Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver

Status
Not open for further replies.
My neighbour's got a '99 BMW 540i, and has problems with his valve seals. It's a real pain to replace them on this engine, so we decided to go with Fuchs Titan SuperSyn SL 5W-50 and a 300 ml can of Liqui-Moly Motor Oil Saver (called Oil Leak Stop in some markets).

After adding it, oil consumption heavily increased. It used to lose about a litre every 3,000 kilometres and suddenly it was a litre every 1,000 kilometres. He's been using the same oil for the past year, so we figured its the additive. Roughly 6,000 kilometres later, it went back to a litre every 3,000-3,500 kilometres and the engine started running smoother.

Had a word with him today, as he took the car in for an oil change. The tech called him out, and asked how long the current fill was in service. It was only in for 10,000 kilometres, but the tech didn't beleive it, claiming it must have been in service for 'years'. Apparently, the oil filter was covered in sludge. He changed the oil and filter, added another bottle of Motor Oil Saver and drove out.

After the oil change, the engine started running much quieter and smoother and there's definitely been a reduction in the amount of exhaust smoke. Too early to comment on consumption though. Seems this is an excellent product, although it's a LOT thicker than anything like STP, etc. What I found interesting was the oil filter though. Seems it also works to clean the engine, whilst rejuvenating seals. Anybody here used this before?

We used it in a high-miles BMW 325i (1993 model year) that my buddy turned into a track car. After driving it around for about 10K miles and running the LiquiMoly 10w-40 high mileage oil and adding the Oil Saver, we changed the valve cover gasket to stop a slight weep and check how sludgy the motor was, as it was a $1000 car that had been beaten to death in its previous live. Motor was SPOTLESS inside. Now, he did see redline frequently with each twist of the key, leaving no question as to if the oil came up to temperature and flashed fuel/water/moisture off, so that probably helped. And it was frequently at the road racing tracks.

YMMV. Was it the product, the use by the driver, or was the engine already clean before he got it? The world may never know.

PS-- it now has over 200K miles on it and makes plenty of power with an M3 head and later M3 cams. It is a caged BMWCCA road racecar with the original (and clean) bottom end.

I heard the first 400 miles of adding Motor Oil Saver 2020 - the car should be run at low-to-mid rpm..... not WoT. The seals need to properly saturate and high crankcase vacuum creates pressures that would otherwise blow seals wide open.

I have this in the crankcase of my Toyota echo going on 4,000kms now.

I wanted to use it to stop the top of dipstick oil usage, but it hasn't made a difference.

I tried to keep the oil at the max level on the dipstick for a while but it appears it likes to sit just under, maybe 7/8 of the way up. It doesn't really use past that point so I guess I should just stop being OCD and leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back