Fram CH10955 Fail (Pentastar V6 filter)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Sunnyinhollister
I would contact Fram.

Yes, and keep all of the pictures, receipts and parts in case you need to make a claim.

It's possible the filter was damaged/crushed prior to install
and the missing/broken plastic core piece is not in your engine.
The 2nd pic shows an hourglass shape as the core succumbed to pressure.

Originally Posted by Ursatdx
It's possible the filter was damaged/crushed prior to install
and the missing/broken plastic core piece is not in your engine.
The 2nd pic shows an hourglass shape as the core succumbed to pressure.

Excellent point. I can't say I've been good about inspecting filters before using them, but you can bet I'll be giving my M1 filter stash a very close inspection!

Keep the filter, contact Fram, ask what they have to say.

If your engine is damaged or dies, you will want to have Fram pick up the bill, correct?

Definitely contact Fram and notify them, I had shavings in my Fleetguard and emailed them. They requested pics of metal shavings with rust inside of the new filter and serial number on the filter.

This will walk you through the PentaStar lubrication system: https://prezi.com/ijeeedzmeegi/pentastar-36l-v6-lubrication-schematic/

Contact Fram and take notes on names / dates and what was discussed so if something happens to the engine you can launch a claim, they have insurance for this kind of stuff.
Keep the filter in a Zip-Lock bag and take lots of pictures.

Hopefull this missing piece makes its way to the pan. Fingers crossed for you.

Last edited:
I have a 2017 cherokee with 3.2 v6 pentastar and it uses a Mopar 6819 1349 AB-001, or a
Fram CH11665. Looked on Fram site and it says your vehicle is the same filter.
Is there something about your model that would be different because the filters
are not th same looking........Gordon

Originally Posted by Sunnyinhollister
I would contact Fram.

Definitely, let Fram know.

Originally Posted by gner
Definitely, make sure you are using the correct filter.

That would be... significant if it was the wrong filter.

That's what was thinking. Mine uses a 11665. They come out in perfect shape.
Looking at Fram site, 10955 is for pre 2014 Pentastars.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
That sucks. I wonder if the filter possibly bound up during the install and the center twisted and broke, or was compromised and later broke. It looks like something like that could happen. I've seen pictures of the media twisting a bit in some of them and often wondered if they bound up during the install and twisted a bit.

That's why these canister filters suck oh and you pay more for less.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jkasch
That's what was thinking. Mine uses a 11665. They come out in perfect shape.
Looking at Fram site, 10955 is for pre 2014 Pentastars.

If it was the wrong filter and much too long, then I can see why the center cage stressed out and failed.

Hi all, let me answer some of the questions.

1) What vehicle is this? Is this a wrong filter for that vehicle?

This is a 2013 Jeep Wrangler with 3.6L Pentastar V6. Fram CH10955 is the correct oil filter for this vehicle/engine. The fact that Chrysler changed the design of the filter starting with 2014 or 2015 models tells me they may know of some problem.

2) Is it possible the filter was broken to begin with?

The filter was in a perfect shape before installation and slid on easily. Removing it at the end of OCI was a bit difficult because collapsed cage was grabbing a sprout (not sure if that's the right name for it) inside the housing which is a part of the housing itself. Therefore, filter collapsed sometime during use.

3) Was housing overtightened?

Housing cap has a lip around it that goes flush with the top of the housing itself. It is virtually impossible to go past that and any attempt to make it tighter would result in either housing cap socket edges (plastic) to be stripped, or housing to be cracked. That said, I am a torque wrench junkie and have always torqued the cap to 13 ft-lbs, including this time. The spec is 11 to 15 ft-lbs.

4) Could it had broken during install if filter bound up and center twisted?

No, that is impossible as the center cage is not attached to the end caps and can be spun inside on a fresh filter. When twisted, failure occurs at a connection between the media and the end caps while center plastic cage remains perfectly intact because it does not experience torsional force. Moreover, if that was the case the filter would have had twisted media. As evidenced by the pictures above the media remained virtually perfectly straight, except for hourglass shape due to compression force from the sides.

5) Can you use vacuum or fish out a piece with a thin wire?

I did examine the bottom of the housing and saw no plastic pieces. At that time I did not know I had a piece missing. Hence didn't attempt to use vacuum. A new filter was installed. I doubt that piece can be recovered without disassembling at least part of the engine.

6) Contact Fram and get them on the hook in case engine fails in the future.

I had decided against that before making the original post. They'll get an information to do their own damage control and will pin everything on the owner. They'll say their engineering department determined it was an owner mistake during an install. Companies do not admit any wrongdoing, you have to prove that beyond a reasonable doubt in the court of law. First an evidence of engine damage has to be presented. That doesn't exist as of now. Then a link between a missing plastic piece and engine damage has to be proven. When you add up time, money for certified experts etc that have to be involved, and even then there is no guarantee that anything can be prove, you would be able to buy at least 2 brand new engines.

Today I stopped at a local Walmart and picked up a new Fram CH10955 filter to conduct some experiments. Below are some of the results some of you may find interesting. I wonder how brittle plastic of some other oil filters for this or similar models. I would love to see material that yields but doesn't break suddenly in the end.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Not related but I bought a Fram filter for my GM LNF (cartridge, same style/design as the one above) and wasn't impressed with the overall quality. This was over 10 years ago, but it didn't fit the same as the OEM AC Delco (Hengst).

Davison thanks for the detailed pics and info. I'm curious now to look at my used filters for my caravan to see if they could crack if I squeeze them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back