Sump pumps.... Need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our house still has the original sump pump Zoeller M53 that's 12 years old. I think it's time to proactively replace it and install a battery backup as well.

I'm thinking about sticking with Zoeller M53 with a ProPak battery system.

Anyone has this or similar combo?

The one we had in our other house was almost 30 years old before it went and it ran regularly. (Lots of water around the foundation).

I'd just test it regularly and leave it alone if it's working. JMO

I don't know anything about them really, but my parents house needs one and they always have a spare new pump in the box by the pit. I had to change it once when they were away in the spring and it saved alot of running around and potentially damage.

I recently purchased a Barracuda branded system at Menards. Here is the link to the system I purchased:

https://www.menards.com/main/plumbi....htm?tid=6235564124959607770&ipos=10

If I am not mistaken, Barracuda is a Menards house brand, and from comparing it to the other pumps that were on display at the Menards I visited, it appears to be manufactured by Superior Pumps out of Minneapolis.

My current system is a Basement Watchdog 1/3 hp system I purchased about 15 years ago at Lowe's which I am going to pull out and make a spare system out of since the Barracuda system is a 1/2 hp system and will handle much more water. I have no complaints with the Basement Watchdog system.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
You should consider one of the sump pumps that uses your house's water pressure to run in backup mode, instead of a battery. Battery run time is too limited.

Great idea if you monitor your sump pump all the time. I've rear about absurd water bills with them. Many owners aren't aware the electric sump pump died until they get a huge water bill.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/help-with-a-huge-water-bill.41619/

I worked for many years at a major distributor of pumps - for those who get it done. anyway, I chose a Zoeller when I replaced mine 15 years ago.... solid durable pumps.

Alfred_B,

I've never had a Zoeller M53 last less than 12 years, but12 years is starting to push the envelope on failure risk, especially if it runs quite a bit. If you install a backup, then you have some redundancy if the main pump fails.

I upgraded our sump pump last year and spent LOTS of time evaluating systems. This following site is a good place to learn about what is available: https://www.sumppumpsdirect.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv7SljN774QIVS__jBx2WjQjrEAAYASAAEgJe__D_BwE You can find killer Zoeller deals on the internet if you are patient.

Water powered, battery powered, inverter systems - each has pros and cons and prices can escalate into the thousand$. Every installation is unique and depends on your risk level and budget. The most expensive systems have more fail safe redundancy, I.E., 2 main pumps and backup pump with a sophisticated control system. I have an unfinished utility basement and low risk, so I went with the lower end setup.

IMO the 2 most established mid-level brands are Zoeller and Liberty, both U.S. made. There are excellent China made brands too (Little Giant).

Water powered - my biggest con was that Michigan requires it to be installed with a RPZ valve (not just a check valve), which adds a good amount to the cost. They are not fool proof either.

I upgraded from the M53 (worked excellent for many years) to the premium M63 (on sale nearly same as M53). I plumbed in the Zoeller Aquanot 508 backup kit. This pump is extremely well made (U.S.) and robust. The charger is substantial also. Many of the other battery backup systems in this price range and lower have inferior pumps/chargers. The Basement Watchdog systems did not impress me. Better systems than Zoeller are available at much higher prices as shown in my link above.

Yea, I chose and endorse the Zoeller system after a LOT of OCD evaluation. Let me know if you want more detailed info and specifications.

My 2 cents:

Upright or Submersible ?
1/3 HP or 1/2 HP ? This should be calculated out (I went from 1/2 to 1/3 HP)

My Sump Pump was 15 years old and starting to sound 'louder' (bearings) than when new.
I replaced it was similar (Wayne Co / 1/3 HP Submersible).

Good idea to have an extra Pump all ready to go.
If 'new' have it all plumbed up / or save your 'old' one.

A Sump Pump should be on it's own Circuit Breaker / something to think about.
I also have a Night Light plugged in with the Pump so I know there's power to it with only looking.

Edit: Previous Post
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru.../re-homemade-sump-pump-alarm#Post5053313

Last edited:
If the only concern is pump failure, then adding a second pump (on a different breaker) is adequate. If you are concerned with power outages, it becomes significantly more complicated. A all in one battery backup system will be limited by pumping capacity and/or run time. I looked into using a charger/inverter and battery setup. As mentioned above, that can get very expensive if you want days of backup. Most of that expense will be for batteries which don't have an infinite life.

Ultimately the best solution is two pumps (with your main pump on a dedicated circuit) with some type of automatic power like a whole house backup generator.

Water powered is the most reliable way as far as backups go.

The risk of losing power or running a battery down is FAR greater than your water service stopping.

Never heard of a water powered backup, learn something new every day. Wouldn't work for me--if I have no electricity then I don't have water pressure either (private well).

I like the idea of having a backup pump. Backups are always good.

Just how fast does water come in? and how good is your electricity? I'm wondering if this isn't really an issue. My power goes out like once a year, and for minutes at that.

Another thing to think about is the Check Valve.
This is something you buy and install yourself.
It gets installed as close to bottom of the Pump as possible.

I have this one and it is SUPER QUIET
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back