Best Mercon LV replacement fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Just went by my local Advance Auto Parts store. They don't stock Castrol synthetic LV and couldn't even tell if they can order it. Very frustrating 🤨

The sale is at Autozone, not Advance
smile.gif

Gotcha
My Advance Auto stocks Castrol just not in Mercon LV
I'll swing by AZ tomorrow and check em out
Thanks

Oh yes yes yes
I know that
But what I'm saying is that Transmax for Mercon LV
is not on the shelf at Advance
I'm heading to AZ tomorrow

Just discovered Pennzoil LV in all places my local grocery store ...³...³...³
$5.67 a quart
In a grocery store instead of a parts store
Crazy 🙄

Haha awesome!!

I remember finding a huge shelf full of clearance Pennzoil Platinum at HEB for under a dollar a quart. Yep,I bought it all!
grin2.gif

No doubt ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘
I'm gona keep my eye wide open for sure !!!

Just purchased Pennzoil Platium LV multi vehicle fluid
Pennzoil also has a license number now from Ford looks like ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Just purchased Pennzoil Platium LV multi vehicle fluid
Pennzoil also has a license number now from Ford looks like ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Good you found a good fluid.

Originally Posted by Fifty150
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Castrol is licensed Mercon LV. Maxlife is not
smile.gif

[Linked Image]

Hot Tranny Fluid

31.gif

That is NOT the same thing as officially licensed!

While I agree it is more than ok to use where LV is required, it doesn't carry formal approval from Ford. Some people find this important when the car is still under warranty.

31.gif

On a model-specific forum I asked about using Castrol ATF since it's officially licensed, approved, etc by Ford. The Amsoil-fanboys had to chime in to plug Amsoil ATF. I reiterated that Castrol is approved by Ford and Amsoil isn't. They referred me to the "right" product, presuming I was looking at the wrong ATF and said it's "listed under the AMSOIL Signature Series". Another followed-up with a screenshot. They are both equating that "Amsoil says it's okay", i.e. "recommend for" with "Licensed and approved for use in: All Ford vehicles requiring MERCON LV"

Castrol is licensed Mercon LV. Maxlife is not
smile.gif

[Linked Image]

Hot Tranny Fluid

31.gif

While I agree it is more than ok to use where LV is required, it doesn't carry formal approval from Ford. Some people find this important when the car is still under warranty.

Amsoil, Lucas Oil, RedLine, Royal Purple.........none of those are licensed.

None of the multi-vehicle ATF used by nationwide lube shop chains are "officially licensed".

Some will point out the obvious. Officially licensed products meet OEM spec.

Others will point out that the licensing is just a scam to try to squeeze money out of other brands.

I see that Dexos spec oil is called for with certain cars......and none of those cars have blown up from an unlicensed product. I've used dozens of gallons of ATF in Ford transmissions, which did not have Mercon V license. Boutique brands which allegedly meet and/or exceed Mercon V spec. Since I'm not a "fan-boy" of any of those boutique brands, I'll let someone else vouch for them. But none of that ATF was off-brand product from a questionable discount retailer.

Everybody should do their own research, and decide what they want to do with their own car. My only conclusion, for my own circumstance, is that using those boutique brands of automotive fluid was jjust a waste of money. Sure, they worked just as well without being "officially licensed". But they did nothing special, offered no advantage, and my cars would have ran fine with OEM spec product at a much lower price point........Okay! I'll say it. I could have used SuperTech from Wally*World, and it would not have made a difference!

While you are correct the OP never asked for a "Licensed" fluid but options, so i chimed in. Approvals arent deciding factors for some people.

Originally Posted by Diesel12
While you are correct the OP never asked for a "Licensed" fluid but options, so i chimed in. Approvals arent deciding factors for some people.

Actually reading through the thread the OP did seem interested in actual licensed fluid. My point is that the way your post is worded:
Originally Posted by Diesel12
Another to add to the list 205A Dexron® VI/Mercon® Automatic Transmission Fluid
https://www.schaefferoil.com/205-atf-fluid.html

makes it seem as though it is. Although if you know better you can tell from the way it is written that it is not.

Ford MERCON® LV Approval (License Nos. MLV 140601, MLV 140602, MLV 140603)

Pennzoil license #

Originally Posted by pbm
....Valvoline Maxlife is much more reasonable and many have said it works well in their Ford.

As of today, Valvoline MaxLife is $17.97 per gallon @ Wal*Mart. Wal*Mart's own SuperTech LV was $6.97 per quart. I bought the Valvoline because it is cheaper. Works fine. Nothing special about it. More importantly, no problems with it.....yet.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by pbm
....Valvoline Maxlife is much more reasonable and many have said it works well in their Ford.

As of today, Valvoline MaxLife is $17.97 per gallon @ Wal*Mart. Wal*Mart's own SuperTech LV was $6.97 per quart. I bought the Valvoline because it is cheaper. Works fine. Nothing special about it. More importantly, no problems with it.....yet.
[Linked Image]

I have Maxlife in a Mercon LV application nothing bad to report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back