What was your first "smart phone"

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1st smartphone is an iphone 5s i got in 2014. I say "is" because I'm still using it. I had to get it because everyone I know started using imessage and group messaging instead of plain sms and my samsung rugby2 flipphone couldn't keep up.

16GB iPhone 4. I'm now using a 64GB iPhone 6 that is 4 years old. I did replace the battery myself on it recently. Still going strong.

Last edited:
Huawei ascend tapout. 2011ish.
[Linked Image]

Started with the iPhone 3G... Many phones between then and now but I switched to Android years ago and haven't looked back. I recently got my newest phone, Samsung Galaxy s10e, and it's fantastic!

I don't have mine, because it was a company phone, but I have my wife's first smart phone, a Treo 680.

I think I had a Treo 600 or 650 IIRC. She got a Treo 680 after we got married.

Don't know why I still have it, but I do.
[Linked Image]

I had every phone listed so far. Blackberry is still my favorite because it lasted for days and had a dedicated mute button. You could easily talk for 10 hours and still have half of the battery left.

I'm pretty happy with my iPhone Xr, which does everything and has a decent browser.

Nokia E71x.

Man things have come a long, long ways... (Replacements were Nokia Lumia phones - a Lumia 900, then a Lumia 925 - running windows. It was a great platform, but never got any traction... Oh Well). Moved on to my current Samsung Galaxy S6 Active... and now am an android user...

My first smartphone was an LG Vortex. It was small (3.2 inch screen) and slow (single core 700MHz CPU), but it did run Android.. 2.2. I hung on to it for a few years, and the day my contract ran out on it, I upgraded it to Cyanogen ROM, which helped breathe new life into it for about another 15 months. It worked, but the relatively low resolution and small screen size were definitely 'cons'.

I ended up replacing it with a Samsung Galaxy S3. Huge improvement.

Samsung Flight feature phone with some TouchWiz garbage. Same garbage is the reason I still won't buy newer Samsung phones.

First smartphone I bought used was a Iphone 3GS 32GB for $300. Stuck with the iOS ecosystem ever since.

Last edited:
An HTC Windows Mobile phone that was sold as the Verizon XV6700. I flashed a NZ Telecom ROM onto it to get rid of the Verizon BS(crippled Bluetooth and a lot of bloat).

I moved onto a BlackBerry Pearl before moving over to AT&T.

First was iPhone 3G in June 2008, then:

- iPhone 4, June 2010

- iPhone 5, June 2012

- iPhone 6S, Sept. 2015, which I still have. I did have to have the screen replaced under warranty after having the phone less than 1 year. Then, a little over a year later, I took advantage of the free battery replacement program they had (the battery would go from almost a full charge to near zero if exposed to cooler temps of below about 50 degrees for a short period of time).

The iPhones have been super durable and long-lasting for me. I tend to only upgrade when I feel that the technology has advanced to the point where I will be getting a significant technological upgrade over my current phone. In the early era of the iPhone, the rate of advancement was such that it was worth it to upgrade every 2 years. But the technology isn't really growing by leaps and bounds for the last few years. Additionally, I got my iPhone 3G (8GB) and iPhone 4 (8GB) for $199 subsidized by AT&T. I think my iPhone 5 (16GB) was only $250. My iPhone 6S (64GB) was $350 in 2015. But now I think a new one would be much more. I haven't kept up with the subsidized pricing, but I'm pretty sure it would cost me a lot more than $350 for a new iPhone now. Maybe someone who has kept up with the pricing structure can chime in here.

Another reason for my loyalty to Apple is that they replaced my iPhone 4 for free when I broke it. That's been the only phone I've ever broken - it fell out of my lap when I got out of my truck at a drugstore and I didn't realize it. It fell under the wheel of the car next to me, and, by the time I got back to the drugstore about 30 minutes to an hour later, it had been backed over by the car that was in that spot, and then run over by the next SUV that had pulled into that spot. Still, due to the very minimalistic case I had on it, it only sustained a few cracks around the home button. I took it to the Apple store and they just replaced it at no charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back