Why isnt there more love for Quaker State?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by Env1ous

And it is SN Plus and dexos 1 Gen 2. Do you think it has a similar add pack like PP? I really like PP and PUP but it is on the thinner side where as QSUD is thicker for the 5w-30. The only thing that threw me off is people saying it had a low quality base on some past posts I read.

I wish Quaker State posted the HTHS numbers for their oils. I'd be curious if it was somewhere around 3.2 or 3.3 for their 5w30, since (as you mentioned) it's on the thicker side, at 11.6 cst at 100c.

It would also be nice to know if the 5w30 also had a volatility rating close to what their 5w20 does.

That would be really nice to know. I wish they would publish that!
I would bet, it is closer with the reformulation. But without proof, it is all just wishful thinking
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Patman
Quaker State definitely deserves more love! A lot of people on here run Supertech synthetic mainly because of it's low $16 price tag, but when you can get QSUD for just $4 more than seems like a no brainer to me, I'd rather run a known entity like that than wondering which supplier happened to be the one to supply Walmart in your area. We've all seen the recent PQIA test that showed QSUD 5w20 had a low 7.1% volatility rating, that's very impressive.

Well yes but is it really $4 more because the last QSUD I got came with a $7 rebate. They are all so close in my opinion price is King here.
But having said that I could like QSUD a whole lot more if it came with a $10 rebate.

Last edited:
If it is on clearance, I love it.

I have no issues whatsoever with QS.

I have some running in my Scion right now and in my sisters Hyundai as well.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Everyone here has brand preferences and brand avoidances.

Not everyone.
I will use whatever API certified oil out there, I don't care what brand it is.
I don't avoid brands, I avoid unknown/uncertified oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by vw7674
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by ad244
...my subjective butt test shows the engine runs smoother now than it ever has.

That's all that matters. Keep using it. Be happy.

Waiting for folks to come along with criticisms of it now.... Oooops, already happened !
grin.gif

&Again.
QS blows.
I wouldn't put 20oz in a lawn mower.

Ok, what if it only held 15 Oz like my new Craftsman ?

I have been using QSGB in my parents vehicles.
It Seems just fine for their basic needs
Around town and occasional trip.

I have used QSGB, defy, and ultimate durability
In the camry.
I like them all, however,
I have been getting
Mobil Products for less $ lately...

But I have no problem using any of them in a
Proper application.

My dad used to run QS in the 70's in his Pontiac V8s. Being from upstate NY, you can guess why - local oil....
Anyway, he developed a lifter tick in his 69 Catalina. His mechanic told him to switch to Kendall. He did, the tick went away. Dad was a Kendall fan. Until his 2002 8.1L Silverado started burning a qt every 1k miles[when practically new]. Then he switched to Amsoil. Engine burned 1/2 qt in 6k miles. Back then, it was available at the local GI Joe's store. GI Joe's went out of business, and he had to search high and lo for it. Now it is mail order only in our area.

So, now he is running QSUD in his Silverado and his 2012 Terrain 3.6. I run it in my 3.3L 17 SantaFe.

I am very happy with it.

Originally Posted by Treadstone
My dad used to run QS in the 70's in his Pontiac V8s. Being from upstate NY, you can guess why - local oil....
Anyway, he developed a lifter tick in his 69 Catalina. His mechanic told him to switch to Kendall. He did, the tick went away. Dad was a Kendall fan. Until his 2002 8.1L Silverado started burning a qt every 1k miles[when practically new]. Then he switched to Amsoil. Engine burned 1/2 qt in 6k miles. Back then, it was available at the local GI Joe's store. GI Joe's went out of business, and he had to search high and lo for it. Now it is mail order only in our area.

So, now he is running QSUD in his Silverado and his 2012 Terrain 3.6. I run it in my 3.3L 17 SantaFe.

How much oil does the Silverado burn now with QSUD in it?

Originally Posted by JLTD
I haven't used QS for years, after their oils causing (or reputed to cause) sludging back in the 70s and 80s. I know, I know, things have changed a WHOLE lot since then, but many may carry the same antiquated knowledge into an unconscious bias.

