Engineering Explained - Automatic Transmissions like the ZF

Status
Not open for further replies.
As great as the ZF 8HP is on its own, the programming is left to each car manufacturer to develop, so you end up with different perceptions of this trans in different vehicles. In BMWs and Audis, it operates with speed and precision of a Swiss watch. In my SRT, it feels a bit sloppy, even in sport mode. Also, the change from forward to reverse and reverse to forward takes a really long time, which I find strange. Not sure if this is typical for FCA or something is wrong with my particular example.

In my neighbours Ram it's absolutely flawless. I have driven his RAM and they did a really great job with it.

There is nothing wrong with it, per se, and it's not horrible. If I had never driven a BMW with that trans, I wouldn't have known that there was room for improvement. There is just a more precise feeling to the whole shifting process. Hard to describe, but not hard to notice once you drive the two back-to-back.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
There is nothing wrong with it, per se, and it's not horrible. If I had never driven a BMW with that trans, I wouldn't have known that there was room for improvement. There is just a more precise feeling to the whole shifting process. Hard to describe, but not hard to notice once you drive the two back-to-back.

Understood.

Whats Crazy is that this ZF 8spd is in a crap ton of cars, its versatility is crazy

Alfa Romeo Giulia
Alfa Romeo Stelvio
Alpina D3 (F30)
Alpina D4
Alpina B3 (F30)
Alpina B4
Alpina XD3
Alpina D5 (G30/G31)
Alpina B5 (G30/G31)
Alpina B6
Alpina B7
Aston Martin Vanquish
Aston Martin Rapide
Aston Martin V8 Vantage (2019)
Aston Martin DB11[14]
Audi A4
Audi A5
Audi A6[19]
Audi A7[20]
Audi A8[21]
Audi Q5 8AT version[22]
Audi Q7
Bentley Mulsanne (2010)
Bentley Continental GT
Bentley Continental Flying Spur (2013)
BMW 1 Series
BMW 2 Series
BMW 3 Series
BMW 4 Series
BMW 5 Series
BMW 5 GT
BMW 6 Series
BMW 7 series
BMW 8 Series
BMW X1 (First Generation)
BMW X3
BMW X4
BMW X5
BMW X6
BMW Z4
Chrysler 300 V6 (2012+ MY),[23] V8 (2015+ MY)
3.6 (845RE)
5.7 (8HP70)
Dodge Challenger (2015+ MY)
3.6 (845RE)
5.7, 6.4 (8HP70)
6.2 (8HP90)
Dodge Charger
3.6, 2012+ MY,[24] 845RE
V8 (2015+ MY; 5.7, 6.4 8HP70; 6.2 8HP90)
Dodge Durango [25][26](2014 MY+)
3.6 (845RE 2014-2017, 850RE 201:cool:
5.7 (8HP70)
H8 (2017-)
H9 (2017-)
Iveco Daily 2014-on
F-Type
F-Pace
XE
XF (2012-)
XFR (2012-)
XJ
Jeep Grand Cherokee (WK2) (2014 MY+)
Jeep Wrangler/Wrangler Unlimited (JL) (8HP50 Second Generation)
Lamborghini Urus
Thema V6
Discovery 4/LR4
Range Rover
Range Rover Sport
Maserati Ghibli III
Maserati Quattroporte
Maserati Levante
Ram 1500 5.7L V8
Rolls-Royce Ghost
Rolls-Royce Phantom VII
Rolls-Royce Wraith (2013)
Rolls-Royce Dawn
Rolls-Royce Phantom VIII
Toyota Supra 5th generation
Volkswagen Amarok[32]
Volkswagen Crafter

And they do it far better than AISIN as I found out with my Highlander.
mad.gif

Originally Posted by StevieC
mad.gif

That's one example , you didn't like the feel of it , didn't mean tranny was bad .When VW had crapola transmissions the majority of them were ZF I believe.

Our 14 RAM 5.7/ZF 8speed combo is flawless, eager, responsive... everything an automatic could be.

My neighbor's 3.6 powered 300 with a ZF 8 speed is absolutely ridiculous, runs for top gear, refuses to downshift, jerky, etc.

Hard to believe they are so similar. Chrysler is building them now, they are no longer importing them as they did in the very early stages. As stated above, the programming is the reason many autoboxes are dissed so often here and elsewhere...

Other than being lazy when called to act in Drive, I love my 300's 8 speed. The laziness is easily fixed on mine, just throw it in sport mode. Goes from barely perceptible shifts to nice and firm.

Originally Posted by mbacfp
One of the reasons I got a Hellcat...not a Dodge made transmission.

These are actually made in Kokomo, IN by Chrysler under ZF patent rights they bought. Many of the components are sourced from Mexico. Still design is German ZF.

Originally Posted by spk2000
Originally Posted by mbacfp
One of the reasons I got a Hellcat...not a Dodge made transmission.

These are actually made in Kokomo, IN by Chrysler under ZF patent rights they bought. Many of the components are sourced from Mexico. Still design is German ZF.

Gotcha...did not know they were making them...good info.

Originally Posted by Kjmack
Originally Posted by StevieC
mad.gif

That's one example , you didn't like the feel of it , didn't mean tranny was bad .When VW had crapola transmissions the majority of them were ZF I believe.

My experiences matched others here and others on other forums both for Toyota/Lexus and Volvo. Not to mention they have failures when they first came out in 2017 so I stand by what I said.

Originally Posted by thescreensavers
Whats Crazy is that this ZF 8spd is in a crap ton of cars, its versatility is crazy

Mopar, Jaguar Land Rover, Rolls-Royce(BMW) and Bentley(VW) seem to like the 8HP90 for their more high-powered cars like the SRT series, the supercharged Range Rover and the newest Rolls or Bentleys that need to move 3 tons of luxobarge around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back