Why isnt there more love for Quaker State?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently have QSUD in the wifes Mazda3 and it will be going into the daughters new Kia when its due. Have used it in my 240sx and Sequoia in the past although its not in either right now. I was a M1 fanboy for too long and after trying the various other Walmart run of the mill synthetics QSUD is probably my favorite, if not just for the price but for the way it makes the Mazda3 sound. Its definitely quieter compared to M1. No real difference in the other cars though that I can tell.

QuakerState is a fine oil and has been since I've used it in the 1990's forward when I started changing oil. Looking at the Specs of QSUD I would have 0 issues running it.
It's D1G2 SN+ with a pour point of -50 which has to be an indication of quality basestocks being used, along with the UOA's I've read here that shows it has a decent add-package.

https://www.quakerstate.com/en_us/p...etic_Motor_Oil_SN-GF-5_2016_001G1652.pdf

Last edited:
Hard to beat five quarts of qsad and a framcore $21.05 out the door, and done for you, at Walmart. I've worked on cars so long I no longer have interest in even doing an oil change on my own.

qsud 5w20 voa pqia

It is one of the more impressive oils on the market today. After they reformulated for sn+ the noack dropped and moly is very high. TBN is up as well, the latest version of qsud stands out, but if you look at old versions it wasn't quite as good. It is great to see oil formulations going in the right direction imo, if we still look at stat sheets here.

QSUD is a great oil for the price; no doubt that SOPUS is likely steering excess GTL into QSUD. Even if they aren't, QSUD usually has a little more moly and boron than most, and is a little thicker in each grade. About the only downside is there are rarely rebates on this brand, but occasionally places like Menards will throw it on sale.

At an easy $20 any time at WM, along with a $6-9 FTG or FU, it's a no-brainer for 10k OCIs. Don't be a lemming and just follow the fickle masses on here with unfounded brand prejudices, QSUD is more than enough oil to get your vehicle (even from brand new) all the way to 300k and beyond.

Originally Posted by Red91
Hard to beat five quarts of qsad and a framcore $21.05 out the door, and done for you, at Walmart. I've worked on cars so long I no longer have interest in even doing an oil change on my own.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by PimTac
No. It's a personal decision for me. If I buy a car and the engine blows up should I just go out and buy the same brand again? This goes for pretty much everything.

Yes, if you truly believe that an engine blew up due to a fully formulated, name-brand motor oil then I agree you should avoid it.

Last edited:
I put QS UD in my Traverse last time instead of Pennzoil Platinum (store was out of stock in 5W-30). Can't really say I noticed much difference. My engine runs just as good. Since it was a few dollars cheaper than Pennzoil anyhow win, win.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Yes I hear a lot of hate for the reasonably priced oils on BITOG but the fact is that everyone I've used have given me great UOA and the Corolla has ran very well and used very little oil. A lot of the haters on here can't say the same thing. I'll stick with what works and is the cheapest on sale because the difference is so little realistically they can't support their BS.

This is a decent summary.

QS is the best bang for the buck in Synthetic oils.
I've used QS products for over 35 years and logged hundreds of thousands of miles without one related oil issue.
OP run it with confidence, you love it !!!

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by PimTac
No. It's a personal decision for me. If I buy a car and the engine blows up should I just go out and buy the same brand again? This goes for pretty much everything.

Yes, if you truly believe that an engine blew up due to a fully formulated, name-brand motor oil then I agree you should avoid it.

That is not exactly what I said nor meant.

Everyone here has brand preferences and brand avoidances.

I'm not saying QS is a bad oil. It meets the latest specs and such. Go ahead and run it with no worries. I'll use something else.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by ad244
...my subjective butt test shows the engine runs smoother now than it ever has.

That's all that matters. Keep using it. Be happy.

Waiting for folks to come along with criticisms of it now.... Oooops, already happened !
grin.gif

&Again.
QS blows.
I wouldn't put 20oz in a lawn mower.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 69GTX
I've been using QS since 1977. Never blew an engine. Never had a problem. PP/QSUD/QSHM are nearly all of my stash oils. 5w-30. 10w-30, and 0w-40. Sorry, no 20w.

I agree. Started using it in the 60's. Nary a a problem Although I use Mobil 1 now, I certainly would not have any problem using QS.

Quaker State definitely deserves more love! A lot of people on here run Supertech synthetic mainly because of it's low $16 price tag, but when you can get QSUD for just $4 more than seems like a no brainer to me, I'd rather run a known entity like that than wondering which supplier happened to be the one to supply Walmart in your area. We've all seen the recent PQIA test that showed QSUD 5w20 had a low 7.1% volatility rating, that's very impressive.

Originally Posted by Patman
Quaker State definitely deserves more love! A lot of people on here run Supertech synthetic mainly because of it's low $16 price tag, but when you can get QSUD for just $4 more than seems like a no brainer to me, I'd rather run a known entity like that than wondering which supplier happened to be the one to supply Walmart in your area. We've all seen the recent PQIA test that showed QSUD 5w20 had a low 7.1% volatility rating, that's very impressive.

And it is SN Plus and dexos 1 Gen 2. Do you think it has a similar add pack like PP? I really like PP and PUP but it is on the thinner side where as QSUD is thicker for the 5w-30. The only thing that threw me off is people saying it had a low quality base on some past posts I read.

Originally Posted by 69GTX
I use QS in my lawn mowers as well. Works great.

My Kubota been running QS for 25 years
Engines still runs like the day I bought it

Originally Posted by Env1ous

And it is SN Plus and dexos 1 Gen 2. Do you think it has a similar add pack like PP? I really like PP and PUP but it is on the thinner side where as QSUD is thicker for the 5w-30. The only thing that threw me off is people saying it had a low quality base on some past posts I read.

I wish Quaker State posted the HTHS numbers for their oils. I'd be curious if it was somewhere around 3.2 or 3.3 for their 5w30, since (as you mentioned) it's on the thicker side, at 11.6 cst at 100c.

It would also be nice to know if the 5w30 also had a volatility rating close to what their 5w20 does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back