Ca 2051 2425 2397

Ba 1 0 0

P 687 739 720

Zn 751 834 789

Fuel%
Soot
Water
Vis100c 7.3 6.7 7.3

Added 1 quart of makeup oil. IOLM was at 15%.

The wear metals are negligible. Some fuel dilution is probably occurring but isn't causing anything bad to happen. I have gone to 5W30 this oil change hoping to minimize wear on the cam phasers but nothing indicates an issue at this point.

BTW: dnewton3 there is a fuel pump mounted on the right bank. It appears to be driven by the exhaust camshaft.

Nothing has that much titanium AW+FM. Castrol only puts in half or less that amount. Valvoline similar.
Your plan to go to 5w30 is fine, as visc only goes up 15% hot, not too much. Leaves you some room for towing or hot weather effects. Not absolutely necessary though.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Nothing has that much titanium AW+FM. Castrol only puts in half or less that amount. Valvoline similar.
Your plan to go to 5w30 is fine, as visc only goes up 15% hot, not too much. Leaves you some room for towing or hot weather effects. Not absolutely necessary though.

It's a different Ti. Castrol's is patented and in-house.

smart move, girlfriends 13 malibu 2.5L LS sucked the dexos 5-20 oil when new, went to 10-30 + was good for a while, but at 60,xxx consumption is increasing so its euro spec 5-40, a trade will be next if it gets worse. no more GM junk for her!

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies

PQIA tested GT-1 5W20, found Ti at 106. I ran a new sample through Polaris and they found Ti at 110.

Originally Posted by Env1ous
Isn't there an issue with the 5.0s eating oil?

Eating oil? No. They do have piston oilers which may contribute to some oil consumption. I added a quart at about 4500 miles. Over 100,000 miles, that turns out to be a total of 108 quarts for both add oil and changes if you follow the 10k drain interval. Or, you can just change it every 5k and "only" use 176 quarts.

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 19-2058
5.0L - Excessive Oil Consumption

01 March 2019

Model: Ford 2018 F-150

Issue: Some 2018 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine may exhibit excessive oil consumption
with no visible oil leaks.

Action: Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all of the
following criteria:
• 2018 F-150
• 5.0L engine

Service Procedure
For repairs covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, completion of the procedure outlined in
this TSB does not require obtaining Prior Approval or completion of a Cost Cap.
1. Visually inspect for engine oil leaks. Are any visible leaks present?
(1). Yes - this article does not apply. Refer to the Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-01D.
(2). No - proceed to Step 2.
2. Replace the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve. Refer to WSM, Section 303-08D.
3. Drain the engine oil and remove the oil filter. Install a new manufacturer-specified oil filter. Make sure
the vehicle is positioned on a level surface and, using oil specified by the manufacturer, refill the oil pan
to a level 1L (1 quart) less than the specified fill level.
4. Run the engine for 3 minutes if hot or 10 minutes if cold. Allow for a minimum 15 minute drain back
period and then record the oil level shown on the oil level indicator. Place a mark on the backside of the
oil level indicator noting the oil level location.
5. Add the final 1L (1 quart) to complete the normal oil fill. Restart the engine and allow it to idle for 2
minutes. Turn off the engine.
6. After a 15 minute drain back period, record the location of the oil level. Mark the oil level indicator with
the new oil level location.
NOTE: Both marks should be very close to the MIN-MAX upper and lower limits or the upper and
lower holes on the oil level indicator. These marks will exactly measure the engine's use of oil,
with a one quart differential between the new marks.
7. Demonstrate to the customer the factory-calibrated marks on the oil level indicator are where the oil
should fall after an oil change with the specified fill amount. Explain this may vary slightly between MINMAX
or the upper and lower holes on the oil level indicator.
8. Record the vehicle mileage.
9. Advise the customer that oil level indicator readings must be taken every 320 km (200 mi) or weekly,
using the revised marks as drawn. Remind the customer the engine needs a minimum 15 minute drain
back for an accurate reading and the oil level indicator must be firmly seated in the tube prior to taking
the reading.
10. When the subsequent indicator readings demonstrate a full liter (quart) has been used, record the
vehicle mileage. The mileage driven should not be less than 4,800 km (3,000 mi). The drive cycle the
vehicle has been operated under must be considered when making this calculation. It may be necessary
to have the customer bring the vehicle in for a periodic oil level indicator reading to closely monitor oil
usage.
11. Does the measured oil consumption exceed 4,800 km (3,000 mi) per liter (quart)?
(1). Yes - proceed to Step 12.
(2). No - vehicle is operating normally, no repairs are necessary. Repair is complete.
12. Replace the engine long block assembly. Refer to WSM, Section 303-01D.

© 2019 Ford Motor Company
All rights reserved.
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge,
tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or
provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do
not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the
Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended
Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was
current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supersede this information with updates. The most recent
information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Nice report, wear is low but I just don't like how low the viscosity gets with these. They seem to have a bit of fuel dilution. I have moved to a 5w-30 on mine as well. My iolm tends to get me closer to 5-6k before alerting to change the oil. No real highway trips and while I have noticed some minor oil consumption on 20 grades, it seems to have slowed down tremendously on 30 grades also as the engine ages it has gotten a lot better.

Originally Posted by advocate
Nice report, wear is low but I just don't like how low the viscosity gets with these. They seem to have a bit of fuel dilution. I have moved to a 5w-30 on mine as well. My iolm tends to get me closer to 5-6k before alerting to change the oil. No real highway trips and while I have noticed some minor oil consumption on 20 grades, it seems to have slowed down tremendously on 30 grades also as the engine ages it has gotten a lot better.

7.3 cst at 100C is not low and the engine will not wear less with a 30 grade versus 20.

His report before that was at 6.7, yes wear is nice and low. For me though that's a little on the light side. And these engines seem to be built a bit on the looser side of things. I prefer a bit of a thicker oil in these. Many are having good luck with anything from a 20 to 50 grade oil. These are't fussy on oil at all. My personal preference though is for something thicker, ford even recommends this on the mustang (essentially the same engine) if you track or drive the car hard.

Originally Posted by doyall

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 19-2058
5.0L - Excessive Oil Consumption

01 March 2019

Model: Ford 2018 F-150

Issue: Some 2018 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine may exhibit excessive oil consumption
with no visible oil leaks.

That's the one I was thinking about. So it is only the 2018's for now.

Thanks!

Glad to see your engine seems to have avoided the consumption issue, getting a new engine isn't fun! I would expect to start seeing fuel dilution similar to the ecoboost pop up on here now that the 5.0 is DI/PI too, likely slightly less due to the lack of snails.

Yep you have a high pressure fuel pump for the DI on the valve cover of the right bank, it has its own lobe on the cam that drives it. If you ever notice a lot of fuel dilution the seals can fail and dump fuel into the crankcase.

Ford's 5.0 and 5.2 V8 seem to be notorious for issues like oil consumption and noise. Car and Driver had a long term Shelby GT350 that went through 21 quarts of make-up oil in about 30k-40k miles. That's basically 1 qt of synthetic 5W-50 every 2k miles.

Wear is trending down very nicely!
10k miles easily doable. IOLM will tell you it's probably 0% around 10k, but clearly the actual wear data shows it could go well past 10k. Follow the IOLM for the sake of warranty if that's your desire.

Motor on happily!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back