Toyota Venza 2013-2016 Experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope everyone is having a good day! Currently still driving my old 2007 Corolla (roll up windows,manual locks, no A/C- Don't ask..). I have about 168,000 miles on it, still runs great. The lack of space has me considering a new vehicle and I am decided that it will be a Toyota Venza. Had one as a rental and really thought it was great. My family is growing, expecting my second kid tomorrow... you would figure car seats would be more compact these days.. but it doesnt help that Im 6ft6... and the Corolla just isnt going to cut it.

I have it narrowed down to a 2013-2016 models and am just looking for opinions on how your experiences have been with them, main issues, things to look out for, recalls, pretty much any and all information and recommendations. I am only considering the V6 model. I have a hard time deciding on which trim level I want.. primary plan is to find the best maintained model (with lowest mileage/good price) and go with that regardless of trim.. models i have looked at have between 38-75k miles, priced between 17-25k.

Any issues with the panoramic sunroofs? Leather seats?

My brother in law has one and it's been great to them. No issues whatsoever just normal maintenance. He does have a XLE AWD i4. V6 would be my recommendation.

Toyota does use cheaper leather so the seats don't hold up the greatest but if it was well taken care of it should be ok.

I'd just make sure the tires are in decent shape when you buy it and with a good brand of tires. Since I'm sure they're not cheap to replace since most V6 models have 19 or 20 rims. They sure look nice but expensive to replace. I think the last year they were made was 2015. I'd even check out the 4cyl xle model with FWD since it may feel a bit lighter and handle better. Plus the rims are 18's I believe.

Slightly modified suggestion:
2012-2015 Toyota Prius V (The wagon).
It comes in 4 trims and with 16" wheels. Back seats adjust
And they are a bit less rarer than Venza.

Past VENZA threads:
thread1
thread2

Hope it helps.

My parents have the '13 model. The most reliable vehicle they have ever owned. They have owned many GM, Chrysler, and even a few Ford products in their 63 years together. It is their first Japanese vehicle and maybe their last vehicle.

My parents have the '13 model. The most reliable vehicle they have ever owned. They have owned many GM, Chrysler, and even a few Ford products in their 63 years together. It is their first Japanese vehicle and maybe their last vehicle.

Originally Posted by camryrolla
Get yourself a '13-'16 Camry V6 if you want more room.

Should be a bit cheaper since suv's command such a premium right now. Plus that gen Camry is quick with a V6 in it. Zero to 60 under 6 seconds I believe.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver

Should be a bit cheaper since suv's command such a premium right now. Plus that gen Camry is quick with a V6 in it. Zero to 60 under 6 seconds I believe.

Id definitely consider the Camry but the large cargo space is what I am looking for. Do alot of camping and I dont find the Camry's trunk to be all that spacious, and with 2 kids in the backseat...

I have a 2009 Venza V6 AWD, owned since new. Every option except nav. It has 96,000 kms on it.

Pros
Tons of space
The V6, wow great power
Never stranded us
Leather interior has held up fine, it is mostly my wife's daily driver

Negatives
Interior fit is wonky, well documented
Fuel economy is not great
It is a big vehicle, do an overnight test drive if you find one you like.
Had to replace a rear wheel hub, all four struts and 2 wheel speed sensors, all outside warranty. I blame our terrible roads
We like it in general.

What can you get a new Forester or Outback for in the Canada?
Either would suit you in space for a couple of car seats as well as plenty of hauling room and either would be a lot more capable and economical than this Toyota.

Originally Posted by Rolla07
Hope everyone is having a good day! Currently still driving my old 2007 Corolla (roll up windows,manual locks, no A/C- Don't ask..). I have about 168,000 miles on it, still runs great. The lack of space has me considering a new vehicle and I am decided that it will be a Toyota Venza. Had one as a rental and really thought it was great. My family is growing, expecting my second kid tomorrow... you would figure car seats would be more compact these days.. but it doesnt help that Im 6ft6... and the Corolla just isnt going to cut it.

I have it narrowed down to a 2013-2016 models and am just looking for opinions on how your experiences have been with them, main issues, things to look out for, recalls, pretty much any and all information and recommendations. I am only considering the V6 model. I have a hard time deciding on which trim level I want.. primary plan is to find the best maintained model (with lowest mileage/good price) and go with that regardless of trim.. models i have looked at have between 38-75k miles, priced between 17-25k.

Any issues with the panoramic sunroofs? Leather seats?

I have a friend with one. She likes it.

