Why isnt there more love for Quaker State?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently changed the oil on a 2010 Civic and due to a time constraint I didn't have access to my usual stash and Wallyworld is clear across town. So after a trip to auto zone, I grabbed a 5qt of Ultimate Durability & an STP extended filter for $26 which I didn't think was too horrible of a deal. Amazingly, my subjective butt test shows the engine runs smoother now than it ever has. Time will tell how the oil holds up but I was impressed with how smooth it ran using this oil.

Especially from the price point, is there any reasons why its not more widely used on BITOG?

Think lots of Pennzoil users see it as thier JV oil …
… but engines are likely to run just as long on QSUD as PP … Great products …

BITOG goes through it's spurts of favorites, and for some reason QS just doesn't seem to make the cut. Yet, if you look at signatures, you'll see a lot of people on here use it. Back when Defy was their new oil, it definitely got some mentions due to the increased ZDDP content, once it was reformulated the mentions dried up.

I love and have used QS for quite a while now, I remember using them when they still had the clear bottles. All oils sound the same to me, except for QSUD, for some reason every time I used QSUD I noticed a decrease in engine noise. Once this Citgo stash is used up I'll be running through my QSUD stash in the Mazda once again.

I love QSGB & QSUD both especially in 5W30. I like other oils as well but, I have to agree that QS keeps my engines quiet(er).

I haven't used QS for years, after their oils causing (or reputed to cause) sludging back in the 70s and 80s. I know, I know, things have changed a WHOLE lot since then, but many may carry the same antiquated knowledge into an unconscious bias.

Originally Posted by JLTD
I haven't used QS for years, after their oils causing (or reputed to cause) sludging back in the 70s and 80s. I know, I know, things have changed a WHOLE lot since then, but many may carry the same antiquated knowledge into an unconscious bias.

No doubt it is a good oil but after seeing it being scraped out of a oil pan way back in the 70's just turned me off from the brand.

I have been using Quaker State Syn for about 15 years now. Excellent results. Good additive pack and slightly thicker than some. I personally can't see paying more for every day driving.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
I love QSGB & QSUD both especially in 5W30. I like other oils as well but, I have to agree that QS keeps my engines quiet(er).

I've had the direct opposite experience with QSUD. I'll never run that oil ever again.

Funny you mention this, just last week I stopped into Advance to pick up PP Euro LX. Old guy at the counter starts this rant that Pennzoil is bad and causes sludge, etc. etc. Little does he know that PP Euro LX is the ONLY domestic oil that you can purchase which meets Fiat's 9.55535-GS1 spec. Some old wive's tales will never die.

Originally Posted by kschachn
In other words you all choose to stay ignorant and misinformed?

No. It's a personal decision for me. If I buy a car and the engine blows up should I just go out and buy the same brand again? This goes for pretty much everything.

I'm a fan of QSUD 5W-30, especially this new formulation which has a roughly 7% Noack, if I'm remembering correctly. I have it in my Elantra currently.

Originally Posted by JustN89
I'm a fan of QSUD 5W-30, especially this new formulation which has a roughly 7% Noack, if I'm remembering correctly. I have it in my Elantra currently.

Doesn't it have a group II base?

I run the QSUD more now than before for the price/quality. Ran a lot of PP in the last vehicle due to sales and rebates allowing $2.99 a quart.

The 0W20 QSUD seems to be a pretty good value, only one cheaper of similar quality is the 0W20 supertech synthetic or the Havoline synthetic 0W20 six quart box from Walmart.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Think lots of Pennzoil users see it as thier JV oil …
… but engines are likely to run just as long on QSUD as PP … Great products …

This....

Originally Posted by ad244
...my subjective butt test shows the engine runs smoother now than it ever has.

That's all that matters. Keep using it. Be happy.

Waiting for folks to come along with criticisms of it now.... Oooops, already happened !
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac

No doubt it is a good oil but after seeing it being scraped out of a oil pan way back in the 70's just turned me off from the brand.

If it helps, that is how I felt about Fram filters. Now both Jeeps and the F150 are running TGs. No issues yet!

In 0w20 form it has a significantly higher flash point (239 vs 204) and lower pour point than Pennzoil Platinum, so it seems to do better at the extremes. I'm no chemist, so I don't think those numbers are the end-all, but it could indicate higher performance base stocks.

Right now, I like the looks of QSUD in that weight.

Last edited:
I've been using QS since 1977. Never blew an engine. Never had a problem. PP/QSUD/QSHM are nearly all of my stash oils. 5w-30. 10w-30, and 0w-40. Sorry, no 20w.

Last edited:
Yes I hear a lot of hate for the reasonably priced oils on BITOG but the fact is that everyone I've used have given me great UOA and the Corolla has ran very well and used very little oil. A lot of the haters on here can't say the same thing. I'll stick with what works and is the cheapest on sale because the difference is so little realistically they can't support their BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back