Recent Topics
What sort of ATF and is Merc V synthetic?
by Stinky123 - 02/20/20 12:37 PM
Where do you buy super cheap reading glasses?
by MoneyJohn - 02/20/20 11:34 AM
Caliper Boot Was Loose When Changing Pads
by Fitz98 - 02/20/20 11:15 AM
Non-Detergent and Additized Mono-Grades
by MolaKule - 02/20/20 11:14 AM
$25 Pennzoil rebate on 1 case of 6 qts
by Ride_Red - 02/20/20 08:28 AM
Ratcheting Wrenches
by Redright9 - 02/20/20 07:27 AM
Buick Regal 2.0T Ecotec Engines
by ET16 - 02/20/20 06:34 AM
Fuchs Titan GT1 Evo 0w20 LL014FE
by kr_bitog - 02/20/20 05:46 AM
Tungsten Ravenol
by V10 - 02/20/20 01:37 AM
Can an SSD make this much difference?
by 14Accent - 02/20/20 01:14 AM
The Big Oil Change - Sinclair Oil 1960's
by StevieC - 02/19/20 10:47 PM
A new topper for my truck
by HM12460 - 02/19/20 10:12 PM
AAP/Carquest platinum pads/rotors
by parshisa - 02/19/20 10:03 PM
Apple watch - high data usage
by Quattro Pete - 02/19/20 09:46 PM
Gas in the 80's vs Today
by alcyon - 02/19/20 09:34 PM
1993 Hilux 3.0 diesel
by Mayberryminitruc - 02/19/20 08:58 PM
WrightGrip 2.0 wrench set
by spasm3 - 02/19/20 08:57 PM
Don't forget about your clutch fluid
by Number_35 - 02/19/20 08:40 PM
Newest Members
Jason454, Max331, 4fordsd, Mayberryminitruc, DaiwaGuy
70759 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
107 registered members (1978elcamino, 77GrandPrix, 928, 69GTX, 330indy, 12 invisible), 1,977 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics301,699
Posts5,200,905
Members70,759
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Shipping a car to another country to use #5093032 05/01/19 05:32 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,564
0
02SE Offline OP
OP Offline
0
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,564
Make sure you have all the proper documents. I've done this when we lived in some other countries for a little while.


Re: Shipping a car to another country to use [Re: 02SE] #5093043 05/01/19 05:41 PM
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 38,601
Quattro Pete Offline
Offline
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 38,601
Wasn't this video posted earlier today under a different thread title?


2002 530i   2015 Q5 3.0T   2018 Charger SRT
Re: Shipping a car to another country to use [Re: Quattro Pete] #5093052 05/01/19 05:48 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,564
0
02SE Offline OP
OP Offline
0
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,564
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Wasn't this video posted earlier today under a different thread title?


I posted it. It was removed. I assume because I had posted it with in retrospect, a possibly inflammatory title. It's still good advice for those like myself and the guy in the video who have shipped vehicles to use in other countries.

Last edited by 02SE; 05/01/19 05:49 PM.
Re: Shipping a car to another country to use [Re: Quattro Pete] #5093062 05/01/19 05:56 PM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,393
P
pbm Offline
Offline
P
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,393
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Wasn't this video posted earlier today under a different thread title?


I think the earlier version was deleted because an IDIOT brought race into the conversation…..


'Journalism is Dead'
Re: Shipping a car to another country to use [Re: pbm] #5093067 05/01/19 06:02 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,564
0
02SE Offline OP
OP Offline
0
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,564
That's too bad. I never saw any replies before it was removed, so I assumed it was my poorly chosen thread title.

Re: Shipping a car to another country to use [Re: 02SE] #5093114 05/01/19 06:42 PM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,266
C
Chris142 Online Content
Online Content
C
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,266
Originally Posted by 02SE
That's too bad. I never saw any replies before it was removed, so I assumed it was my poorly chosen thread title.

Usually a mod will just fix the title instead of deleting it. I posted about a murder near me in off topic and it disappeared before I got to read any responses.


