18k miles on oil, twin turbo DI, under valve cover pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pulled the valve covers to change springs, stem seals, retainers & locks.

No sludge & zero timing chain wear/stretch, go figure.

And all that with approx 2% fuel dilution.

Pics are a couple years old, just thought I'd share.

IMG_7152.jpeg

IMG_7154.jpeg

IMG_7153.jpeg

Proper additive packages in oils can handle a good amount of fuel dilution I've found in my UOAs and applications.

Timing chain stretch IMO is from poorly designed chain systems or inferior quality components when excessive miles aren't present. Again first hand experiences.

Nice that your D.I. application is doing well and also shows that a properly designed system is nothing to fear.

What OCI are you using and what oil?

Last edited:
Pictures look like a 6BT, no surprise that it has no noticeable timing chain wear or stretch, since it doesn't have a timing chain. It's all gear to gear.

Title is click bait since it implies a modern DI twin turbo engine at 18k OCI pics, not a diesel with 3gal sump.

All that aside, it looks good. You must plan to rev it pretty hard to need titanium retainers on what left the factory as a 3,000 rpm engine.

P3 - yes, just a bit higher than 3k, got to teach these overweight Communist Fail trucks a lesson at times.

Dangit Chris, I'm mortified
grin2.gif

Stevie - I change about once a year, usually about 12-15k miles; that 18k OCI was the longest yet, came back fine.

ELF (DBL) 7349 on that 18k OCI, and usually the identical (slightly less media though) 15 micron P-series SynTeq up to 15k.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back