What features do you appreciate the most on your vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buttery smooth movement of the inline 6 and stability at high speed (80+).

Pure bliss I tell you ! It's @#$#! awesome!

Last edited:
Heated seats (North Country🥶) and those fantastic Toyota LED headlights. I haven't seen the road that well since Reagan was in office.

There are many features that I really appreciate. Understand that I have a 1932 car that has none of them, and I enjoy that car, too, so I don't need them, but I sure like them. So, in no particular order:

Sirius/XM radio - endless content.
Weather Map on the Nav display - I can see what I'm going to encounter.
Heated/cooled seats - the heat is obvious to anyone on a cold morning, but on a long drive, the cooling is nice, too.
Back-up camera and sensors - I really like that, particularly on the pick-up, where it's hard to see behind you.
Blind spot monitor - thought it superfluous, but they actually work.
Cross-traffic sensor - alerts you to crossing traffic within 75 feet when in reverse. Actually chirped once for a car I couldn't see and saved a potential conflict. Perfect for parking lots.
Full gauges - oil pressure, RPM, coolant temp, voltage (or amps, I'll take either)

What I have had before and wish I had now:
Oil temperature gauge
Transmission temperature gauge
Boost gauge (for the turbo cars)

The "miles to empty" display. Now my wife dosen't hound me to get gas when I'm below a 1/2 tank anymore!
thumbsup2.gif

Keyless access
Keyless start (although I wish there was a way to start without stepping on the brake pedal)
Engine shut off at stop lights
Navigation
Parking assist
Pano roof

• Pull-your-own parking brake
  • Aux / Bluetooth in for whatever I want to listen to
  • Steel wheels ... no more bead issues after 2 years!
  • Backup Camera (wish the pickup had one too)
  • Air Conditioning --- subaru only unfortunately
  • 2LO in the pickup , great for maneuvering trailers

Every so often I use the power seat in my car--blows my mind that I can move the seat while the car is in motion. Never had that before. Fancy!

My last car had auto up/down on windows and I liked it, VW did it well (unlike my wife's Camry but that's a different story). My two drivers only have auto down on the driver's windows and... it's ok. I wouldn't say I miss it. I do like having electric windows.

I probably miss outside temp the most on my DD. No idea why.

None of my vehicles have mpg readouts but I did put a SGII into my truck and I kinda like having the mpg readout along with actual engine temp (and trans temp too). Not that I'd pay for it but I wish all cars had a readout that not only did mpg but OBDII codes (and heck might as well toss in all trouble codes, why should I buy a scanner?).

I don't use cruise control that much but try not to buy cars without it. It can be nice for keeping me inline with the law.

Originally Posted by Miller88
Backup Camera (wish the pickup had one too)

Hit up Amazon, I picked up some cheapie to put onto the rear visor. Works ok, good enough for the cost.

Also picked up a wireless transmitter and a second camera, and put that into the back of my trailer. The LCD had two inputs, one is priority and I put the wireless receiver onto that. And wired the wireless transmitter to the parking lamps on the trailer. That way I can always see what is behind the trailer. Unfortunately the transmitter is on the weak side and will drop out, and something overheats and causes a dropout of several minutes--probably a bit too cheap I guess. But I do like the overall setup.

On the Avalon:

Blind spot
Back up camera
Rear crossing traffic

Wow. What an improvement! Hard to imagine buying a new car without them.

On the 240:
OAT gauge - I really like to know when the roads might be icy.

Sam

Auto headlights, backup camera, and right side camera.

My lease Jetta has more tech on it than I'm used to. I just "bought" it for the stick and the $139 a month.

Its the base model that they often sell as a price leader for about $16,900. out the door.

I like how i could program the key fob to unlock both driver side doors only (front and rear) with one click. This speeds up getting groceries in the back seat.

The radio also has a feature that shows all radio stations in a table you can scroll with their call letters and what song they are playing ( RDS?) It also has a knob with an old fashioned graphic so you can tune that way too.

Power up and down on ALL 4 windows.

What dont I like? I jumped on the clutch ONCE on a "spirited" downshift passing doddlers going 20 MPH on the back road to my house. and must have twisted the input shaft BC the clutch operation has been sticky and clunky ever since. Maybe I just broke a spring on the clutch disc.

The car has ABSOLUTELY terrible wheel hop in the snow or rain. It can start unexpectedly and sounds like the 1/2 shafts are about to launch.

