Help with no-start Echo blower

Status
Not open for further replies.
My ES-2100 Echo blower will no longer start. I have spark, fuel and good compression (?) but can't get it to run even for a few seconds (doesn't make sense). I've done all that I can think of and would like to see if there are any more ideas before I give up on it. The new hand held blowers don't have the power of the old units so I'd like to keep this one around...

It was running last fall but now it just seems to sometimes sputter but only for a few combustion strokes. It NEVER starts or develops any power or running even for a few seconds.

I have visually checked the spark and it seems good, but I've changed the plug anyway. So I think the spark is ok.

Moving on to fuel, I originally thought it wasn't getting fuel so replaced ALL the lines. A new carb was put on late last year and probably doesn't have 3 hours of run time on it. I've taken the carb out of the equation by putting gas and / or sprayed starting fluid into the carb and even removed the plug to spray directly in the chamber and still can't get it to hit (fire). I've tried different gas even. This seems pretty strange.

I checked compression and I am getting up to 180 psi before it levels out. Doesn't that seems too high? Most small 2 cycles I think are around 100-120 psi. Even though I'm showing very good compression is it telling something that I don't understand?

Anything that I'm overlooking or should check would be welcome.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rand
clogged exhaust?
. This. There's a small screen in the muffler that could be carboned up. Clean by heating with a small torch. Also could need a new air filter.

When I am frustrated with a 2 cycle engine, I check the shaft nut, the nut on the impeller in your case, to make sure it's tight enough to do what I do next...

Hook up a beefy cordless drill or impact wrench or driver, make sure you're spinning it the right direction, and give it some revolutions while spraying carb cleaner in.

It's not runtime on the new carb so much as whether fuel gummed up after that point, but one thing is for sure, that if this is the first start of the season you don't want to frustrate yourself doing it all via a pull cord instead of getting power tools involved.
wink.gif

Check the carb and head bolts. Check the exhaust screen. Iwas taught this trick: drain the fuel tank, put 1/4cup of Seafoam in it and let it sit for 5 min or so. Pump the primer bulb till you see fuel in it. Finish filling the tank with fuel this time. Prime it a couple times and turn on the choke. Hold the throttle open all the way and pull the cord. It should start now if you have good spark. Always works on my stuff.

Check the in tank fuel filter. I had one of these that got really dirty along with a dirty air filter

Originally Posted by gman2304
Originally Posted by Rand
clogged exhaust?
. This. There's a small screen in the muffler that could be carboned up. Clean by heating with a small torch. Also could need a new air filter.

This was it.
thumbsup2.gif

That small screen was carboned up completely. I heated it with a torch and then wire brushed it clean and the engine is now starting and running with full power. I still haven't gotten the idle adjusted to where it will idle without stalling. I think I will replace that intake gasket b/t the carb and cylinder because maybe extra air is getting drawn in there and that might explain why I can't get my low speed adjustment screw to give enough fuel to maintain an idle.

I was pulling on that cord way too much (Dave9). My right shoulder is so sore I can hardly lift my arm above my head now.
crazy.gif

Last edited:
you can remove that screen its just a safety nanny so you don't start a forest fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back