02 Wrangler Napa high milage 10w40
87 F250 Valvoline 15w40
07 fjcruiser Car lube plus 10w30
Z400 castrol T 10w40
Can am Maveric edge 5w40
57 case tractor Chevron sae30
Re: Shipping a car to another country to use [Re: 02SE] #5093131 05/01/19 06:51 PM
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,788
M
madRiver Offline
Offline
M
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,788
I see Canadian plates constantly and how are they any different then a Dubai, Ireland or Guatemala plate?

Chatty Cathy driver who could have handed over documents and an embarrassment to law enforcement who could have simply asked for documents and called in for help or used that cruiser laptop to research the law.

Last edited by madRiver; 05/01/19 06:57 PM.
Re: Shipping a car to another country to use [Re: 02SE] #5093296 05/01/19 10:07 PM
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,322
B
BHopkins Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,322
What an arrogant, rich jerk. He may have tried to sound accommodating towards the officer, but he did a poor job of hiding his condescending tone. Who in their right mind would expect the average working class joe to relate to importing an exotic sports cars every two years and drive around the continent.

I don't get the suggestion that the driver "owned" the patrolman. It seems the only reason this went as well as it did for the Lambo driver is because of the professionalism of the officer. It never pays to be such a jerk when you tell an officer he is wrong. You may be right. But the way you say it makes all the difference.

"I know you're confused." Yea, that's a great opening line for the next edition of How to Win Friends and Influence People. Less than a minute and he's already insulted the officer.

The way the Lambo driver acted after the cop left says it all.

Last edited by BHopkins; 05/01/19 10:12 PM.

In God we trust. All others bring data.

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i - M1 HM 0W-20 & NAPA Gold filter
2014 Mercedes E350 M276 - M1 European 0W-40 & Purflux filter
Re: Shipping a car to another country to use [Re: BHopkins] #5093316 05/01/19 10:41 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,564
0
02SE Offline OP
OP Offline
0
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,564
It's interesting. My best friend was an Officer, and I know many more. I have nothing but respect for good Officers. My impression is that this Officer was ignorant, impatient, and arrogant.

The driver was respectful and tried to answer the officers questions and accusations. He produced all the necessary documents. Ultimately he was let go because the officer finally realized the driver knew what he was talking about, and most importantly he had the necessary documentation. And he probably called someone while back in the patrol car that knew the law...

As I said I've done the same thing by shipping a car overseas to use while living there for a little while. I had some conversations with Officers while there, but those Officers knew the law, weren't accusatory towards me, and they were generally pleasant experiences.

Last edited by 02SE; 05/01/19 10:52 PM.
Re: Shipping a car to another country to use [Re: BHopkins] #5093462 05/02/19 06:22 AM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,393
P
pbm Offline
Offline
P
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,393
Originally Posted by BHopkins
What an arrogant, rich jerk. He may have tried to sound accommodating towards the officer, but he did a poor job of hiding his condescending tone. Who in their right mind would expect the average working class joe to relate to importing an exotic sports cars every two years and drive around the continent.

I don't get the suggestion that the driver "owned" the patrolman. It seems the only reason this went as well as it did for the Lambo driver is because of the professionalism of the officer. It never pays to be such a jerk when you tell an officer he is wrong. You may be right. But the way you say it makes all the difference.

"I know you're confused." Yea, that's a great opening line for the next edition of How to Win Friends and Influence People. Less than a minute and he's already insulted the officer.

The way the Lambo driver acted after the cop left says it all.



I agree.
I would imagine that 'the law' that we are talking about would include some kind of temporary plate.....


'Journalism is Dead'
Re: Shipping a car to another country to use [Re: BHopkins] #5093522 05/02/19 07:44 AM
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 12,025
Nick1994 Offline
Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 12,025
Originally Posted by BHopkins
What an arrogant, rich jerk. He may have tried to sound accommodating towards the officer, but he did a poor job of hiding his condescending tone. Who in their right mind would expect the average working class joe to relate to importing an exotic sports cars every two years and drive around the continent.

