Four wheel drive diesel Econoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
My TV station had a live truck on a custom 4x4 Econoline chassis. Thing was top heavy and a beast to drive. The microwave stinger telescoped several stories higher (through the roof) and had an interlock so the goofballs couldn't drive the truck with it undocked. Had a beefy steering stabilizer trying to hold it all together.

A local library has a Econoline based bookmobile with a very interesting drive setup. It seems to be based on a E450 chassis but the 6.0L diesel/trans feeds a transfer case with no rear output and a front drive shaft turning a huge Dana 4wd front axle as the only drive axle. The rear axle is an idler on airbag suspension.
Its always in for repairs.

Originally Posted by Soggydog
A local library has a Econoline based bookmobile with a very interesting drive setup. It seems to be based on a E450 chassis but the 6.0L diesel/trans feeds a transfer case with no rear output and a front drive shaft turning a huge Dana 4wd front axle as the only drive axle. The rear axle is an idler on airbag suspension.
Its always in for repairs.

I find it entertaining how every vehicle with those features where the non car repairing public says "o gee that's neat" are usually completely unreliable and the bane of every mechanic's existence. Like how I at one point though Saleen and Roush Mustangs were really cool until I realized nothing is cataloged and at least Saleen has customer service that makes Comcast look competent.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Personally I would buy a 6.0 over a 7.3 anyday. But then again, I know all the issues and the fixes for them.

If I ever have to take the plunge on a used example, I'll have to pick your brain. Some people are practically giving away 6.0 examples here, but if you want a 7.3, you're spending brand new econobox prices, or worse!

Originally Posted by Garak
2003 was the last year just like the trucks. Although depending on the assembly date, a 2003 F-Series could have either a 7.3 or a 6.0L. Now which one is a better engine makes for an interesting argument.

That is what I must have been thinking about. Now, as to which is better, is there really an argument?
wink.gif

Personally I would buy a 6.0 over a 7.3 anyday. But then again, I know all the issues and the fixes for them.

I'd take a neon-pink Yugo over a 6.doh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back