I have a 2014 Venza AWD V6, and it has been okay so far-knock on wood. The V6 is one the best for reliability. Wear metal is 1 ppm of iron per 1K miles. I have 86K mi and I been doing UOA since 10K and analysis every 5K.

I used two labs for my analysis: Blackstone and Fasco Fabick CAT to ensure unbiased results and data confidence. I switch labs almost every other oil change. Yes, it is definitely obsessive compulsive behavior.

2014 Venza V6 AWD

Last edited:
Yes I would look at the Highlander and the Sienna in the same years because they have the same drive-train basically, Toyota 3.5L and the 6 speed automatic transmission which, watch out for some years because I think there is a bearing in there that would wear and you get silverdust in the thing according to http://etereman.com/blog/toyota-tra...the-dust-problem-has-finally-been-solved
I was looking at a Toyota Highlander, a 2008 and ended up in a 2010 Sienna that was cheaper, less miles and has a little more cargo space.

Last edited:
The Venza continues Toyota's traditional reliability. The V6 is the same 2GR they put in everything. That said, I'm no fan of transverse V6's since they are so hard to work on (access to the rear bank is a problem, and Toyota's are among the worst!). Even though I love Toyota, I'd never buy a transverse V6 for daily driving.

They only came with giant wheels. The V6 models all had 20-inch wheels, while the I4 came with 19's. You can go down to 17 with no problem, and get a much better ride.

I'm not a fan of the Venza's sunroof setup because it's really two small sunroofs, with lots of space between the two. It's not my favorite.

The Prius V that someone else suggested is also a good car, but the sunroof doesn't open on the V
mad.gif

Since you're in Canada, you have access to a bunch of awesome vehicles that were never sold in the US. The second-gen Kia Rondo, Mercedes B-Class, and the Chevy Orlando come to mind.

For the price of a late-model Venza (in either country), you can come down to the US and get a Regal TourX brand new. It seems like something they'd sell in Canada but not the US, not the other way around
crazy2.gif

Venza uses same drivetrain as Highlander and Sienna.
Engine is really good. Bit lazy at low rpms (understandable considering bore x stroke) and transmission is programmed for comfort but sometimes is slow if you doing downshift to use engine to slow down (comes handy in mountains).
But, that V6+tranny is probably most reliable in this appliance class. Toyota had a lot of issues with 8 speed tranny after, and when I was going for minivan for growing family, went exclusively for older, up to 2017 Sienna models.
AWD is OK. It does its work, but far, far from being sophisticated and it matters a lot what kind of tires you have.
If Venza is built similar to Sienna, expect mediocre built quality and rattles everywhere, especially if you get JBL audio system and like to crank it up.
Brakes on larger Toyota's can be an issue. They usually have good first and second stopping attempt, but they heat up fast and tend to vibrate. I ditched OE rotors and pads for EBC (I had ridiculous brake issues with Toyota Land Cruiser, so I just dumped these two months after I got a car, and they started to vibrate too).
One thing about AWD. In 2015 Toyota upgraded AWD system. Until 2015 AWD system would send 100% of torque to front wheels until it slips. In 2015 they upgraded system, so during acceleration 10% of torque is sent to rear wheels as well during cornering. Not sure whether that found its way to Venza. Unless Venza has AWD system from Highlander II generation, which is much more capable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rolla07
Originally Posted by SatinSilver

Id definitely consider the Camry but the large cargo space is what I am looking for. Do alot of camping and I dont find the Camry's trunk to be all that spacious, and with 2 kids in the backseat...

Harbor Freight trailer? I put a trailer hitch onto the wife's Camry (haven't used it yet, but it's there). Weekend trips to the inlaws haven't been a problem in the car, but I could see how camping would be a bit of a pain, and more space would be needed. Small trailers are a pain but if really small you'll never have to back it up.

Venza comes up at 36 cubic feet cargo (70 with seats down) vs 14-15 for Camry. Not a small difference. I can see the attraction. But tire costs would sway me.

Originally Posted by supton
[ But tire costs would sway me.

You can get Altimax RT43 in size 245/50/20 for around $120/ea, possibly for less if you wait for a sale/promotion. Maybe not super cheap, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. I guess I am used to paying a lot more for tires.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by supton
[ But tire costs would sway me.

You can get Altimax RT43 in size 245/50/20 for around $120/ea, possibly for less if you wait for a sale/promotion. Maybe not super cheap, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. I guess I am used to paying a lot more for tires.
smile.gif

Yeah, Im not worried too much about tires..over the life of the car the cost diff of 20 inch tires to 17-18, wont make me lose much sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back