Sodas not reducing sugar content?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Why not just reduce the sugar content by say 30% or more?

AFAIK, Coke Life was discontinued recently due to poor sales.

I just bought a 12 pack of life

As for just reducing sugar it would taste like seltzer
I might like that but most wouldn't

Living here in Mexico City, I really see the "power" that soft drinks have. Sodas are cheaper than milk, and in some cases water, thus poor people tend to consume a large amount of sodas. I regularly see people begging on the streets and their small children are drinking Coke. My wife and have fought an uphill battle to make sure our 8 year old doesn't drink sugary drinks (juice soda etc) but it is really hard especially since you cannot drink tap water (well you can but you'll be sitting on the toilet all night), but we still only buy water (I have to carry the 20L jugs up 4 flights of stairs). We occasionally do allow our kiddo to drink a soda at parties or special events, but we don't keep any at home. Mexico has surpassed the US in obesity rates and is a very high consumer of sugary drinks. Not only do sugary drinks give you diabetes and weight gain, but the acids in sodas really mess up your teeth. The phosphoric acid in sodas dissolves the enamel and causes cavities. Avoiding soda and sugary drinks is a great way to stay healthy and lose weight. I really don't miss them at all.

Originally Posted by expat
Fare enough.

But kids get hooked on this junk via branding and peer pressure. Sad to see so many obese kids around.

Back then kids were active, allowing to run around and cause havoc (and burn calories). Back then soda and sugary snacks were still around.

Now, kids are more sedentary as they are on their tablets or smartphones, while drinking sodas and eating sugary snacks.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Splenda is still somewhat sugar because it's a synthetic sugar but modified into an artificial sweetener. It is also a very unhealthy chemical like Aspartame just so you know. It has been linked to Cancer in high amounts in rats.

I've heard the Aspartame being linked to cancer, but not Splenda. I've had occasions in the past where Aspartame would give me bad headaches, so I stay away from that stuff.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
Originally Posted by StevieC
Splenda is still somewhat sugar because it's a synthetic sugar but modified into an artificial sweetener. It is also a very unhealthy chemical like Aspartame just so you know. It has been linked to Cancer in high amounts in rats.

I've heard the Aspartame being linked to cancer, but not Splenda. I've had occasions in the past where Aspartame would give me bad headaches, so I stay away from that stuff.

I know Apartame is bad for me and I've read all there is on it which is why I don't consume it like water any longer and limit myself to the occasional beverage even though the EU seems to think it's safe being one of the most studied artificial sweeteners on the planet.

Here is what they say about Splenda - https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/diet/artificial-sweeteners-fact-sheet

Sucralose, marketed under the trade name Splenda®, was approved by the FDA as a sweetening agent for specific food types in 1998, followed by approval as a general-purpose sweetener in 1999. Sucralose has been studied extensively, and the FDA reviewed more than 110 safety studies in support of its approval of the use of sucralose as a general-purpose sweetener for food.

In 2016, the same laboratory that conducted the aspartame studies discussed above reported an increased incidence of blood cell tumors in male mice fed high doses of sucralose.

Last edited:
Different countries prefer different tastes for their pop. We prefer ours very sweet and slightly flat. If Coca Cola or Pepsi try to sell something else, it will fail because it's not what we like.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Back then kids were active, allowing to run around and cause havoc (and burn calories). Back then soda and sugary snacks were still around.

Now, kids are more sedentary as they are on their tablets or smartphones, while drinking sodas and eating sugary snacks.

Yep. I remember the good old days of mothers mixing Hi-C in a pitcher and adding all that sugar after we played hard. Also, diets were high in fats. Stuff was cooked with collected bacon grease in a can sitting on the stove. None of us were fat.

These so called energy drinks that kids like these days are full of stuff you wouldn't want anyway to stay healthy.

Originally Posted by expat
Fare enough.

But kids get hooked on this junk via branding and peer pressure. Sad to see so many obese kids around.

That's the problem they seem to aim their advertising at a younger audience, I guess they need to cultivate the next generation of obese diabetics.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Too many 300 lb people getting long term health care in the millions of dollars.

Agreed.

....and they demand social Security disability payments,

reserved handicapped parking spaces

and electric mobility carts supplied by the big box store so they can putter around and buy more junk food

Sucralose, marketed under the trade name Splenda®, was approved by the FDA as a sweetening agent for specific food types in 1998, followed by approval as a general-purpose sweetener in 1999. Sucralose has been studied extensively, and the FDA reviewed more than 110 safety studies in support of its approval of the use of sucralose as a general-purpose sweetener for food.

In 2016, the same laboratory that conducted the aspartame studies discussed above reported an increased incidence of blood cell tumors in male mice fed high doses of sucralose.

I looked up sucralose on the internet, and that chemical scares me. You're better off drinking sugared drinks. I drank some beverages with sucralose a while ago and I detected a "pool water" taste to it. Sucralose has a chlorine atom in it.

I prefer more natural beverages like in the link below.
Something with natural sugars, like we used to consume decades ago.

Drink this and you'll be fit as a fiddle!
http://www.pepsicobeveragefacts.com/Home/Product?formula=44316*01*01-09&form=RTD&size=20

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Different countries prefer different tastes for their pop. We prefer ours very sweet and slightly flat. If Coca Cola or Pepsi try to sell something else, it will fail because it's not what we like.

I agree.
As a child, I had a Coke in South Africa and was amazed at how fizzy it was.

Originally Posted by Reggaemon
I like the taste of Coke but it does have way too much sugar. I add water so I'm drinking 60% Coke and the rest water, still tastes ok to me.
I should try that. Smart way to cut the sugar in coke. Maybe even do it with seltzer water.... Good idea.

1) Swap out a few words in this thread and turn it into a "healthy cigarette" thread.

2) The "Drink whatever YOU like and keep opinions to yourself" angle is weak as (mentioned above) people demand health care paid for by others.
Doing drugs and making stupid consumer choices IS NOT "Doing your own thing".

3) There's this stuff called......water.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Too many 300 lb people getting long term health care in the millions of dollars.

Agreed.

....and they demand social Security disability payments,

reserved handicapped parking spaces

and electric mobility carts supplied by the big box store so they can putter around and buy more junk food

Part of the problem is traditional medicine pushing low fat (which is usually high sugar in exchange) diets with moderate carbohydrates with the lie of "Complex Carbs aren't the same and are good for you" B.S. along with "Plenty of fruits and veggies" Yes most have high sugar content. All that sugar in moderation just counting calories? Um, no.

Let alone that Sugar/Carbs works like crack in the brain making you hungry and want more so it's a viscous cycle making people heavier and heavier in those where the mechanism is easily broken. Like me...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kira
3) There's this stuff called......water.

pfft, ain't nobody got time for that!

Instead of synthetic sweeteners like sucralose or aspartame, look into the natural sweetener coming from the Stevia leaf and its extract. This South American plant has less risk of cancer and has many health benefits.

Originally Posted by Reggaemon
I like the taste of Coke but it does have way too much sugar. I add water so I'm drinking 60% Coke and the rest water, still tastes ok to me.

I go 60% Coke and 40% Jack Daniels

Originally Posted by dbias
I go 60% Coke and 40% Jack Daniels

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back