I don't get the suggestion that the driver "owned" the patrolman. It seems the only reason this went as well as it did for the Lambo driver is because of the professionalism of the officer. It never pays to be such a jerk when you tell an officer he is wrong. You may be right. But the way you say it makes all the difference.

"I know you're confused." Yea, that's a great opening line for the next edition of How to Win Friends and Influence People. Less than a minute and he's already insulted the officer.

The way the Lambo driver acted after the cop left says it all.

You must be stuck in your little Utah bubble with your blinders on, and must have never seen another person’s culture.

It’s called a language barrier, he did well and tried his best to communicate with the officer as his English doesn’t come across as perfect.


2015 Hyundai Genesis 5.0L 57k Mobil 1 5w30 & Wix
2000 Toyota Camry 2.2L 236k Mobil Super HM 10w40 & Fram Ultra
1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L 149k Mobil 1 HM 10w40 & Fram Ultra
Re: Shipping a car to another country to use [Re: 02SE] #5093533 05/02/19 08:02 AM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 23,828
Mr Nice Offline
Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 23,828
Ultimately and driver has to have the proper tag, resignation and insurance no matter where the import car to.

Re: Shipping a car to another country to use [Re: 02SE] #5093577 05/02/19 08:36 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,296
K
KrisZ Online Content
Online Content
K
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,296
This is not as big of an issue as many seem to think. Perhaps if you drive an exotic car, but for regular cars, that don't stand out, I don't think it's a big deal.

When I imported my Mazda 3 from Canada to US, I drove on Canadian plates for several months while I was waiting for the DMV appointment and then their temp plates. Of course I had all the proper paperwork.

The only incident I had was about one week after I imported the car, an officer pulled up next to me at a red light, rolled down the window and asked how long have I been in the US. I replied one week, and he said to remove the plate covers, as they are illigal in CA. I thanked him and removed the covers that same day.

I never had an issue with my Canadian plates.

Last edited by KrisZ; 05/02/19 08:37 AM.

2015 Grand Caravan 3.6L - 35k miles.
2006 Mazda 3 2.0L - 186k miles
Re: Shipping a car to another country to use [Re: pbm] #5093589 05/02/19 08:45 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 20,993
A
aquariuscsm Offline
Offline
A
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 20,993
Originally Posted by pbm
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Wasn't this video posted earlier today under a different thread title?


I think the earlier version was deleted because an IDIOT brought race into the conversation…..


Afaik there was no racing involved. The gentleman from the UAE was totally and completely within the law (I just had a conversation with one of my girlfriend’s attorney friends) and the officer is uneducated and uninformed of the law. Sounds like from his attitude towards the gentleman in the car he pulled over,that he has a chip on his shoulder against foreigners. Once the gentleman in the Lamborghini proved him wrong,the officer pouted and sulked off like a small child and pretended to have a “call” I feel the gentleman in the Lamborghini is owed an apology.


1996 Nissan 300ZX 5-speed,Arctic Pearl(#175 of 300)
Quaker State Ultimate Durability 10W30
2012 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L 2.4,auto,San Marino Red
Quaker State Ultimate Durability 0W20

Re: Shipping a car to another country to use [Re: KrisZ] #5093672 05/02/19 09:57 AM
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,788
M
madRiver Offline
Offline
M
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,788
Originally Posted by KrisZ
This is not as big of an issue as many seem to think. Perhaps if you drive an exotic car, but for regular cars, that don't stand out, I don't think it's a big deal.

When I imported my Mazda 3 from Canada to US, I drove on Canadian plates for several months while I was waiting for the DMV appointment and then their temp plates. Of course I had all the proper paperwork.

The only incident I had was about one week after I imported the car, an officer pulled up next to me at a red light, rolled down the window and asked how long have I been in the US. I replied one week, and he said to remove the plate covers, as they are illigal in CA. I thanked him and removed the covers that same day.

I never had an issue with my Canadian plates.


I was curious and its dead easy to let Mexican and Canadian plated cars into our country as tourist as it happens daily without incident by CBP. However outside our North/South neighbors the complexity starts to happen and paper work needs to get produced. I would not expect any police officer to understand the laws specific to each country beyond more paperwork required.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™