't need the 2gallon sprayer too. I put a quick release air fitting on the old cap and just turn the regulator down on my compressor to 10psi. I just fill the master reservoir after every corner.

MasterSolenoid,

The old fluid in the pic is the original 2015 Cadillac factory fluid. I usually bleed brakes every three yrs (once/yr on motorcycles).

What almost amazes me is how many mechanics still don't understand that brakes need to be bled on a regular basis. Don't they read their own trade magazines?

Originally Posted by cos
MasterSolenoid,

The old fluid in the pic is the original 2015 Cadillac factory fluid. I usually bleed brakes every three yrs (once/yr on motorcycles).

What almost amazes me is how many mechanics still don't understand that brakes need to be bled on a regular basis. Don't they read their own trade magazines?

Most in the rust belt seem to go by flushing the brake fluid when a line breaks. Leaking brake systems used to be more commonplace, so topping off would get fresh fluid into the system. It is only in the last few years that awareness that brake fluid absorbs water and needs a flush has made its way to America.

25 years ago DOT 5 silicone brake fluid was supposed to be the new wonderful best thing around. That didn't happen.

Bought one a couple years ago. WELL worth the coin! Nice that you can get different MC adaptors, though they aren't cheap.

Originally Posted by cos
I used Prestone high temp DOT 3, 460°F (238°C) Dry Boiling Point, about $6.75/qt at Walmart.

Were they out of the Super Tech Dot 4 for $5.74?

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by cos
I used Prestone high temp DOT 3, 460°F (238°C) Dry Boiling Point, about $6.75/qt at Walmart.

Were they out of the Super Tech Dot 4 for $5.74?

Nope. I went with the Prestone DOT 3 because it's Dry Boiling Point is higher then minimum spec DOT 4 fluids and it's what GM specs for the vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back