What is the most you have spent on a set of tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent just a couple dollars less than $1,000 on a set of Dunlop winter tires for my SL550. Fortunately, I got a bunch of Black Friday rebates. I suspect that I'll be spending more than that when the summer tires wear out.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by das_peikko
I never buy tires in sets; always in pairs. How do you people wear out four tires at the same time?

Permanent AWD.

Rotation.

Yup. Rotation. I can't afford to not rotate. I've got warranty on at least two sets of tires that I can think of, when they have worn out prematurely. If I hadn't rotated faithfully, I never would have got a dime from the manufacturers.

I never buy tires in sets; always in pairs. How do you people wear out four tires at the same time?

Rotate them every 5k and you will see how.

$1250. Including Road hazard- Toyo OpenCountry MT 285-75-16.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142
Rotating them

I never rotate them; that's why my back tires stay new practically forever. By rotating them, you're taking the life out of the back tires to prolong the life of the front tires. Now you have to buy four instead of two.

Rotating them

I never rotate them; that's why my back tires stay new practically forever. By rotating them, you're taking the life out of the back tires to prolong the life of the front tires. Now you have to buy four instead of two.

crackmeup2.gif

Rotating them

In the end, it'll all balance out. Buying 4 tires 1/2 as often or buying 2 tires twice as often.

Are you saying your tires (overall) last longer by not rotating?

There is something to be said about the extra work effort that goes into rotation. Some shops will do it for free if you bought your tires from them, but you still have to go there and waste time to get it done. But people still do it, maybe because they prefer to have four identical tires of the same age on the car. Also, often times tire mfgs have deals going on if you buy 4. No deal if you just get 2.

Some car manufacturers advise against rotating altogether (BMW), even if it's not a staggered setup.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Rotating them

In the end, it'll all balance out. Buying 4 tires 1/2 as often or buying 2 tires twice as often.

I think he's pulling our leg...

If not: on my FWD's I find the rears tend to feather and get loud. The brand new tires I just put on about 3k ago, and had an alignment also, have feathering already. Car has enough road noise already, not going to let it get louder with tire noise.

Originally Posted by Kibitoshin
2018 purchase was 4 LT265/70R17 Toyo Open Country HTs plus alignment $950. That's with the Toyo tire sales and pkg discounts.

$1200 for these in 285 AT but paid that for Goodyear 285 AT's too (Kevlar) …

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by Nick1994
Rotating them

I think he's pulling our leg...
Yup. You never know when Merk is serious or just trolling.

Originally Posted by Traction
Tires are going to be a big sticker shock for people buying some of the new cars out there. Last year I spent $1200 for Goodyear 265/60-17V cop tires for my Tahoe, that I installed myself. A week ago I spent over $1400 for 4 Coker/Firestone 7.00-20 bias ply tires for my 1950 Chevy 1.5 ton fire truck that still has original tires on the rear with only 2400 miles on it.

Great job on the restoration.

Rotating them

I take it that you've never owned a IFS pickup truck before. On my trucks the outer edge of the front tires take most of the wear since the front suspension imposes massive positive camber on the outer tire in turns. And on rears it's the center that wears the most since there isn't enough weight on the rear to "load" the tires. I follow a strict 5,000mi rotation schedule to combat the uneven front and rear wear patterns for uniform wear across all 4 tires.

I don't incorporate the spare into the rotation pattern but that's another topic. *nudge-nudge*

The result of strict 5,000mi rotation on P265/70R16 B/S Dueler Alenzas on my 02 Silverado inflated to 35PSI with 50/50 city/hiway driving patterns. Pic taken after 5 years and ~60,000mi on tires. Guess where is the outer edge:

IMG_0477.JPG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Are you saying your tires (overall) last longer by not rotating?

My back tires sure do. And besides that, why should my back tires have to be subjected to what the front tires go through? My back tires are in a league all their own. If my front tires ever get subjected to the front end alignment being slightly off, then all I have to do is replace those two front tires. Meanwhile, my back tires are protected by being in the back where the alignment is always straight and never changes.

When you run a fleet of trucks you will understand the importance of tire rotations. If we did what you do we would only see maybe 25-30k on a rear pair and maybe 40k on the front and thats with severe cupping and outside camber wear (loaded the IFS and TIB suspensions tend to give positive camber wearing out the outside edges.

When tires start to cup on the front and you rotate them to the rear usually the cupping goes away. And if the cupping is bad usually rotating them to the opposide will get rid of the more severe cupping cases. We usually get 50-60k on heavily loaded work trucks which consist of Fords, Chevys, Rams 3/4-1 ton's with solid axels, IFS, and TIB suspensions.

How? With great planning and rotation.
I watch my tires wear to keep ontop of rotation and inflation. Then run them untill they are about 3-2/32
My father in law says he has never met any one who gets longer tire life than me.
I suppose thats a good thing.

About $600 on the pontiac vibe.
205-55r16 Michelins
Since we purchased those tires some ten years ago the price for 205-55r16 tires has gone down quite a bit due to many more options.
On the latest car we just purchased
A brand new 2018 ford explorer xlt awd
I specifically looked for one with 18" wheels since typically 20" tires are more expensive and a rougher ride.

I don't remember the exact amount, but I know it was over $700 for a set of Michelin LTX MS/2s for my Ranger: 255-70R-16.

I spent about $950 for a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3s (265-70R-16) for my Bronco BUT that included all new aftermarket wheels, delivered already mounted and balanced from Discount Tire Direct.

We recently got a nail in a rear tire on the Escalade- I wasn't sure if it was fixable, and the front tires are starting to get really worn, so I started pricing tires - it's about $1,095 for a set of Michelin Defender LTXs, including installation at BJ's.
shocked2.gif
That's also including a rebate/promotion they have going on now. Stupid fancy 22" wheels... I ended up getting the tire patched and will delay that expense for as long as possible.

I've never paid more than $500-600 all in for a set of 4 and have never bought anything fancier than Cooper or Mastercraft. Usually less fancy.

All in, including taxes and install, about $650, which was for 17" x-ice2 for the Outback. That was with the tires "on sale" as well... I think the 15" BFG sport comp2's for the Focus were $550 after a rebate. Cheapest new tires were 13" snows for my old Neon, at $250 which half was for install and taxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back