No doubt it is a good oil but after seeing it being scraped out of a oil pan way back in the 70's just turned me off from the brand.

Just to be fair, all oils did this back in the day. Penzoil yellow bottle was the worst for paraffin sludge buildup.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Originally Posted by Treadstone

How much oil does the Silverado burn now with QSUD in it?

I don't know. He doesn't drive it as much as he used to.

Here's my QS green bottle story. Dad bought a brand new 1968 Ford F100 with the 360 FE engine. He ran nothing but petroleum grade QS oil for over 30 years. His oil at changing time was crystal clear on the stick. You actually had to take the dip stick out in the sun to CHECK the oil level. Couldn't see the level in the garage at all. This lasted for 30 years. Around 2001, due to a small oil pan gasket leak, he had the motor rebuilt. It leaked the size of a quarter to a dime in a couple days time. Motor went to the machine shop. The guys thought it was a joke. The entire engine was still in factory specs on ALL tolerances. They washed and painted the block and put new gaskets in her. Yup dad was anal with that truck LOL. Oil was changed every April and October for the year. Good old 10w-40 ran like a champ. Motor had only 132,000 miles on her.

And don't forget the Turtle Wax Super Hard shell applied at oil changes. That factory 1968 paint still shines like new today. Zero fading or paint peeling like modern cars LOL.

Let's not forget the leaded fuel and NO cat converters. That truck will stink you out of the garage when he fires it up. Obviously not the cleanest burning engine out there LOL. Oil could be poured back into the block at changing times.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by slomo
Here's my QS green bottle story. Dad bought a brand new 1968 Ford F100 with the 360 FE engine. He ran nothing but petroleum grade QS oil for over 30 years. His oil at changing time was crystal clear on the stick. You actually had to take the dip stick out in the sun to CHECK the oil level. Couldn't see the level in the garage at all. This lasted for 30 years. Around 2001, due to a small oil pan gasket leak, he had the motor rebuilt. It leaked the size of a quarter to a dime in a couple days time. Motor went to the machine shop. The guys thought it was a joke. The entire engine was still in factory specs on ALL tolerances. They washed and painted the block and put new gaskets in her. Yup dad was anal with that truck LOL. Oil was changed every April and October for the year. Good old 10w-40 ran like a champ.

That is awesome. Dedication to proper maintenance is always KEY. That is a good story!

Auto tech teacher years ago (early 80's) said to avoid all motor oil from Pennsylvania sourced crude so no Pennzoil or Quaker State. Don't remember why but assume it only applies to conventional anyway.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Auto tech teacher years ago (early 80's) said to avoid all motor oil from Pennsylvania sourced crude so no Pennzoil or Quaker State. Don't remember why but assume it only applies to conventional anyway.

Couldn't disagree more.

Originally Posted by atikovi

I'm old enough to remember that old wive's tail. It was said that Pennsylvania crude had too much parafin in it, so it was bad.

I dislike the bottle color. It's also a SOPUS product - so hard pass.

If you happen to like it, great. Everyone has their preferences - and with today's modern synthetics - bottle color is about as good as the next criteria.

Do you all really think that QSUD or Mobil 1 or Amsoil is the reason your vehicles will or won't go 250k + miles? How many people even keep vehicles long enough to reap the supposed rewards of that?

Originally Posted by slomo
I haven't used QS for years, after their oils causing (or reputed to cause) sludging back in the 70s and 80s. I know, I know, things have changed a WHOLE lot since then, but many may carry the same antiquated knowledge into an unconscious bias.

No doubt it is a good oil but after seeing it being scraped out of a oil pan way back in the 70's just turned me off from the brand.

Just to be fair, all oils did this back in the day. Penzoil yellow bottle was the worst for paraffin sludge buildup.

Mobil 1 didn't
wink.gif

Reputed would be the word, but you'll find people saying the same thing about every oil out there back then. The taxis used QS in those decades with no sludge. Oils across the board weren't as good then, and, while we like to complain (me included) about GDI and so forth these days, engines back then weren't exactly forgiving when things went south. Between generally poorer oils, carbs, and even unleaded gas, followed by rudimentary emissions systems, things could get ugly in a hurry if you weren't on top of maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back