The front windscreen has a high cowl and is small. The huge rear window has a very high cowl and you cant see anything out of it.

BUT
The car averages mid 40's MPG which is the best I've ever got save our old Dodge Colt with stratified charge.lean burn tech.

If I stayed out of the turbo, i'd be in the high 40's.. Instant MPG readout under boost is about 7 MPG. The engine is very noisy an agricultural. Handling more like a full size boat but it hangs in there at 8/10s. Just a lot of line correction due likely to the A/S tires and soft suspension bushings and not enough rear roll stiffness.

Would I buy one? NO. Would I want one with an Automatic ABSOLUTELY NOT. I'll be done with it in 2 year for sure

Air conditioning is a must
I love keyless entry; I wish my old Accord had it. Especially when the driver's side lock jams up and I have to walk around to the passenger side, use the key to unlock the passenger door, and hit the power door lock button to unlock the driver's side.

Power windows auto up/down can be hit or miss - my wife's Escalade is horrible at cracking the window a few inches. I have to hit the button at least 5 times and the window goes down, up, down, up, down, until I get it in just the right spot. I don't have that problem in my other cars with auto up/down- it's easy to modulate the button so it knows when you're adjusting the window manually or when you want it all the way down. Although the truck and Accord are auto down only - you have to hold the button to get them back up.

Good stereo is a must- Must have great speakers for sound quality, and a subwoofer is always welcome. Must have a USB input so I can plug in and control my iPod Classic from the stereo. I'm OK if a car doesn't come with these features as long as it's easy to install an aftermarket stereo and speakers. I actually prefer to install my own as I can pick out exactly what I want.

Bluetooth has recently become a must-have feature. I'm upgrading the stereo in the truck (again) and this time I'm getting Bluetooth and a backup camera. That makes the Accord the only vehicle in the fleet without Bluetooth. I might change that in the future.

On the M235i:
Adaptive Xenons
ZF 8HP45 that mirrors my shifting on the track 99% of the time
1/4 mile in under 13 seconds and 26 mpg
Launch control
Sport and Sport + driving mode
Heated sport seats/wheel
Voice activated navigation, ICE, BT, and text access
Comfort Access entry/start
H/K audio

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Would I buy one? NO. Would I want one with an Automatic ABSOLUTELY NOT. I'll be done with it in 2 year for sure

What was the reason for getting it in the first place? It seems like your Crosstrek could do everything this Jetta can and more. Or did you just need a second vehicle?

My windshield wipers are not automatic but they do default to the lowest speed when stopped then pick back up again to the selected speed once moving

quattropete: What was the reason for getting it in the first place? It seems like your Crosstrek could do everything this Jetta can and more. Or did you just need a second vehicle?

The crosstrek is the wifes - she still works and commutes 35 miles one way every day. -- -and too cramped and uncomfortable for me. I really wanted a 2019 Subaru Impreza MT - drove a few but they were ALL highly defective out of the box for various reasons. Bad enough to make me walk away.

I Had the 2014 Rogue and it was time for it to go. It eats brakes tires and it needed likely bucket tappet clearancing. I Tried to buy an ex. warranty for the CVT and couldnt find one .
Got up against the wall and drove the Jetta. It was very refined but a bit floppy. $139/month. I didnt think it would be overly fragile.

We'll see how she goes. They cave me ACV and put it to the Jetta lease and i walked away with no money spent and a "paid for" car for a few years.

Dont get me wrong, The Jetta is OK,, Fairly comfortable seats, solid unit body, smooth highway cruiser. I just wouldnt buy one due to very questionable reliability. I have 2 recalls already One is a MAJOR safety recall...
To buy: Subaru or Kia Forte. Limited choices if you want to row your own, Happy to be back in a stick car Ill tell you.

Oh I forgot. It has anti stall programming in the ECU. You can just let up the clutch and the car will drive away. So easy to crawl at 5mph in traffic N.P.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3
Air and heat. The rest i can do with out.

Yeah, for my commuter I'd add a FM radio as well, then I can play my phone through the speakers. I do 95% rural 2 lane driving so most of the electronic aids wouldn't be used anyways.
The Subaru was bought for its mileage, AWD, enough towing capacity, crash worthiness, family space in a wagon format, and its quiet hwy cruising manners. For maybe $2k less I would've ditched all the electronic stuff and not really missed any of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back