UBER first time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be using UBER for the first time next week. I'm going from home to airport and the trip time is ~ 35 minutes. My pick up time should be 3:45 to 4 AM. Should I contact a driver a day before with the information or what is the best/ correct way to assure I make my flight? Ed

Originally Posted by Eddie
Should I contact a driver a day before with the information or what is the best/ correct way to assure I make my flight? Ed

There is no way to contact a driver beforehand. As a matter of fact, you will not know your driver until he accepts your request a few minutes before he picks you up.

Depending on where you live and how many Uber drivers are working at that time of the day, you may or may not be able to find one right away. That is one of the drawbacks of Uber. If you want 100% certainty that a driver will be available at the exact time you need it, use a traditional taxi service and call them in advance.

Totally agree with all the responses above. In S Florida there is a good chance that some drivers will be out at that hour....if not, be ready to call a cab.

Lyft/Uber combo works well, increases your chances of success, and many drivers use both at the same time.

I could be wrong, but if you schedule your Uber ahead of time, doesn't Uber guarantee that they'll have a driver for you within a 15 minute window?

Other alternative if Uber drivers not available are UberX (medium to full-size cars with drivers with 5* ratings) and UberBlack (limos).
A bit more expensive, but they will come for sure.

It is ok, there will be driver 24 hours a day.
Some like early morning before they go to work which happen to be at the airport.
You can turn on the UBER apps and see all the cars available in the area at that time.

Originally Posted by RamFan
I could be wrong, but if you schedule your Uber ahead of time, doesn't Uber guarantee that they'll have a driver for you within a 15 minute window?

Not sure if something has changed recently, but in the past, you couldn't truly schedule Uber in advance. I mean yeah, there is a Schedule feature in your Uber app, but that is no guarantee of anything. All it would do would be to hold onto your request (on your phone), and then automatically push it out into the cloud 15 minutes before your requested pickup time, at which point there would still not be any guarantee that someone would actually accept that request right away.

I just tried scheduling a ride in my Uber app, and upon scheduling, it gave me this text:
Your trip is only confirmed once you receive your ride details. If no car is available, we'll let you know at the end of your pickup window.

To me, that is no guarantee of anything.

You might want to set an alarm for tonight, tomorrow, and a few more times and check Uber and Lyft to see how many drivers are available at that time of night. You might find that the morning of your flight, there are none working or none interested in taking your request.

If you were in New York city or Chicago, Im pretty sure there would be guaranteed cars available. But Cape Coral? Not exactly a metropolis. Try it and see what happens, have a taxi on standby.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by RamFan

Not sure if something has changed recently, but in the past, you couldn't truly schedule Uber in advance. I mean yeah, there is a Schedule feature in your Uber app, but that is no guarantee of anything. All it would do would be to hold onto your request (on your phone), and then automatically push it out into the cloud 15 minutes before your requested pickup time, at which point there would still not be any guarantee that someone would actually accept that request right away.

I just tried scheduling a ride in my Uber app, and upon scheduling, it gave me this text:
Your trip is only confirmed once you receive your ride details. If no car is available, we'll let you know at the end of your pickup window.

To me, that is no guarantee of anything.

Good to know, thanks!

Try this: Get up at 3:50 am and check how many drivers (estimated pickup time) there are. That way you can get a sample of the Uber or Lyft action in Cape Coral.

I drive for Lyft once in a while. Seldom any more actually, yet I did it quite a bit for a year. They have a schedule option, and Lyft will try to get a driver to sign up for a future pickup. Problem is, the driver might not show. Some are pretty lazy, even after signing up for a pickup. So its kinda the luck of the draw at 4 AM still. You should be OK. Do download the Lyft app if Uber estimated pickup times are awful though. Doubles your chances of getting a ride, basically, to be more sure.

As others have said, you may want to check and see for some days ahead of time how many cars are usually availible at the times you need. Cape Coral at that time may not be so great... Big cities, nearer to the core, usually not an issue. And the suggestion to also be ready to use lyft is a good one - just adds to the odds you can make something work.

Also be prepared for the wait time to be longer than usual - they may have to come from further away than usual to pick you up. Done a few rides at 3 in the morning here - and the wait was more like 15 minutes for a pickup...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by Eddie
Should I contact a driver a day before with the information or what is the best/ correct way to assure I make my flight? Ed

There is no way to contact a driver beforehand. As a matter of fact, you will not know your driver until he accepts your request a few minutes before he picks you up.

Depending on where you live and how many Uber drivers are working at that time of the day, you may or may not be able to find one right away. That is one of the drawbacks of Uber. If you want 100% certainty that a driver will be available at the exact time you need it, use a traditional taxi service and call them in advance.

THIS!

I've used Uber a few times. Don't be afraid and good idea on opening the app early a few times before hand. It'll show how many minutes away a driver is from you.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
How about TURO? My cousin has used them several times to and from New Orleans airport.
https://turo.com/

That's more of a rental car company. Although some owners may offer pick up and drop off service from the airport.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back